Tell me about your wedges

Parrot

Bird of the People
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been playing the King MIM wedges since August 2020. I have the itch. What wedges are you playing? What are your likes or dislikes of them?

I'm really interested in the Edel SMS but I'd buy steel and reshaft with Recoils and then add my grip. At $199 per, plus the additional costs, I'd be looking somewhere in the $250ish range each and that's a hard pill to swallow.

Help me spend some money.

callaway jaws md5 raw. i love 'em. the raw finish is great at reducing a little glare. the feel is fantastic. when i make a decent swing, there was plenty of spin to make the ball do whatever you want. just one of my favorite wedges of all time.

Cobra MiM 52* and Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56* here. Have really liked the feel of the Cobra MiM wedges and when I replaced my 56, really liking the CBX quite a bit as well.

Those Edel SMS wedges are 🔥🔥🔥

PM grind continues to be untouchable in the lob wedge spot.

Really enjoyed the rtx zipcore in sandwedge.
Trialing the SMS in same spot now. TBD.

SMS wedges all day. They're worth the cash IMO. Look super clean. Performance is fantastic. This is the first non-Callaway wedge I've played since before the '17 Grandaddy and I couldn't be happier with them. They check all the boxes for me.

The grind choices were a little daunting for me, but they give you as many options as you could possibly need.

Have you considered the Ballistic shafts? Would be a shame to waste the hosel and grip combos that are available direct from Edel.

Prior to the Cobra wedges, I played the Hogan Equalizers. They are very good. Before that I played Cleveland wedges for 20 years. I loved the Cleveland 900s raw and how they rusted. I was able to pick up a couple of sets of them a few years later and had them on hand when the first set wore down or I felt I needed to change. Eventually, I played the RTX 3.0s.

I play a Cleveland RTX CB in my 50* slot. Been a great forgiving and versatile club for me. Use it from 110 all the way to 65-70 yards. I also have a Cleveland Zipcore that I use around the green, when I don't have much green to work with. Love the spin, feel, and consistency I get.

So that takes me to the part where I spend your money :p

I'd take a hard look at the Cleveland CBX Zipcore, because if I combined my wedges, that's what I'd get. I think the blend of forgiveness and performance would be a perfect match in both approach shots, as well as touch shots. Price is good for what you get, and while I haven't gamed them, I think they are a great overall wedge.

Not really. Maybe I need a wedge fitting.

Certainly couldn't hurt! Think Golftec can do those. @ryang13 could probably provide some feedback as well. IIRC that's the shaft he went with in his at the Edel event.

Callaway Jaws full toe are in the bag. I have a 54-60 and they are really good. I like the feel of them.

traditionally I have been a cleveland guy for a long time. Currently I am working with some Edel wedges.

I have Ping Stealth Glide 2's in the bag in 52 and 56. Thinking about adding a 60, but I'm not sure how much use I'd realistically get out of it.

Certainly couldn't hurt! Think Golftec can do those. @ryang13 could probably provide some feedback as well. IIRC that's the shaft he went with in his at the Edel event.
A fitting would certainly help me figure out which grind is best for me. At least, I think it would. This grind or that one, or heel and/or toe relief, confuse me more the more I read about them it seems.

20220522_212251.jpg

Done

A fitting would certainly help me figure out which grind is best for me. At least, I think it would. This grind or that one, or heel and/or toe relief, confuse me more the more I read about them it seems.

Would be nice to dial in the weights for sure. I'm gonna get around to doing a full Edel putter fitting here eventually. When I do, I'm probably going to ask them to take a look at my wedge swing as well to get some affirmation at least!

I have a near-new 58-degree full-face Cleveland RTX wedge I'll sell for $95 with shipping included. I put a new SuperStroke grip on it and used it for just a few rounds. There was a lot I liked about it, but it was noticeably heavier than my Cleveland 588 wedge. I put the 588 back in the bag as I just liked the weight of it better.

My favorite wedge of all is the oldest club in my bag, and I won't part with that until it has no groove left! It's a Cleveland Diadic 53-degree with a raw finish.

RTXSole.jpgRTXface.jpgRTXall.jpg

I’m playing the Cleveland CBX2 and Smart Sole wedges because I want the forgiveness. You should look at Ben Hogan Equalizer II wedges. Great value, look phenomenal, super skinny, and recoil is a stock option.

I’m playing the Cleveland CBX2 and Smart Sole wedges because I want the forgiveness. You should look at Ben Hogan Equalizer II wedges. Great value, look phenomenal, super skinny, and recoil is a stock option.
Good idea. I'll keep checking the demo program for shaft options.

I am digging my zipcores but they feel is pretty different compared to the Cobra’s to me, fwiw, but I had the snakebite, not MIM

I’ve also dabbled with the CBX Zipcores and I like them, just note the sole is good size, not sure what grind your have on the cobras.

Do you think you want some forgiveness?

The other wedge to look at that doesn’t get enough love is the CBX full face wedges. They feel great, have a bit of love, but I think 56 is the strongest loft it goes.

I've used Ping, multiple different Cleveland, Mizuno, and now Edel SMS. The Edel are by far my favorite wedges I've ever played.

I'd say wait just a little longer...

Back