The 3W Slot - What to do?

Looks like you're looking for that primarily tee club that has added benefit of easy elevation off the deck. The unicorn if you will... that is exactly how I use my fw. That slot has often been the never ending hot seat for me. Since I've put the titleist 917 f2 16.5 in the bag it's been rock solid. Weird since i m not much of a titleist guy. I've got it set to d1, which turns down the loft .75 making it 15.75 and it's a no after off the tee and easy off the deck. The bigger head size gives confidence off the tee and has just enough loft to help get it up off the deck

So I've been thinking and thinking about this, and I think I've eliminated the extra driver option. Now it's down to - stick with the Mini 16*, or switch to a traditional FW at 15* or 16*. I know I like my XR16 19* with ProLaunch Blue, so I'm really thinking about trying to put together that same combination with a 15* XR16 head to stack it up against the Mini. Launch monitor time will be key.

Looks like you're looking for that primarily tee club that has added benefit of easy elevation off the deck. The unicorn if you will... that is exactly how I use my fw. That slot has often been the never ending hot seat for me. Since I've put the titleist 917 f2 16.5 in the bag it's been rock solid. Weird since i m not much of a titleist guy. I've got it set to d1, which turns down the loft .75 making it 15.75 and it's a no after off the tee and easy off the deck. The bigger head size gives confidence off the tee and has just enough loft to help get it up off the deck

Exactly similar for what I have done with my RBX Stage 2 HL. When you find that unicorn, you better stick with it. Who am I kidding??? I just quoted Kang. You'll have 2-3 more unicorns by the time I have this posted.

I recently purchased a 17' M2 Tour 3HL. I almost play it more than my driver now. The things a beast. Unfortunately I only have one swing with it and that's full out lol, meaning it's probably a 260ish club off the tee for me, but it's a fairway finder.
For me I have trouble hitting hybrids so I rely a lot on my long irons so I'm not help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a mini driver in the bag at 14* in my 3W slot.

I'm hearing a lot of TM HL woods being mentioned, which are essentially 4 woods if I remember correctly. Maybe I gotta go hit me an M1/2 next time I'm at a golf store.

@OITW I'm rocking the 16* mini driver right now, I'm just vacillating on whether I want to stick with it or go with a more typical 3W for off the deck versatility and ability to shape shots. Plus I find that every so often I have a BIG hook in the bag with this mini, though I'm sure what exactly that's tied to.

I ended up with Driver, 13* 3 wood, 3 wood adjusted to 17*, then a fwy wood that I adjust from 6 wood to 7 wood depending on which course.

It's been a little while since I've been on a monitor - need to get on one again soon to have a better idea - but based on course and range lately, and what I remember from my last fitting, on solid strikes we're looking at approximately (carry):

Driver: 230-245 yds
Mini: 225-240 yds
5W: 210-220 yds
4H: 200-210 yds

Your gaps mean you aren't maximizing your distance with your driver. Spend the money on driving lessons instead of a new club. You should be getting 250-270 with driver based on your other distances. I would guess that you are hitting down with your driver instead of sweeping it up. Post a front on video and tadashi70 will give you some good pointers i bet.

Your gaps mean you aren't maximizing your distance with your driver. Spend the money on driving lessons instead of a new club. You should be getting 250-270 with driver based on your other distances. I would guess that you are hitting down with your driver instead of sweeping it up. Post a front on video and tadashi70 will give you some good pointers i bet.

He gave carry distances though. His roll out probably isn't far off the distances you mention.

Dave

My set goes Driver, 3W(16deg), 3H, I messed around with different woods and different hybrids and settled on this. Can't really say why but it all seems to work together for me. Distance and all. Every club has its purpose

He gave carry distances though. His roll out probably isn't far off the distances you mention.

Dave
dthrog is correct, they are carry distances and the driver rolls much further than the mini. But, I'm sure BMD is at least somewhat right, I certainly don't always get all I should out of driver. Part of the reason I'm thinking of shortening the shaft - I strike it better when I choke up.

After yesterday, I'm not so sure I want to mess with the mini driver setup. I hit it 3 times yesterday on placement drives or layups a little short of where driver should go, and all of them I hit on a rope. I am considering a different shaft or maybe a little lead tape to combat the big pull I sometimes have.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

After the way you were striping my old M1 3HL with Hzrdus Black, you should buy one of those and never look back.

After the way you were striping my old M1 3HL with Hzrdus Black, you should buy one of those and never look back.
Probably... How long was that shaft? 44.5? Step 1 is probably to try cutting my gamer down to there.

Also wasn't it an M2?

Probably... How long was that shaft? 44.5? Step 1 is probably to try cutting my gamer down to there.

Also wasn't it an M2?

1" short which I believe puts it at 42.25" overall length.

1" short which I believe puts it at 42.25" overall length.
Oh you mean the 3W. Yeah that too. I thought you meant the driver (which I was also striping)

Driver was 44".
It certainly all speaks to cutting everything short, that's for sure.

It certainly all speaks to cutting everything short, that's for sure.

Cutting short is one thing, but it's important to get the weight right after doing so IMO. Both those heads had added weight to them.

Cutting short is one thing, but it's important to get the weight right after doing so IMO. Both those heads had added weight to them.
Yeah for sure. The beauty of the Triton is it's easy to stuff up with Polyfill. Plus there's always lead.

I use a stock stiff XR (not xr16) 3w. I gave up on driver. 3 wood, 3&4 hybrids, all XR, and a 21* driving iron.
I have tried new drivers and all sorts of new adjustable 3 woods, and can't get anything to carry as far as my current 3w. Same or worse. Only exception was the Cobra F7 fairway, but it only carried 1 yd. farther.

Back