I ditched my 3w for a 4w and so far it’s working well. I can hit it more consistently than the 3w. In the next slot I am about to try a 3h at 19°. If that doesn’t work out I’ll go back to a 3 ironwood or 7w.
35cd367f209869ab31fbee38d2ab9ada.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve put a 17° Super Hybrid in the 5W spot and haven’t even thought about putting a 5W in the bag.

Love it. Perfect 200-210 yard club, easy to launch and fills the gap in the bag perfectly.

I’ve got my heavenwood in the bag and overlaps in distances. Currently go Hw-3w

I love 5 woods.

Getting one that looks right is critical. Too large of a head and I think it will go to the moon. Loft needs to look right too. Again needs to have the right amount, but not look like the ball will go straight into the air.

I play mine short. Usually around 41"-41.5". I then usually play it around 18*. Again I want enough loft so I can land it soft but low enough that it doesnt spin up too much.

I switch between a utility iron and a 5 wood. But honestly, I think the 5 wood is an all around better club for me. I can hit it high and low off the tee. Shape the ball as needed. And with the additional forgiveness over a hybrid and long iron have more confidence to hit a variety of shots.

I cannot for the life of me hit a 5w (3w included) off the deck.....therefore 3H is in that spot. Most time I go from driver to 3H.

I have never, ever in my golfing career been able to hit a 5W. Even after taking lessons and eliminating the slice with every other club, I cannot hit a 5W straight. Consequently I replaced it with a hybrid many years ago and have never looked back.

This one always intrigues me, it’s the weapon of choice for most Pro’s in their bags, yet most amateurs opt for hybrids and such in that spot. I myself am just about to commit to the rest of the season with a 5w to give it a go and see the pros and cons for my game.

What’s your take on the 5-Wood? Love it? Leave it? Why do you feel the way you do? If you don’t play one, what do you play in that slot?
Haven’t played one in many many years. Got fit for the Mav Max 5w at the Grandaddy and now it’s my favorite club.

I’ve actually been thinking of putting the 5W in the bag and going straight to irons. Helps that the Apex 4i is surprisingly easy to hit. I think there’d be a bit of a gap though.

The difference between a 3W and 5W off the deck in terms of how easy they are to hit is pretty large for me. I almost wonder if a way to split the difference and get the gapping right is to go 4w/7w though.

I used to carry a 5W all the time until I broke it. The hybrids were becoming popular so I replaced my old Orlimar Tri-metal 5 wood with a hybrid.
I liked how it got through the rough a little better than the 5 wood and have stayed with the hybrids since.
My old 18* degree hybrid needs upgrading so I may give a 5 wood a look.

I selected a 5w for the MC and its currently the least favorite club in the bag. dont have much of a use for it and distance seems to be very short

I think I need to try a different shaft in there

I play a weak 5w as my 7w/heavenwood replacement. Basically, I wanted a subzero 7w and since no one actually really needs that, I made my own haha.

Love it. Tee, fairway, doesn't matter. Give me something that'll work on shorter par 4's, long par 3's, or par 5's that I can attack :love:
And I went with a Strong Heavenwood as my 5w/7w replacement and Love mine as well - It's workhorse in the bag.

I had a 5w in the bag for a long time and it's been rotated in and out for a 2 iron/driving iron. I have a driving iron in that spot now, and don't foresee myself switching back anytime soon. I am much more comfortable with it off the tee. Like jtdox, I didn't feel comfortable with much loft in a FW off the tee. I hit the driving much lower and have more control with it.

I'm still getting used to my "5" wood, but when I hit it well, it goes great, when I don't it's usually was low burner. It's only been in the bag for this season, so, it will just take time and repetition. Not love, but a serious attraction after the first few dates.

Just recently put an Epic Flash SZ 5wd with HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 shaft in the bag. So far, I'm loving it.

I picked up a Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood last year. It was my longest fairway wood in the bag until I picked up an Epic Flash 3 wood after the price drop from CPO. I picked up the 3 wood as I wanted a little more distance off the tee than the 5 wood gave me.

5w is probably my favorite club in the bag and always ends up being so no matter when I change something. Only scenario I could see with not having one is if I ended up going with a 4W at some point (ditching the 3/5 combo).

Haven’t played one in many many years. Got fit for the Mav Max 5w at the Grandaddy and now it’s my favorite club.
I added the five wood to the bag and absolutely love it. I have found a variety of situations to use it in. If im not in position to go in two on a par five i use it to put me in good position for a good third shot. It is just so consistent. Im finding it much more consistent and easier for me to control than a 3 hybrid. The first time i had it i had pulled a drive left on a par five that has a row of trees which i was on the wrong side of. Decided to give it a shot try to hit it down the line and fade it over the trees. Didnt know if i could get the height and pull it off but i hit it and over the trees and long no problem. Nice to know i can do that and have had opportunities since then and same result. Previously in these situations i would have hit a seven or eight iron to get back in play.Glad i added a five wood to the bag its a versatile club and it is nice to feel confident and have positive thoughts and expecting to hit it well before the shot.

I have a 5-wood sitting in the closet and I'm pondering the notion of replacing my hybrid with it. I went to a hybrid years ago because it was more effective out of rough and fairway bunkers.

I sure don't like my hybrid now because it is offset so maybe I'll game the 5-wood to see how she works out.

I've been gaming a 5W for just under a year. After so many unsuccessful attempts to find a low lofted hybrid I could trust I decided to book a fitting to let an expert figure out that spot in my bag. About an hour in after many, many hybrid models and combos he asked the right question ... Would you consider a 5W? Night and day. Accuracy and carry consistency shot up, potential for penal hooks shot down. Per the data compiled in my 'approach' spreadsheet the benefits of the swap to 5W have carried over to the course in a big way so far.

Went back to one a few years ago. Tried to fill the spot with a hybrid, but alas hybrids and myself just can’t get along. Left all day.
Currently have the Epic Flash 5w in the bag and have no plans of changing. Great out of the rough and off the deck. Can work it either direction when needed.

Today just reiterated how much I like the 5w. Very versatile for me, and typically can count on it performing in most all conditions.

I most often play hybrid in this spot, and to be honest I have never actually played a 5w since the '90's. I bought an OG Epic HW but never really gave it more than ten swings.

So, in the spirit of experimentation, this thread inspired a purchase. 5w inbound thanks @fairwaynut

I most often play hybrid in this spot, and to be honest I have never actually played a 5w since the '90's. I bought an OG Epic HW but never really gave it more than ten swings.

So, in the spirit of experimentation, this thread inspired a purchase. 5w inbound thanks @fairwaynut

You're most welcome, sir!!! :)

Back