The 60 and over Thread

I did just a bit more than that. Closing the stance like that definitely helps change the swing path to more in to out. I've seen some good results with that for guys who slice their drivers.

View attachment RPReplay_Final1702740590.mov
This is pretty close to to my current swing. My right foot is slightly flared, but my left foot is flared more to be able to turn through the ball at impact. The only difference is I’m working on closing the face on the follow through more than what I’m doing here. I probably could move my right foot back and close my stance a little to get more turn. With the left foot flared that still may limit my backswing some though. My goal this winter is to maintain or increase my swing speed. Another 5 mph would be great.

67 here. This is my 9th year.

Last year picked up a used set of ping eye 2's to go with my age. lol

Still walking 18 holes.

Try to walk, do some push up's , planks, stretching and ball free swings every day. Plus an hour of Dick's Picks.

As the saying goes "If I keep Trucking", I'll keep Truckin'"
Three years later. Turning 71 in the early spring. Still WFH and still remember my name.

Thankfully, still walking 18 and doing the daily routine. Added a heavy fan for winter swinging. Trying to do 40 swings three days a week just to keep the golf swinging muscles from losing strength as fast.

Got through Dicks picks three times. Now moved on to Dead and company live sets. I'm midway through live 2019. Wasn't a big John Mayer fan until he started playing with Bobby Weir.

I’m still playing 14 clubs with my puny 85 mph swing speed. You can see the clubs below. Here’s my average distances.

Driver - 215
FW - 190
21* HyWay - 175
4H - 165
5H - 155
6I - 145
7I - 135
8I - 125
9I - 115
PW - 105
GW - 95
53* Edison 2.0 - 80
58* Vokey 65

Played today with temp tees and greens. Course play really short, shot 66. LOL

At GolfTec today, after the lesson, we did a couple skills assessments. First with the driver and the score sucked; however, the left/right of center average was 12 yards. Then we did a short game assessment from 10- 100 yards. Max score was a 35, I got a 29 on the first try. Good to know I’m pretty good from 100 yards in.
What length do you play the courses usually?

View attachment 9230688
This is pretty close to to my current swing. My right foot is slightly flared, but my left foot is flared more to be able to turn through the ball at impact. The only difference is I’m working on closing the face on the follow through more than what I’m doing here. I probably could move my right foot back and close my stance a little to get more turn. With the left foot flared that still may limit my backswing some though. My goal this winter is to maintain or increase my swing speed. Another 5 mph would be great.
Your swing looks very good to me. I would be interested in what any experts on here have to say. I'm not sure if more turn will produce more clubhead speed but it seems like it should.

Was at the practice green today with the Lean Lock putter. 49* in December, the course was open. I was the only person on the big (90'x60') green with 8 holes cut in it. I'm at the far end of the green from the clubhouse putting to one hole, not from hole to hole, because I wanted to remove all the variables while using the new putter. Guy comes all the way down to where I am practicing and starts chipping to the only hole in use, the one I am putting to from 6'. His ball hits mine in mid roll, I look at him and say, "Really? You have 7 other holes and you have to hit to the only other one in use? " He starts cussing at me in Korean. Practically fainted, then ran away when I told him in Korean to run along and play with his donkey.

Last edited:
I‘m intrigued by your setup, It’s really cool.
i have to ask though… I totally get your 7h- GW setup, but the 52&54* wedges seems weird ( for lack of a better word) why not a 56 or 58 instead of those, or at least instead of the 54?
At the top I’m also curious how much separation you have between the 3h and 7w? A 9w sounds like a fun club to hit… I’d imagine it gaps very well in between your 7w and 7h.
I made a startling discovery this year, I got a Club Champion fitting through THP. It was an eye opener, swing speed was a consistent 63 MPH. The swing I was using was only giving me worm burners. During the fitting I was moving the ball back in my stance to get better contact, the fitter was wanting me to move the ball forward in my stance. And I kept hitting worm burners, when I did. I had some clubs made up at Diamond Tour and Monarch golf 1 inch over standard, diamond tour was my hybrids, 3,7,8. Monarch made my driver, 14* and 1 inch over standard. Now I'm going to my new stance with right foot open and back about an inch. Right open to about 1 o'clock, and moving the ball toward the middle of my stance. I don't have much of aback swing and I was coming in too steep on the ball. The new stance should help me make better contact with the ball. My 3 h I think will give me about 170 and 7 wood about 160. If not then I have to figure something e3lse out.

I made a startling discovery this year, I got a Club Champion fitting through THP. It was an eye opener, swing speed was a consistent 63 MPH. The swing I was using was only giving me worm burners. During the fitting I was moving the ball back in my stance to get better contact, the fitter was wanting me to move the ball forward in my stance. And I kept hitting worm burners, when I did. I had some clubs made up at Diamond Tour and Monarch golf 1 inch over standard, diamond tour was my hybrids, 3,7,8. Monarch made my driver, 14* and 1 inch over standard. Now I'm going to my new stance with right foot open and back about an inch. Right open to about 1 o'clock, and moving the ball toward the middle of my stance. I don't have much of aback swing and I was coming in too steep on the ball. The new stance should help me make better contact with the ball. My 3 h I think will give me about 170 and 7 wood about 160. If not then I have to figure something e3lse out.
You mean you have 63 mph clubhead speed with your driver? Was that measured directly or estimated from ball speed? For fittings to be of any use you have to be making center contact most of the time.

If your contact was poor and smash factors were low then estimated clubhead speed would be lower than if measured directly.

Your swing looks very good to me. I would be interested in what any experts on here have to say. I'm not sure if more turn will produce more clubhead speed but it seems like it should.
Here’s what we were actually working on:
IMG_0278.jpeg
After:
IMG_0279.jpeg
The difference is the rotation in the forearms in the follow through. The first one is open causing a push/fade. The second one is rotating the face closed to cause a draw. It in the hand position.

You mean you have 63 mph clubhead speed with your driver? Was that measured directly or estimated from ball speed? For fittings to be of any use you have to be making center contact most of the time.

If your contact was poor and smash factors were low then estimated clubhead speed would be lower than if measured directly.
No we only hit 5 irons.

No we only hit 5 irons.
Hmmm. I just looked at my 6I swing speed. I’m at 70mph with a 6. How far are you hitting that 5?

Was at the practice green today with the Lean Lock putter. 49* in December, the course was open. I was the only person on the big (90'x60') green with 8 holes cut in it. I'm at the far end of the green from the clubhouse putting to one hole, not from hole to hole, because I wanted to remove all the variables while using the new putter. Guy comes all the way down to where I am practicing and starts chipping to the only hole in use, the one I am putting to from 6'. His ball hits mine in mid roll, I look at him and say, "Really? You have 7 other holes and you have to hit to the only other one in use? " He starts cussing at me in Korean. Practically fainted, then ran away when I told him in Korean to run along and play with his donkey.
Yeah had a similar thing happened to me in McDonald's, put my coffee and bag on a table went to get some paper towels and came back and an old guy is sitting in front of my coffee and bag 😕 I say that's my spot he stands up next to me issues the challenge by his body language and I just stand waiting to see what he's going to do. I'm thinking my right hand is in a lot of pain around the ring finger so I'm thinking if he starts I'm using my knees and or elbow, I'm hoping I've remembered enough karate as it's been 10 years since I practiced 🤔 at the next table are 2 15 y/o girls watching and wondering if 2 old guys are going to fight. He moved away (fortunately) and I would say I've recently been pissed at the way some people's lack of manners and might of got nasty in my reply... Crazy world 🌎 huh..

LOL...great story!

It's like going to a virtually empty driving range and some guy decides to hit right next to you.

Hmmm. I just looked at my 6I swing speed. I’m at 70mph with a 6. How far are you hitting that 5?
I don't use a 5, had to for fitting. I guess my 7 wood is my 5 iron now, I hit it about 160. If you look at my signature, mu irons start at 9. I have a 7 and 8 hybrid.

I don't worry too much about distance. If I play the right tees, it isn't an issue. My main focus is on scoring.

Great story; you're the THP's own Frank Costanza!

I don't use a 5, had to for fitting. I guess my 7 wood is my 5 iron now, I hit it about 160. If you look at my signature, mu irons start at 9. I have a 7 and 8 hybrid.
I put a 6h in my bag last season and my irons start with the 7. So, I have both a 5h and 6h.

I don't worry too much about distance. If I play the right tees, it isn't an issue. My main focus is on scoring.
I don't worry about distance per say, but need about 190 -200 out of driver and 160-170 out of my second shot to score.

I put a 6h in my bag last season and my irons start with the 7. So, I have both a 5h and 6h.
I'm thinking I will put a 5 or 6 hybrid in my bad, if the 7 wood doesn't work.

I'm thinking I will put a 5 or 6 hybrid in my bad, if the 7 wood doesn't work.
I have a 7 wood. I hit it longer than I do the 5h. The loft on the 7 is 21 and the 5h is 24.

I don't worry about distance per say, but need about 190 -200 out of driver and 160-170 out of my second shot to score.
If your driver goes 190-200 I'm guessing that 160-170 shot is a 7W or 3H? I'd be interested in the GIRs you're able to achieve doing that.

I hit similar distances and for me the GIRs would be infrequent with those clubs from those distances.

Back