The 60 and over Thread

I got a full bag fitting at Club Champion and my fitter found shafts for my irons and driver that gave me more distance.
So now my drives are short but respectable. Especially when they are consistently in the middle of a narrow fairway!

I have a really weird neurology that has gotten weirder after having a stroke and recovered with two decades of rehab.
I'm cross dominant with my left having better fine motion and my right being stronger.
I normally butcher meat with my right but I can do that with my left as well.
What this means in golf is that my normal swing is a fade, but now that I'm hitting draws when course management suggests it,
I seem to have less trouble with mishits when I hit a draw! The rare miss is a very short hook so I just pick up the ball.
Compared to the slice in the woods. The rollout of a straight draw is very nice.

I survived my first round on a busy hot summer day. Mid 80s with lots of humidity.
The carts got stacked up the 7th hole and I got to sit down on a bench in the shade!
Only one bad shot on the last 3 holes. I sliced an easy approach shot and lost the ball in the woods.
I drop another on the dirt and roll it up the green. It lands within 8 feet of the hole. I sink the 8 ft putt.

I got a full bag fitting at Club Champion and my fitter found shafts for my irons and driver that gave me more distance.
So now my drives are short but respectable. Especially when they are consistently in the middle of a narrow fairway!

I have a really weird neurology that has gotten weirder after having a stroke and recovered with two decades of rehab.
I'm cross dominant with my left having better fine motion and my right being stronger.
I normally butcher meat with my right but I can do that with my left as well.
What this means in golf is that my normal swing is a fade, but now that I'm hitting draws when course management suggests it,
I seem to have less trouble with mishits when I hit a draw! The rare miss is a very short hook so I just pick up the ball.
Compared to the slice in the woods. The rollout of a straight draw is very nice.

I survived my first round on a busy hot summer day. Mid 80s with lots of humidity.
The carts got stacked up the 7th hole and I got to sit down on a bench in the shade!
Only one bad shot on the last 3 holes. I sliced an easy approach shot and lost the ball in the woods.
I drop another on the dirt and roll it up the green. It lands within 8 feet of the hole. I sink the 8 ft putt.

I sent you a PM.

At first I thought the "retire already" was directed at me. I am having too much fun to retire. I might change my mind this winter after 16 straight hours of snowplowing a busy urban interstate full of window lickers that brake check a semi with plow and pulling a 46' tri axle salt wagon because they don't think I should be in the left lane..but for now, I'll just pad the pension.
I have no advice on your retirement, but, thanks for keeping those roads safe for us all winter

I would try making adjustments on your g400, which is a great club by all the comments I have read. Go to the range, try making the adjustment, and hit 25 balls to see if it makes a difference in ball flight. Don't change your swing, just swing as you normally do. If you hit the first couple offline, don't stop. If going offline persists, but the distance is markedly better, try making a slight adjustment to your grip-try a "stronger" grip. This can insure that your clubface is not open at impact. You could even get on a simulator if it available in your area, that way you will know what the clubhead is doing at impact. Launch angle will also be shown, so you will know if it is lower than what you originally had. Set a baseline with what you have now, make the adjustment, see if there is a significant change in ball flight, distance, direction. Just a suggestion...
Good advice. I might try lowering the loft back to 10.5* or even 9.9* which is the small - (-.6) on the hosel.

My BIL is 80 and still works full time. He likes his job too much (he runs a company), and says he'd get board if he retired.
If all he knows outside of home and family is working then he probably would be. I retired five years ago at sixty-six. The only times I've been bored was when I didn't feel like doing anything I could or should be doing. Then there's always reading and napping :)

Last edited:
I just turned 67 and still play the white tees. I can usually play the blue tees if I want, but prefer the white tees. My yardage generally that I like is 5,800-6,200 yds. I am a 15 handicap right now and generally shoot mid-80s to 90. I just played a private course the other day which was 6,361 yds and shot an 82. Come back another day and I could shoot 92 although. My biggest issue right now is my right ankle which doctor say needs to have the subtalar joint welded together because it is bone on bone basically. I have been stalling a long time hoping the issue will go away,😔 I know it won't.

I just turned 67 and still play the white tees. I can usually play the blue tees if I want, but prefer the white tees. My yardage generally that I like is 5,800-6,200 yds. I am a 15 handicap right now and generally shoot mid-80s to 90. I just played a private course the other day which was 6,361 yds and shot an 82. Come back another day and I could shoot 92 although. My biggest issue right now is my right ankle which doctor say needs to have the subtalar joint welded together because it is bone on bone basically. I have been stalling a long time hoping the issue will go away,😔 I know it won't.
Ain’t getting old fun, not! .. I sure hope when you do get your ankle corrected, it goes smoothly.

Had injections for my back and they did help. But only for a couple months. I was going to play 18 yesterday but it was bothering me so much I stopped after 9. I called the doc to schedule another round of injections. He tells me burning the nerves will last longer but I have to do at least 3 injections before the insurance will approve it. Kinda sucks when you can't play 18 walking. So now I gotta break down and pay the cart fee if I want to do 18.

If all he knows outside of home and family is working then he probably would be. I retired five years ago at sixty-six. The only times I've been bored was when I didn't feel like doing anything I could or should be doing. Then there's always reading and napping :)
No, he and my sister travel extensively...been all over the world.

Hey guys, did anyone have difficulty adjusting to the Senior tees? I found myself always wanting to take out my fairwood wood (or hywood) for second shots (an old habit), when I didn't really need to. This happened on all of the par 5's. I could have easily taken a 6 or 5 iron and have been in great shape for my 3rd shot. Overall, my first round playing the Sr tees was a great experience. It was nice to be at or our inside the 150 marker on all of my approach shots!

I didn't have any problems, like you said it's nice to hit irons into greens instead of fairway woods or hybrids. Shooting for par instead of boogie or worse, now that is assuming I can hit the green and putt.:)

Last edited:
Hey guys, did anyone have difficulty adjusting to the Senior tees? I found myself always wanting to take out my fairwood wood (or hywood) for second shots (an old habit), when I didn't really need to. This happened on all of the par 5's. I could have easily taken a 6 or 5 iron and have been in great shape for my 3rd shot. Overall, my first round playing the Sr tees was a great experience. It was nice to be at or our inside the 150 marker on all of my approach shots!

I really didn't have any problem adjusting to senior tees at all. I found that I REALLY liked not having to hit a 5w or 9w for my second shot on every Par 4! It is a lot of fun to play every club in the bag and have a short iron approach shot occasionally.

At my home course, the senior tees are about 5,200 yards and to be honest, I wouldn't mind it if they were about 100 yards longer. The Par 5s at 440 to 470 yards work well for me, but at my home course they could easily make some of the Par 4s in the 300-320 yard range instead of 250-275.

Had injections for my back and they did help. But only for a couple months. I was going to play 18 yesterday but it was bothering me so much I stopped after 9. I called the doc to schedule another round of injections. He tells me burning the nerves will last longer but I have to do at least 3 injections before the insurance will approve it. Kinda sucks when you can't play 18 walking. So now I gotta break down and pay the cart fee if I want to do 18.

Heck, I can't play 9 walking! But not because of my back, because of my knees. ACL reconstructions and other issues. Even on some of the upscale daily fee courses with large greens complexes and cart paths that don't let you get too close to them, I can come off the course after a round with my knees just screaming!

The only "adjustment" I had to make is, "Oh, this is a 7-iron and not a 7-wood," lol.

I didn't have any problems, like you said it's nice to hit irons into greens instead of fairway woods or hybrids. Shooting for par instead of boogie or worse, now that is assuming I can hit the green and putt.:)
Which is why I work so hard on my short game. I get up and down a lot because I don't hit a ton of greens. The great thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so. This season I am averaging 29.4 putts per round (99 played so far).

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and went to my orthopedic guy for my "trigger finger", middle finger on my right, dominant, hand. He gave me a corticosteroid injection, and it hurt like a m'fer! Freezing the area wasn't pleasant to begin with, but the pressure he used at the end with the needle almost sent me to the ceiling! He told me not to do anything strenuous with my right hand and not to play golf until Thursday, tomorrow. Unfortunately, today is probably the last day to get a round in based on the rain in the forecast over the next several days. :(

Sitting here waiting for my DOT exam. BP was 128/78 but I am sure these buttholes will find a reason to give me my first ever only 1 year card...... We all hate this Concentra.

Attachments

• 16619518911361460271434463663727.jpg
    16619518911361460271434463663727.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
Just finished my 4 month follow up with my oncologist at Mayo. So far, good until next Feb for my next visit, moved to every 6 months ( yeah) . . What is a bummer, my saliva, impacted by radiation, and the removal of the major left gland by my ear is what it is, what I have is it. If after 2 years if it doesn't show up its pretty 100% is not coming back. Plus I have partial taste, that's not coming back either to its full potential either. Can't taste beef, but I can taste pork I know weird. Can't taste vanilla ice cream, but I can taste certain milk chocolates. My beers, can't taste "normal" beer as it taste really bitter, but porters and dark beers taste sweet o_O. I can handle pizza, but lite on the cheese since my weak saliva hardly helps to help break it down and it gums up. 🥴. Same with my fav grill cheese, lite on the cheese. My wife just freaks when its time to decide whats for supper or when we go out to eat. But, I can handle that. But good news none the less.

Great news, hope everything keeps going your way.

Good advice. I might try lowering the loft back to 10.5* or even 9.9* which is the small - (-.6) on the hosel.
You guys have made me winder about my driver, I just set it at + 1 and 2* closed. So it should be at 11.5 and 2 * closed , see if that gives me anymore distance.

You guys have made me winder about my driver, I just set it at + 1 and 2* closed. So it should be at 11.5 and 2 * closed , see if that gives me anymore distance.
Give it a try. It might help. However, there are people who think adjustable drivers are more marketing than science. Long time club maker Tom Wishon leads the pack of skeptics.

I've had discussions with a member in our foursome who turned 80 last year. He told us that he was moving up to the "red" tees since he turned 80 and to him that was the criterion. I tried to explain that the different tee markers weren't dependent on age, but on ability and personal preference. He insists that once you turn 80, not before 80, you can hit from the reds. Since moving to the red tees he now has at least a 35-50 yard advantage (sometimes more) off the tee. My take is that if it makes him happy, great!

I've had discussions with a member in our foursome who turned 80 last year. He told us that he was moving up to the "red" tees since he turned 80 and to him that was the criterion. I tried to explain that the different tee markers weren't dependent on age, but on ability and personal preference. He insists that once you turn 80, not before 80, you can hit from the reds. Since moving to the red tees he now has at least a 35-50 yard advantage (sometimes more) off the tee. My take is that if it makes him happy, great!

There's a course in the Pinehurst area that has like 7 tee boxes. It is based on the yardage of the tee shots. I think this is much better than Sr/Yellow, Lady/Red tees.

Give it a try. It might help. However, there are people who think adjustable drivers are more marketing than science. Long time club maker Tom Wishon leads the pack of skeptics.

I have a lot of respect for Tom Wishon. I also have his book "In Search of the Perfect Golf Club". I really remember the revelation that he gave about shaft performance, in that there is no objective standard for determining flex. Length, loft, and lie are all measurable and quantifiable. Shaft flex is whatever the manufacturer says it is! Totally subjective. He related an instance that occurred when he was working in a country club pro shop. When the light came through the windows at a certain angle, it was easy to see that the step downs on the driver shafts (stainless) did not line up from manufacturer to manufacturer. He checked and they were all True Temper shafts, so he called them to ask about their recommendations for installation. They treated him like some kind of spy! That information is proprietary! Good Grief.

There's a course in the Pinehurst area that has like 7 tee boxes. It is based on the yardage of the tee shots. I think this is much better than Sr/Yellow, Lady/Red tees.

Occasionally I and my buddy will have a 2 person scramble against his Sister and BIL. On some of the courses we play she gets a decent advantage over us playing the senior men's tees, but other times, the senior men's tees are shoehorned in at the back of the lady's tees. She'd complain "Where's my advantage?" So, we made a deal that when a tee box is like that she can move forward about 40-50 yards and just tee off there.

Well, on one course we were playing, a cart came and was obviously following us. The next time we allowed her to move up, right after she teed off this guy comes roaring up asking what we thought we were doing. We said we were giving the lady a fair advantage. The guy said, "The lady's tees are back there!" That when her husband chimed in with "Well, where are the senior lady's tees at?" This guy was a firefighter and nobody to mess with. Strong as an ox. Then the guy started ranting, "Jesus Christ! I can't build new tee boxes for every different class of golfer!" So I told him that he didn't have to. Just closely mow a small area forward of the red tees and put a couple tee markers in. Those could be new youth and senior ladies tees. Just put up a sign in the clubhouse informing people about them.

In fact that's what one of our favorite courses did a couple of years ago. We noticed these grey teemarkers, and suggested that my buddy's Sister be allowed to tee off from there. After the round, I asked in the office if those tees were for kids, senior women, or both? The guy said both, and said they had some 80+ year old men that used them as well. I figure whatever you need to get people in the game, or keep people in the game.

Back