The 60 and over Thread

I turned 73 this summer and golf was fun again. I got a set of XXIO clubs, 11.5° Prime 9 driver, XXIO 11 #4 wood, 4, 5, 6 hybrids, a #7 XXIO Prime hybrid, a ladies XXIO 11 #7 hybrid that I put a XXIO men's shaft into and use as a #8 hybrid. I have XXIO 11 irons in 9, PW and AW, I use Cleveland CBX Full Face wedges in 56° and 60°. Add these with moving mostly to senior tees and it's fun again. The XXIO clubs have given me back some of the yardage I lost through the years and they're easy to hit, I love them. I sometimes feel kind of funny hitting the 6, 7 & 8 hybrids because , who hits hybrids from these distances... until a fairly well struck shot heads high and straight toward the green and it's high enough that it holds the green instead of taking a low bounce and running off the back of the green. This season is pretty much over here in Minnesota but I may get out yet Sunday if the weather forecast holds. Already I'm looking toward next spring. I haven't done that at this time of the year for several years.

I used the epoxy from the kit, bad mistake. 24 hours later, pulled shaft from head. Now have cleaned it up, epoxied again. 2 hours later shaft can't be moved, grip tomorrow and I have a new 9 wood. Tee time 10:52 Monday and give it a try.

I am curious of bag set ups for older THP golfers, say mid-60s on up.
It's in my signature. It seems as I age (63) the more loft I want on my driver. I know a bit slower swing speed is part of it, but I am still between 100-104 in the summer on days the back isn't giving me fits, and all winter indoors on sims. But with the bad back and aging I have a hard time staying behind the ball for an upward angle of attack. I will be neutral or slightly descending. That may be why I can still spank the fairway woods and spin the heck out of the irons, but that angle of attack needs more loft off the tee.

I dunno about this old, beat up body of mine. The sports I played into my late 50's might be taking its toll on my body. A back injury many years ago hasn't helped either. I could manage it when I played sports. But now its much harder. The last couple rounds I woke up the next day really hurting with low back pain. Couldn't go on my daily walk.

I'm thinking maybe I'm trying too hard to make up for loss of swing speed by swinging too hard. Maybe I should just swing like the old man I am. I played with a guy about my age and he didn't put too much effort in his swing. Wasn't hitting far but everything was straight. And it wasn't wearing him down either. His score by the end was a few strokes better than mine. I think I have to accept what the aging process is doing to me. Sometimes my pride gets in the way.

I dunno about this old, beat up body of mine. The sports I played into my late 50's might be taking its toll on my body. A back injury many years ago hasn't helped either. I could manage it when I played sports. But now its much harder. The last couple rounds I woke up the next day really hurting with low back pain. Couldn't go on my daily walk.

I'm thinking maybe I'm trying too hard to make up for loss of swing speed by swinging too hard. Maybe I should just swing like the old man I am. I played with a guy about my age and he didn't put too much effort in his swing. Wasn't hitting far but everything was straight. And it wasn't wearing him down either. His score by the end was a few strokes better than mine. I think I have to accept what the aging process is doing to me. Sometimes my pride gets in the way.

I hear you. I have a bad back, knee, and a chronic shoulder problem. This morning I was googling senior set up cheats, to help with a better turn.

Also, look up Old Man Pat on youtube, he kind of slaps at the ball. But, also, has a nice short game.

I’m not a long ball hitter - 225 off the tee. So my strategy is to play for par on 4s. On par 5s I try to get on in three and pickup a birdie on the putt. For par threes if I land on the green then it’s a chance for birdie. My biggest issue is making sure I can recover from a bad shot without posting an 8.

I always hear swinging hard doesn’t necessarily increase speed.

I hear you. I have a bad back, knee, and a chronic shoulder problem. This morning I was googling senior set up cheats, to help with a better turn.

Also, look up Old Man Pat on youtube, he kind of slaps at the ball. But, also, has a nice short game.

Old Man Pat is amazing!

If you find any good senior "cheats" please let the rest of us know:D.

Played a 2 man scramble with my long hitting neighbor today. 4 lost balls, darn leaves. Ended up +2. Hard to believe but it was good enough for the win.

As impressive as it is for a younger, more physically gifted golfer to hit 300 yards and have a great all-around game to play to scratch, the older golfers who barely reach 200 yards but hit it straight enough to shoot in the low 80's are my heroes. I will never be the former but can at least strive to be the latter.

I longest club I pulled today was a 3h and probably didn't touch 190 yards once with that club. I also had trouble getting very much distance with any of my irons. So, I just pulled more club and enjoyed what was - for me - a very decent round of golf.

I'm looking forward to learning how to play old may style golf. It's exactly why I chose this activity 11 years ago.

Driver is 200 maybe 220, if course is dry. 5 wood 180, 7 wood 165. 11 wood about 150. 7 iron 140 and the rest about 10 yard gap between them. Have a new 9 wood to try Monday. Old man swing with no elbows or wrist, like Steve Striker. Have to keep it simple and slow, or I swing to hard or fast and back complains , And I have no idea where the ball will go.

I always hear swinging hard doesn’t necessarily increase speed.
Hard is slow, fast is hard.
I have been practicing martial arts for 57 years now. (I'm 63). Despite the depressing MRI reports, things like "severe degeneration of the facet joints" etc I can still send it on good days. No, there are no more 300 yard drives in me, but today was a good day for a cold, very humid, foggy day and I was averaging just under 255 off the tee. I just think swing fast... and do lots and lots of stretching. Get in the habit when you arise and before you go to bed. Maybe some yoga and no contact martial arts programs to build speed.
Remember, if you stop moving, they will throw dirt on you. ;)

Hard is slow, fast is hard.

Get in the habit when you arise and before you go to bed. Maybe some yoga and no contact martial arts programs to build speed.
Remember, if you stop moving, they will throw dirt on you. ;)
Sage advice

Thanks, Bob.

Yes, he is!

I saw this one today and I am looking forward to trying it out.

What Michele is talking about reminds me of Eric Cogorno's Senior Masterclass. He also advocates both feet flared and a slightly closed stance.

I will be 71 next week. Yoga(2X) and working out 3 times a week with a BowFlex have been the answer to gaining back distance this year. The BowFlex is a dream come true. It never yanks my joints, just a steady pull or strength. I feel much better this year then any of the last four years. Gained back about 15 yds and how am back to about 235 or so. No 300 yds drives for me in the future. Simply gained some club head speed back.

I will be 71 next week. Yoga(2X) and working out 3 times a week with a BowFlex have been the answer to gaining back distance this year. The BowFlex is a dream come true. It never yanks my joints, just a steady pull or strength. I feel much better this year then any of the last four years. Gained back about 15 yds and how am back to about 235 or so. No 300 yds drives for me in the future. Simply gained some club head speed back.
That is awesome. Keep up the good work.

Played 9 today, good and bad again. Driver very inconsistent, irons and fairways good. Hit some great shots and that's what keeps me coming back.

Played 9 today and it was a good day, other than being windy. 9 wood works great, hit it twice. 160 sometimes a little more, driver was good today also.

Do we all play mainly during the week, mainly weekends or any day of the week?

I tend to play on weekdays now. Pre-COVID there were a couple courses that were not very busy on weekend afternoons and I might play 18 on either Saturday or Sunday. Since COVID the courses have been filled with "people working from home" during the week and really busy on weekends. Some of our tournaments are on the weekend and those tend to be the exception to my "no weekend play" situation.

Do we all play mainly during the week, mainly weekends or any day of the week?

I tend to play on weekdays now. Pre-COVID there were a couple courses that were not very busy on weekend afternoons and I might play 18 on either Saturday or Sunday. Since COVID the courses have been filled with "people working from home" during the week and really busy on weekends. Some of our tournaments are on the weekend and those tend to be the exception to my "no weekend play" situation.

Weekdays only as the weekends its usually crowded down here.

Weekdays only here. Even those get busy due to the low green fees. On weekends, it's often a 5 hour round.

Strictly weekdays, and it has been that way since I fully retired.

Weekdays only....I try to play when other people are working.

Back