The 60 and over Thread

My pull hook comes and goes with my driver only and shows up usually on the back 9 during hot and humid days. I’ve gotten to the point when it happens, to back off my swing, pull out a 5 wood and bingo, gone.
My pull hook shows up when I get too fast with the arms on the down swing. I get ahead of my hip turn, not good!

I’m feeling the same way. Here’s my bag right now:
driver 40g Distanza
fw 50g Atmos (incoming to replace 40g Cypher)
hybrids 50g Cypher (PXG) 54g Ascent (TSi’s)
irons 60g MMT
wedges 115 DG steel wedge flex

my dispersion and ball striking have been awful since switching from R to A flex. With an 85mph SS I was told I was right on the edge and could play either. My thought process was at my age I’m not going to get any faster, so why not go lighter and less stiff.
In hindsight, I think the flex might be fine, but I erred in going as light as possible, except with the driver. If I had to do it over again, I think the PING model of heavier stock shafts in A flex would have worked best.
Who knows though, it could just be my game is deteriorating. :cry:
Thats why I have yet to change to A flex shafts. I swing at 80 mph., but still swing reg. flex shafts, and even went heavier on my Ping G410 SFT driver to 65g at reg. flex to help dispersion, from the Alta 55g reg. flex stock shaft, because it felt a little whippy. Mostly fairway, 220 yd. average...

That "formula" you mentioned is what's turning golf into something akin to watching robots play. It's like they are trying to totally eliminate the "human element" from the game.
Also, I think using a formula does a disservice to those taking lessons. For example, I don't know how beneficial it is to teach a 65 year old the same swing you would teach a 25 year old.

Also, I think using a formula does a disservice to those taking lessons. For example, I don't know how beneficial it is to teach a 65 year old the same swing you would teach a 25 year old.
I feel the same. Last time I went to GolfTec for swing evaluation, he told me the same thing. I needed to turn away from the target more, to get more speed in my swing. I told him this is it, from here to here. Too old to be learning a new swing, especially if the body does not want to cooperate. That was at 59. Now 66. Swing getting a little shorter each year. Distance has not changed much. Lost about 20 yards, still 220 average. Can still hit 235-240 if I really need it, but better with the easy swing.

Got in another round today. The weather guessers didn’t quite get the forecast right. Fog kept the temps down a little longer than expected. Ended up being pretty nice once the sun broke through. Started bogey, bogey, double, so was not looking good. Rolled a 9 iron on 1 and a wedge on 3. Bladed a lob wedge over the green on 3 to double. Front nine was a blah 42. Back nine started with an up and down from dead behind the green, then hitting a wedge stiff for birdie on 11. Easy 34 on the back missed 2 6 footers for birdie or it could have been a 32.

Played the old Tour Edge 16.5* fairway I reshafted rather than the Rogue. I think I hit it better of the 2 since I reshafted it. The Kuro Kate Black 50g came in today. I’m gluing the adapter on and I’ll get a grip on the shaft tonight so I can test soon. Hoping for a little higher launch and spin.

I have 4 more lessons at GolfTec, will take it with a grain of salt. Some stuff is good, some my body hits the reject button. One issue is using muscles I haven’t used in a while or have never used in a golf swing before. That makes life interesting. Is GolfTec a bad place? No. However, my recommendation is do a swing eval and buy practice time so you can use the video. If you are young, strong and flexible, and want to swing like a tour pro, go to GolfTec.

I'm 66 years old, and playing to a 12.8 handicap. I'm currently playing white tees, but I know there are quite a few courses where I should move up a tee. Any course over 6200 is a long haul for me now. I'd love it if this thread becomes a place for others like me to get together and talk golf.
It gets very tiring reading on golf forums about guys hitting 270 yard 3 woods and 160 yard nine irons. Don't even get me started with their driving distances. I realize most of it is nothing more than "internet golfers" looking to impress people they don't know. That stuff doesn't do a thing for me, and even when true, it is nothing I can relate to.
I'm guessing most of you who are 60 and older feel the same way, and have checked that part of your ego at the door years ago. I'm hoping you would like a place where you can talk about your game amongst peers. You still play well, or aspire to, and want to keep improving and talk to others like yourself about your round.
I also think most of you would like a thread where you can talk to players you can relate to about equipment you are using and or looking for, without someone telling you about their 14* 130 gram X-flex steel shafted driving iron they hit 260 on "short" par fours.
Have you tried a 5 hybrid? Play a 7 wood? What's your bag set up? Wondering about a certain shaft? Maybe you're thinking about changing shaft flex? Do you play in leagues with others, if so how did you do this week?
These are the type of things we can talk about.
Hope some of you other gents feel the same way... feel free to talk about whatever interests you.
Have you ever heard of a YT channel called Mistah Short Hitter? He reviews equipment that pertains more to the average player. As a 63 year old man with a slow swing speed I get better, more relatable info from his videos. He also reviews a lot of the cheaper golf balls that an average/ below average swing speed player would more likely use.

Shot my age today with a 1under 71. First time for this.
Looks like I only have 2 years to improve then🤷‍♂️ Congratulations on the Milestone:love:

Should have added I did make a few putts today. 10’ on 5, 12’ on 7, 15’ on 10, 8’ on 13, 22’ on 16. Sometimes a good putter is as good as an eraser.

The best I ever shot was 78, many years ago. Now I feel good shooting 90.

Have you ever heard of a YT channel called Mistah Short Hitter? He reviews equipment that pertains more to the average player. As a 63 year old man with a slow swing speed I get better, more relatable info from his videos. He also reviews a lot of the cheaper golf balls that an average/ below average swing speed player would more likely use.
Right up my fairway!! Probably a lot I already know as a slow swinger. Never been more than 80 mph with the driver. Don't know where its going to end up if I go faster. Play 2-piece ball already...

Right up my fairway!! Probably a lot I already know as a slow swinger. Never been more than 80 mph with the driver. Don't know where its going to end up if I go faster. Play 2-piece ball already...
I'm waiting for him to review the Wilson Staff ZIP and the 50 Elite, the two balls I use the most. I'd like to find out, data wise, why these two balls seem to perform better than other 2 pc. balls.

I'm waiting for him to review the Wilson Staff ZIP and the 50 Elite, the two balls I use the most. I'd like to find out, data wise, why these two balls seem to perform better than other 2 pc. balls.
I'm still using ProV1s. I'm open to using another ball if it's better, but now, with swing changes in progress, is not the time to do fittings.

Doing the TF Hammer Control in yellow. About a 70ish ball, nice manners around the green. My CBX2's love this ball! I can get it to check, with some rollout. "Getting It Close" for $100, is my jeopardy...

I made it to GolfTec for a little practice today. Wind is blowing 30 gusting 50, so it's brutal outside. Tomorrow I may get in a round after honey-dos. I did try the Kuro Kage 50g Black shaft in the driver and compared to the Kuro Kage Silver 60g. As expected, the launch angle and the spin was a little higher with the Black. Distance was negligible, but I'm a little bit sore from playing 4 days in a row. Swing speed and ball speeds were down a little. I'll see how it plays on the course when I get a chance.

Awesome. Once we hit 70, that is one of the few mountains we can still aspire to climb. The closest I have come was a 71 at age 69+ last year.
Yeah, I know, right. I shot 34 on the back nine yesterday and it could have easily been a 32. If I would show up for the front nine sometime I know it can happen. Maybe a better warmup, but how much is too much? It’s one thing to start out ready to go, but if you fade on the last few holes …

A bit colder and windier than I expected today. Ball was going nowhere. I mostly played to check the ball flight with the shaft I put in, but it was nearly impossible to get a good read. Downwind was close to normal distances, but in was at least 2 clubs into the wind. I thought I smoked a couple drives into the wind and they went nowhere. The shaft I was trying does have a little more spin and a slightly higher launch, so maybe it was just the wrong combo for the wrong condition. 38/35 73, 3 bogies, 2 birdies, 26 putts. I may thaw by Tuesday.

Awesome. Once we hit 70, that is one of the few mountains we can still aspire to climb. The closest I have come was a 71 at age 69+ last year.
It gets easier to shoot one's age as one gets older! :D

I got out to the range yesterday. It was in the mid 50s, warm for NH this time of year, and the place was packed. It was great to hit balls outside. The back and hip felt good and am happy to report that they feel fine today. Keep doing those mobility sessions folks!

Had a 3 hour Trackman session with two buddies today. Started out not so well. By an hour in I was swinging pretty darn well. Had one drive I carried 254 over the crest of a hill, it ran another 28 yards... I did make some silly course managment decisions I would never do in real life, I just felt like trying to oull off the low percentage shot. Inflated my meaningless score but it was fun...
Yea, I'll never try a 235 yard forced carry with a 5 wood in real life, even if it has happened when the stars aligned and the wind blew.

Back