The 60 and over Thread

The mornings are getting chilly now. 40 degrees at seven. I was thinking about going out early but I'm gonna wait till around ten when it gets to the mid 50's. Its probably good to wait because I'll likely be paired with a small group by then.

When I golf by myself I have a hard time picking up the ball in the air if its a little cloudy. It tends to get lost in the white background. Helps to have someone with you to see where it goes. I've actually lost it in the air when it goes down the middle. I ask "Did anyone see that? I lost it." Someone replies "Right where it should be. Down the middle".

I picked up a 7W recently, and I haven’t had a chance to hit it more than 4-5 times, so it’s obviously early days, but I might have to do the same thing.
I’m hitting moon balls that are going nowhere. I’d really like to have the option to change out my 4H occasionally for something with a higher launch, but right now I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble.
I‘m really close to solidifying the top of my bag right now, then I need to decide whether E722’s, DCB’s, or Halo XL irons go in the gamer bag.
The E722’s are really good, and I prefer them over the DCB’s but I’m dying to give the Cleveland hybrid set a whirl.
I switched to fairway woods because the majority of mishits are behind the ball a bit. Woods are more forgiving with that. Irons not so much. The woods just bounce off the surface and still picks up the ball. Worst case is 20 yards short when trying to hit 150 yards. With the irons that hit is more like a 40 yard chunk shot. My scores have gotten much better since I made the switch.

The mornings are getting chilly now. 40 degrees at seven. I was thinking about going out early but I'm gonna wait till around ten when it gets to the mid 50's. Its probably good to wait because I'll likely be paired with a small group by then.

When I golf by myself I have a hard time picking up the ball in the air if its a little cloudy. It tends to get lost in the white background. Helps to have someone with you to see where it goes. I've actually lost it in the air when it goes down the middle. I ask "Did anyone see that? I lost it." Someone replies "Right where it should be. Down the middle".
I find that a yellow ball works better on a cloudy day. Maybe other colors also.

Two weeks ago was doing a fitting for a possible 4W to add to the bag. Didn’t find one that suited my needs. Then the fitter grabbed a 5W and plugged a 3W shaft into it. Very interesting results.

On tuesday, was getting in a round with a good friend. He recently added a new club (Aerojet 7W). I ended up hitting it three times during the round. Stupid easy to hit high and land soft. Same distance as my 4H, 165 yards. Just when I thought my bag was set, have this to contemplate.

Dear Santa…..

Yes, yellow is easier to see in the air on a cloudy day. I just bought two dozen yellow TM Tour Response golf balls to use next year when the courses are no longer covered with leaves. The best combination of accuracy and distance in my bag is a 22* Mavrik Max 4 iron with a 40g LL flex shaft. Really nice accuracy today!

Ended up walking on to a local course that has been there for over 100 years. Only 6100 yards from the tips, it should be a push over, but the greens are a real bear to read. They are in excellent shape, and were rolling at a swift, but not stupid fast pace.
Had a single join us, a late 60's retired big 3 engineer. Thick Italian accent. He gave us 3 sleeves of Srixon Z stars because he hated them. He was a hoot. I thought I knew how to cuss, but he was a world class all star.
Anyhow, I really liked the Z Star. And my new TSR 16.5⁰ fairway wood performed exactly as I wanted in the wind. It doesn't spin up, balloon and die into the wind like my 17.5⁰ G425 is prone to doing.

I'm the same way, lose the ball in the white background. My golfing buddy has to see it for me, I try to help him see his ball.

Carls has tour rack (raw) RTX wedges on sale for $119.00.
I am going to go trade in some stuff and pick up a 54 high and 58 mid bounce.
I am bad. Love my wedges, love practicing with them. Love having different ones on hand to meet various conditions. And I love rusty raw wedges. I collect wedges like some folks collect putters.

I picked up a 7W recently, and I haven’t had a chance to hit it more than 4-5 times, so it’s obviously early days, but I might have to do the same thing.
I’m hitting moon balls that are going nowhere. I’d really like to have the option to change out my 4H occasionally for something with a higher launch, but right now I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble.
I‘m really close to solidifying the top of my bag right now, then I need to decide whether E722’s, DCB’s, or Halo XL irons go in the gamer bag.
The E722’s are really good, and I prefer them over the DCB’s but I’m dying to give the Cleveland hybrid set a whirl.
Which 7W did you pick up? I have an old Ping K15 and it works for me. Although I do keep an eye out for an upgrade.

I'm the same way, lose the ball in the white background. My golfing buddy has to see it for me, I try to help him see his ball.
This is pretty common for me as well - especially early through late summer when the sun is in the worse position. I play early and play solo so on certain holes there's a lot of losing sight of the ball in the sun then trying to either listen for or pick up any movement when it lands.

Which 7W did you pick up? I have an old Ping K15 and it works for me. Although I do keep an eye out for an upgrade.
Paradym. Like I said it’s probably more a shaft issue than a head issue, but at this point I just want to get the top of my bag settled and be done with it. My 4H would be perfect if I could get just a little more height, but I’ve been smoking it, so I’m going to stay with it.
BTW you and I have discussed the Halos a lot, and after two more intensive days of comparison, I reaffirmed the DCB’s are just a way better club for me right now. I’m going to get the lofts and lies tweaked a bit to match the E722’s, and once that’s done, they’ll be going in the bag. (shoutout to @1860VS … you were right)

Last edited:
Just a recommendation based on what worked for me guys…
The ‘23 GBB fairway woods with the Helium Nanocore shafts are phenomenal for players our age. Think Ping G series FW launch and forgiveness with more distance… that works for me! 😉
The hybrids (even with the same shaft) didn’t work as well. The oversized FW shaped head didn’t suit my eye in a hybrid, and I just couldn’t get comfortable with them.

Last edited:
 After 18 outside yesterday a buddy and I played 36 on the sim today. Bad, slooow start, good run in the middle, fell off badly at the end of the second round Shot 82- 84. Was really hitting it hard and straight for a while. Just hammering both woods and irons. If it wasnt for the bad end caps I could have put some real nice rounds together. Now the kid (who had to work this morning) wants to go play outdoors. I told him maybe tomorrow. LOL

Taking lessons and playing without time to groove the changes is usually a formula for disaster. That describes my front 9 today. Actually the first 11 holes. I mean 10 over after 11 holes as a 7 handicap is pretty discouraging. Playing the last 7 -2 with birdies on both par 3s encouraging. Kind of a tale of 2 nines.

Still working on my game and fitness this winter. I’m trying to get more flexibility and core strength, at least that’s the goal. I have found my hips and mid back need more flexibility, especially my left hip. I’m working on it. Started doing balance exercises too as balance, actually loss there of, is an indicator in us old folks of how likely we are fall unexpectedly, accidentally, etc. Still hoping to get my swing speed up to 90 by next spring. At least that’s the goal.

Oh, hit a couple more shots with the Edison 2.0 wedge today. Not sure it’s any longer than my 52* TSR wedge. It does have a good feel and loads of spin though.

Last edited:
When I said I was hitting them hard and straight mid day, here was my start to the second round. Light wind, normal fairways and greens.
These were both well downhill, but even finding the fairway at those ranges can be a challenge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_193414.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_193414.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231111_193409.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_193409.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5
A couple more I banged later in the round. Today was a good back day. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_133449.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_133449.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231111_133309.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_133309.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm thinking there is no point in carrying the 3 and 5 woods in the bag. They don't go any further than the 7 wood. Well, whenever they do go further its a pull hook which ends up even worse.

I did not use the longer woods on the back nine yesterday. Ended up playing it fairly well by my standards. Was short on a few holes but it mighta been the best wedge day I've ever had.

Several one putt pars after chipping inside of ten feet several times. One was a 6 inch tap in after a 40 yard wedge shot. Because I was short and straight I did not have to hit over any bunkers. I played a lower pitch with a gap wedge and they ran up nicely to the hole after a couple bounces in front of the greens.

Ended up with a 42 on the back to go with the 47 on the front and broke 90 again. I might just leave the 3 and 5 woods at home next time so I won't be tempted to try a low percentage shot. I'm starting to get a nice feel for all the wedges from 52 to 64. All those virtual rounds at the sim have really helped with that.

I'm thinking there is no point in carrying the 3 and 5 woods in the bag. They don't go any further than the 7 wood. Well, whenever they do go further its a pull hook which ends up even worse.
If you don’t have the swing speed to get the ball up in the air, then a 3, 4 or even a 5 wood is a bad idea off the deck. I’m a low ball player to start with, so there is no way I can hit a 3 wood off he deck. Off a tee, I can kill it, but never as far as a driver. I’m currently playing a 16.5* 4+ wood. Finding the clubs you can hit is a big part of the game.

If you don’t have the swing speed to get the ball up in the air, then a 3, 4 or even a 5 wood is a bad idea off the deck. I’m a low ball player to start with, so there is no way I can hit a 3 wood off he deck. Off a tee, I can kill it, but never as far as a driver. I’m currently playing a 16.5* 4+ wood. Finding the clubs you can hit is a big part of the game.
Amen.
I’ve spent the past 2-3 months trying to find the ones to maximize what my current self can do on a golf course. I’m a completely different player at 69 than I was at 60 and my bag set up needed to change.
I went from a a 9* driver to 10.5*, 3H to a 5W, put a 5H in the bag, and those were all good moves.
I also tried a 7W and a 6H which weren’t quite as good. I might need to use both eventually, but not yet.
My irons were also in flux. I’m not ready yet to go with an all hybrid set, and I like my E722’s very much, but I’m going to go with a set of DCB’s, in hopes that I’ll become a touch more precise with them even if it’s at the cost of about a half club in distance.
I have a graphite shaft in a CBX 54* and I added a low bounce RTX wedge. My putter isn’t in any danger. It’s been a moneymaker ever since it became the club to unseat my Yes! Tracy after a 13 year run. It’s as safe as safe can be.

Last edited:

I did not use the longer woods on the back nine yesterday. Ended up playing it fairly well by my standards. Was short on a few holes but it mighta been the best wedge day I've ever had.

Several one putt pars after chipping inside of ten feet several times. One was a 6 inch tap in after a 40 yard wedge shot. Because I was short and straight I did not have to hit over any bunkers. I played a lower pitch with a gap wedge and they ran up nicely to the hole after a couple bounces in front of the greens.

Ended up with a 42 on the back to go with the 47 on the front and broke 90 again. I might just leave the 3 and 5 woods at home next time so I won't be tempted to try a low percentage shot. I'm starting to get a nice feel for all the wedges from 52 to 64. All those virtual rounds at the sim have really helped with that.

Good idea, Charley. As Sr's we need to minimize our bad hits. For the same reason, I loved using the hy-wood last year from the fairway.

With the sun in your face it's harder to find a ball in the fall. I find I have to go past the ball and look back to see it. On tee shots into the sun, it helps if your playing partners keep an eye on the ball.

Carls has tour rack (raw) RTX wedges on sale for $119.00.
I am going to go trade in some stuff and pick up a 54 high and 58 mid bounce.
I am bad. Love my wedges, love practicing with them. Love having different ones on hand to meet various conditions. And I love rusty raw wedges. I collect wedges like some folks collect putters.
That's a great price. The problem for me is I am +2-inches so I can't buy clubs that are on sale. This time of year I put away my newish wedges and practice/play with my old ones. Given the price of wedges, I try to preserve the grooves as long as I can.

Two weeks ago was doing a fitting for a possible 4W to add to the bag. Didn’t find one that suited my needs. Then the fitter grabbed a 5W and plugged a 3W shaft into it. Very interesting results.

On tuesday, was getting in a round with a good friend. He recently added a new club (Aerojet 7W). I ended up hitting it three times during the round. Stupid easy to hit high and land soft. Same distance as my 4H, 165 yards. Just when I thought my bag was set, have this to contemplate.

Dear Santa…..
I play a 16* fairway, 4W?, with a 3W length shaft. Works well for me, good off the deck and enough distance off the tee.

My fitter was amazed that I could hit a 3HL off the deck with only a few yards less than driver! Said I had to buy that club!
My 7 iron only goes 100yards, but right now I'm hitting my 22* iron very well off the tee and fairway.

If you can afford it, you may want to see if the fitter can find a shaft that will work with a 3HL off the deck.
My natural shot shape is a high fade.
I learned to hit a 3 iron as a tiny kid. Two good swings and a ten foot putt for my first regulation Par 3!
I was smart enough back then to wonder why it never went farther than a 5iron!
I developed an awful swing trying to get distance, so I scrapped it and started over as an adult.

That's a great price. The problem for me is I am +2-inches so I can't buy clubs that are on sale. This time of year I put away my newish wedges and practice/play with my old ones. Given the price of wedges, I try to preserve the grooves as long as I can.
I bet Carls doesnt charge much to lengthen and regrip before they ship it. I can do it myself for under 20 bucks. But for me to ship it to you at no freight discount would negate any savings.

Back