The 60 and over Thread

Have been going opposite direction with my wedges. Benched are my 58 and 60, except if I’m playing courses with extremely fast greens. Maintaining just two, 50 and 55, opens more possibilities at the top end of the bag. Like others, the 60 spent most of its time idle in the bag. Can’t see myself ever considering a 64.
I’m with you on that. I play an off a lot of hard pan and tightly packed sand down here, so I need to keep my RTX Zipcore 58-6 in the bag. If I’m playing up North, I ditch the 54*&58* and just use a 56*. Up there the courses I play have such deep rough around the greens, I’m just looking to get the ball out and on.

My kid was playing a late 70s Anser of mine for years, till I decided he needed a heavier putter and he got a Scotty GoLo.
Kid next door still games a Scotty I gave him ages ago.
I've never owned a Scotty and don't recall even trying one out at a retailer, primarily due to price. Are they really that much better than everything else out there, or is it just hype and the "prestige" of owning one that makes them so wanted?

I've never owned a Scotty and don't recall even trying one out at a retailer, primarily due to price. Are they really that much better than everything else out there, or is it just hype and the "prestige" of owning one that makes them so wanted?
They are very nice, but quite frankly I prefer the feel of my MCraft Mizunos to any Scotty I ever tried. But it works for the kid.
There is a bit of a prestige thing going on as well for a lot of people. Usually the same guys who play custom stamped and paint filled Vokeys who would be much better off with a CB wedge of some variety.

You’re already rolling a Toulon which might cost even more, so I would’ve thought you’d have tried a Scotty or something similarly priced putter?
Cameron makes a lot of different type putters. if you get the one that’s right for you, they’re good. If you buy one that doesn’t suit your stroke? All the money in the world won’t help you make a putt.
I have a Phantom X 5.5, and it works really well for me. As good as it is though, my Evnroll ER7 works better. The Scotty cost over $400, and the Evnroll cost half that.

You can pay $200 for a great bottle of wine, but you can also get a great bottle of wine for $20. Jim Furyk won the Deutschebank (Boston), with a used $49 putter he bought at a local golf shop.

You can pay $200 for a great bottle of wine, but you can also get a great bottle of wine for $20. Jim Furyk won the Deutschebank (Boston), with a used $49 putter he bought at a local golf shop.
Or you can pay $700-800 for a fitted L.A.B. putter and carry that monstrosity in your bag. When one of the guys showed up with one he did get a ration of crap about it. I did hit a few putts with on off the rack at Goof Fallacy and it was the most stable putter I’ve ever felt. Scotty’s are over priced too IMHO.

You’re already rolling a Toulon which might cost even more, so I would’ve thought you’d have tried a Scotty or something similarly priced putter?
The Toulon I got at the 2018 #TheGrandaddy. :)

Have had 2 Scotty's and 1 Bettinardi. I'm anal about keeping my clubs in pristine condition. Probably why I have always like Ping irons for their indestructability. Worried all the time about getting a ding or mark on the "fancy" putters. My Ansers take away that worry. And, they still do make the occasional putt. :>)

Hit a few more 7i shots outside today and the swing felt a little more in synch. Definitely got a few where some distance showed up, though they were rare enough to let me know there’s a lot of work to be done. Also worked on some trouble shots, and some gw shots from different distances. Realized I was flipping a little with pitches and fixed that.
As to be expected, there’s a long way to go - not only to be where I was last season, but better in so many areas.

All the talk about moving up a set of tees has me thinking of one of my favorite courses in the area and how frustrating the course can be. The white tees are just under 6000 yards. I love the layout of this course - lots of elevation changes, lots of woods, and a fair amount of water to navivate. I want to play at least one round up from the red tees. I think they play at around 5500 or a little less.

I keep having to remind myself it’s still early February.

In my observation, WAY OVER 90% of golfers can't consistently start a putt on the intended line. Another 90% can't consistently read a putt. Another 90% + cannot get the speed correct consistently. Without being able to do all of those things, a better putter *might* leave your second putt closer to the hole, but it won't appreciably change how many first putts you hole.

In my observation, WAY OVER 90% of golfers can't consistently start a putt on the intended line. Another 90% can't consistently read a putt. Another 90% + cannot get the speed correct consistently. Without being able to do all of those things, a better putter *might* leave your second putt closer to the hole, but it won't appreciably change how many first putts you hole.
I think the point you are making is that if you're not good at the basics of putting then it doesn't matter much which putter you use or how much you spend. I tend to agree, but I wouldn't say over 90% of golfers have the problems that you mention. Now 90% or more of Average Joes and/or high HCs? Probably so.

Improving your speed control for the first putt is the best way to better putting IMHO.

I did a little training today with the Dewiz device I just picked up. What I learned is my backswing is really short, at least to what it thinks it should be. I guess it sucks to be old and stiff. It said I was starting down from the top 2-3* steeper than my backswing and my peak hand speed was 13.9 mph right around where my hands hit waist high.

There are a couple things I think I can work on with this, mostly to get more consistent. I know it want to increase backswing travel/distance. That’s all well and good as long as my swing doesn’t breakdown in the process.

Last edited:
I think the point you are making is that if you're not good at the basics of putting then it doesn't matter much which putter you use or how much you spend. I tend to agree, but I wouldn't say over 90% of golfers have the problems that you mention. Now 90% or more of Average Joes and/or high HCs? Probably so.

Improving your speed control for the first putt is the best way to better putting IMHO.
That is my point. As far as overstating how few players can consistently read the putt, put it on the intended line, and with the proper speed--maybe not.

First of all, I am a low-handicap player and play a lot of my golf with other low-handicap players. So, my observations may be biased in the other direction.

Second, who but a player who can consistently accurately read putts, start them on the intended line, and with the correct speed could make this assessment? If you aren't one of those players, how would you know whether the miss was due to the read, line, or speed?

At the macro level, there are about 25 million golfers in the U.S. Of those, there are only 100,000 golfers with handicaps under 4. That's only 0.4% of all golfers. Now it's true that not all golfers have a handicap. But on the low handicap end of the scale, the vast majority do except for professionals. So add say 10,000 for all the professionals. You still haven't moved the needle.

It's also true that not all low-handicap players are good putters, and not all great putters are low-handicap players. But even if you triple these numbers you are barely over 1% of all golfers. Still an order of magnitude away from what I have observed. So, maybe I'm being too generous.:unsure:

Last edited:
It's also true that not all low-handicap players are good putters, and not all great putters are low-handicap players. But even if you triple these numbers you are barely over 1% of all golfers. Still an order of magnitude away from what I have observed. So, maybe I'm being too generous.
Re: Scotty Scheffler

That is my point. As far as overstating how few players can consistently read the putt, put it on the intended line, and with the proper speed--maybe not.

First of all, I am a low-handicap player and play a lot of my golf with other low-handicap players. So, my observations may be biased in the other direction.

Second, who but a player who can consistently accurately read putts, start them on the intended line, and with the correct speed could make this assessment? If you aren't one of those players, how would you know whether the miss was due to the read, line, or speed?

At the macro level, there are about 25 million golfers in the U.S. Of those, there are only 100,000 golfers with handicaps under 4. That's only 0.4% of all golfers. Now it's true that not all golfers have a handicap. But on the low handicap end of the scale, the vast majority do except for professionals. So add say 10,000 for all the professionals. You still haven't moved the needle.

It's also true that not all low-handicap players are good putters, and not all great putters are low-handicap players. But even if you triple these numbers you are barely over 1% of all golfers. Still an order of magnitude away from what I have observed. So, maybe I'm being too generous.:unsure:
My short game/putting is around scratch, and my full swing game is around a 22 HI.

I think you’re stating the obvious, and I wouldn’t limit it to putting either.
I think you see just as many people with $5-600 drivers, $1000 and up sets of irons who struggle as much with the proper golf swing as those who struggle with putting fundamentals. Don’t even get me started with some of the things I see people do with their wedges. Heck, I’m one of those guys. 🤷‍♂️
There are always going to be a small percentage who play a certain sport at a higher level than the majority. If they’re being honest though, even those elite players are humble enough to know they still have a lot to learn and can get better.

Last edited:
My short game/putting is around scratch, and my full swing game is around a 22 HI.
I’m like you, only different. 😂
I putt and drive the ball very well, off the turf I play to my listed cap level. Hybrids and irons, I’m as good as to be expected. FWs are a struggle, but I’m improving with them. I know a lot of 20+ caps who are better from 40 yards and in than I am though. If I could just get the right technique down, I think I’d easily play to a high single figure.
Up north with a little cushion under the ball I’m fine, but down here I get yippy off tight lies.

Last edited:
So it cancels out for a 10?

For the past year or so, short putts have been my nemesis. Would rather have an 8 to 10 ft putt than a 3 footer. Rain over the weekend kept us off the course. Stretched my 33" Anser 3 to 35". Installed a Lamkin Sink Fit Straight grip. There's always a honeymoon with any club change. But, the "new/old" putter was my best weapon this morning against the other old codgers!! Don't think I missed one short putt. Chipped to about 4' on #1 and made that birdie putt. Started the day off right and it remained that way.
Still enjoying the i230's. Now is not the time to begin logging distances due to the soggy course conditions, cold weather and way too may clothes. They're pretty much 'point and shoot'. Lots of forgiveness for being dubbed "blade style".
Still felt the Rogue ST Max was a little short. But, with the damp cold air, no one in the group was hitting drives to where we are used to.
Good golf in February. Life is good!!!

First 9 holes since mid October…. +8 which is satisfying for me given it was very wet, no roll etc. A couple of up and downs which I would never have made last year shows the finesse wedge practice might be paying off.
Trying to implement a pause at the top of the backswing to make sure I’m balanced and ready to go before I start the downswing which showed enough promise to persist…

Roll on spring.

A

I can appreciate this. My putting and short game is good. My driving accuracy is very good, although I don’t hit it very far. My index is 13.7. Other than short game and driving, I struggle.

I can appreciate this. My putting and short game is good. My driving accuracy is very good, although I don’t hit it very far. My index is 13.7. Other than short game and driving, I struggle.
That sounds like your approach game is the weak link. What course lengths are you playing?

If you are a short driver as you say, it's possible that your approach shot distances are often requiring you to hit the longer, less accurate clubs. In my experience hitting clubs longer than 6i on Par 3s and Par 4 second shots is going to be challenging for many mid-HC golfers.

That sounds like your approach game is the weak link. What course lengths are you playing?

If you are a short driver as you say, it's possible that your approach shot distances are often requiring you to hit the longer, less accurate clubs. In my experience hitting clubs longer than 6i on Par 3s and Par 4 second shots is going to be challenging for many mid-HC golfers.
I was rudely reminded today that I haven’t figured out how to play on frozen greens. I did much better after they thawed. After making 182’ of putts Saturday, I’m not sure I made 50’ of putts today. Sucks when you have to hit it to 2’ to make a birdie.

Don’t ever change @Birdman03 🥰
@Bernoulli is playing off 13, and has been playing for about 40 years maybe?
I’m sure he read those little nuggets and was like, “Wow! Who knew?”

Last edited:
Back