The 60 and over Thread

Absolutely horrid front side today. Turned around and started playing golf on the back. One bird, 4 good looks. Cranked one 13* Burner Mini 273 down 15 mph wind in mid 40* weather. Of course that was hole 16...... wait till the end to get back loose. LOL

I think I’m in a good place at the moment with my equipment. I’ve spent too much money as it is.
Ah, I thought you said you were looking, which surprised me. It seems like you have yours pretty dialed in.

I'm currently a 16.5 HI and working hard to drop it. At one time I was an 8.8 but a number of injuries put paid to that. However, my short game still "works". As far as scrambling goes someone with my HI get's up and down less than 20% of the time. The past two seasons I got up and down a bit over 60% of the time. A scratch golfer gets up and down less than 55% of the time. Lord knows what my HI would be without my short game. In any case, it just goes to show you don't need to be young or athletic to have a good short game.

Played 9 this morning, it was a good day for driver and putter. The rest of the clubs were sporadic, hit some good shots and some terrible ones. Shot boogie on most holes, with the occasional double thrown in there.

I had a tough day on 5e greens today. Big difference between the club and the muni with the quality of the greens. 8 fairways, 11 GIR, 37 putts, 39-39 78. 3 putting 3 holes on the front for bogey was a killer. On injured reserve for the next day or 2 with 5e thumb issue. Probably going to get a cortisone shot at the base of my left thumb. So looking forward to that.

I played 18 today b/c of the weather forecast.....It called for sunny and 75*, which is RARE for this time of year in NW Ohio. Really was apprehensive, b/c my back has been really sore lately (two trips to the chiropractor last week), but I decided to take a chance. I rode some and walked some to stay loose, but I made it and played
halfway decent......40-39-79, with a birdie. My back actually feels better for having played.....sometimes swinging the club snaps things back into place better than the
chiropractor can do!!! Anyway, I'll bet I sleep pretty well tonight....I'm tired!

Played 9 this morning, it was a good day for driver and putter. The rest of the clubs were sporadic, hit some good shots and some terrible ones. Shot boogie on most holes, with the occasional double thrown in there.
How was your new hybrid?

I’m willing to move on but come on… you never complained? You’ve been on this site for 10 years, and only posted 30 times, but you came in here out of the blue to post this…

you “know 50 members at Barefoot. Most are sandbaggers”… uh okay. Sounds reasonable.
I should have said some are sandbaggers. I read a lot of forums but commenting
@Kent01putt I’m guessing you belong to either the Surf or Dunes Club? I’ll say the Surf Club though. 😉
I should have said some are baggers. No I do not belong to any club down there. No I never complained because it never helps or changes the situation. Yes 30 only on this forum, but I read everyday. I have commented a number of times in this thread. The problem with commenting is that there is always someone (you) wants to start bitching when they disagree with what is said.

I played 18 today b/c of the weather forecast.....It called for sunny and 75*, which is RARE for this time of year in NW Ohio. Really was apprehensive, b/c my back has been really sore lately (two trips to the chiropractor last week), but I decided to take a chance. I rode some and walked some to stay loose, but I made it and played
halfway decent......40-39-79, with a birdie. My back actually feels better for having played.....sometimes swinging the club snaps things back into place better than the
chiropractor can do!!! Anyway, I'll bet I sleep pretty well tonight....I'm tired!

Same here! Got our first round of the year in NE Ohio. My buddy and I scrambled against his Son and his Son's buddy. We are both 71 and they are both in their 40's. The last time we did this, the old guys somehow managed to pull out a win. Not so today, although we did manage to play even on the back nine.

At our age my buddy and I both knew that going 18 right out of the gate was going to hurt, and it did. Getting into the last few holes it just didn't seem like our bodies wanted to work in their normal way anymore! There's a lot of rust to be scraped off after a Winter of relative inactivity. And despite the fact that we've had a relatively mild winter with not that much precipitation, things were still pretty soggy out there. The sun isn't high enough to really dry things out yet.

Still, it was a good day that ended with a fine meal of Mexican food and a couple of shots of Patron Silver! I've had worse days.

I should have said some are sandbaggers. I read a lot of forums but commenting

I should have said some are baggers. No I do not belong to any club down there. No I never complained because it never helps or changes the situation. Yes 30 only on this forum, but I read everyday. I have commented a number of times in this thread. The problem with commenting is that there is always someone (you) wants to start bitching when they disagree with what is said.
You’re the guy who came in here out of nowhere and posted that the 50 members in my club you know are sandbaggers, but “I’m the problem” because I came back at you for saying what you did?
That’s so precious.

Last edited:
Thursday the kid is on spring break (seems a week or so early to me, but whatever). Taking him to my old CC that is now public. They now have the tips where the members tees used to be, only around 6100 yards. we will play from there. I fully expect that my son will tear this place up, He has played it a couple dozen times. its close to home and he and his buddies like it. It might be his first round below par. I predict for him to finally break through this year. His driving has been excellent, not huge, but 270-280 hitting not just the vast majority of fairways, but where he wants it to be on the fairway. Putting is very good. He just needs some work on his shot making and imagination, but for textbook high 2 yard draws with every iron, he is all set. Good conditions and he can go very low. Like so many young guys, he can struggle when the wind comes up. I hope its calm.......

I’m hoping to get out for the first round of the year Thursday. This course will be a great test for the new Callaway Smoke driver. Lots of straight, long fairways without a lot of trouble left and right.

I put in a lot of work over the weekend working on that club. The shaft is a bit lighter than I’m used to. While SS is up, the distance isn’t because I’m having trouble hitting the center of the face. But I’ll play a few rounds, track my stats and see if there’s any benefit over my Maltby driver - which I hit fairly well this weekend in comparison.

I honestly won’t have a problem either way. Whichever club helps my game will be the one I play.

Played yesterday, and it seems I've developed the chipping yips! I tried several methods on the course including Mickelson's "hinge and hold", standing closer with the heel up off the ground, no wrist action.....I think before my round today I am going to experiment with different grips, a reverse overlap putting grip, cross-handed, and split hands and see if any of them can help with the problem.

These yips don't translate over to my putting game, as that was good all day, with me nearly making some extremely long putts that would have saved my score.

I’m hoping to get out for the first round of the year Thursday. This course will be a great test for the new Callaway Smoke driver. Lots of straight, long fairways without a lot of trouble left and right.

I put in a lot of work over the weekend working on that club. The shaft is a bit lighter than I’m used to. While SS is up, the distance isn’t because I’m having trouble hitting the center of the face. But I’ll play a few rounds, track my stats and see if there’s any benefit over my Maltby driver - which I hit fairly well this weekend in comparison.

I honestly won’t have a problem either way. Whichever club helps my game will be the one I play.
My son has always played Cobras or Titleists. A friend of mine got an AI Smoke and my son (me LOL) bought his Paradym. Kid is hitting it very well. Then he hit my buddies AI Smoke. Holy Schnitzel, that is a nice driver. Not that I can hit a 9* stiff any more. LOL

Played yesterday, and it seems I've developed the chipping yips! I tried several methods on the course including Mickelson's "hinge and hold", standing closer with the heel up off the ground, no wrist action.....I think before my round today I am going to experiment with different grips, a reverse overlap putting grip, cross-handed, and split hands and see if any of them can help with the problem.

These yips don't translate over to my putting game, as that was good all day, with me nearly making some extremely long putts that would have saved my score.

And buy Dan Grieve’s book. Then practice these and thank us later. 😝

Which shaft did you go with Jon… I want to try Hzrdus Red 50 or Ascent Blue 40 & 50

Tensei Blue 50. I can definitely feel the head but I’m having trouble with control.
You’ll work it out… I’ve played Ping drivers for years, and usually get a new one every other generation, I think the transition is easy because I’m hitting the same OEM’s club
Whenever I mess around with a different brand in a store or try a friends club though, everything looks and feels off.
You probably just need to get used to a new look.

Last edited:
You’ll work it out… I’ve played Ping drivers for years, and usually get a new one every other generation, I think the transition is easy because I’m hitting the same OEM’s club
Whenever I mess around with a different brand in a store or try a friends club though, everything looks and feels off. You probably just need to get used to a new look.
More than likely, you’re exactly right. There’s always the option of trying a different shaft. Historically, I’ve struggled with light driver shafts.
The head is amazing, though (the model I was fitted for is the Max). I posted this earlier, but even with my shots being all over the face, the results are still pretty good. I have hit a few slices with the new club, but part of the process of getting used to the new shaft (and overall driver improvement) is focusing on tightening up the path and face.

Thursday the kid is on spring break (seems a week or so early to me, but whatever).
Interesting tidbit I learned about spring break years ago from locals in Ft. Lauderdale. Spring break follows a geographic pattern. If you go to a northern university like University of Wisconsin it happens early (end of January to first half of February). Then the universities a little further south of these and continues this pattern with the southern schools having the latest spring break.

How was your new hybrid?
I only tried it once, club is longer than my 3 hybrid and has a heavy head. Like maybe it's weighted in the head. Anyway hit behind the ball, but that's the way my game is right now. Really have to concentrate on the ball or I hit behind it. I think maybe the person that had it before me, used it to tee off with.

Last edited:
Arthritis! Apparently, it’s pretty bad in my left base of thumb joint, I have a thumb brace and volteren. Suggested tamerack and/or tart cherry juice. Going to PT Thursday morning to try KT tape since I can’t play with the brace. I have Celebrex for some leg and hip issues and that helps too. I can play and actually it’s not bad. I put the brace back on after and that seems to help recovery.

This developed after I started wearing an Apple Watch and I was doing speed training with the Super Speed system. I think it’s more likely the left handed swings with the Super Speed hat aggravated my left thumb. My normal right handed swings don’t trigger any pain, but my thumb will be pretty sore about 20 minutes after playing. I can get a cortisone shot, but that’s temporary. Other way is surgery to deaden the pain nerves. Argh! I hate falling apart!

You’re the guy who came in here out of nowhere and posted that the 50 members in my club you know are sandbaggers, but “I’m the problem” because I came back at you for saying what you did?
That’s so precious.
I said I know 50 guys and SOME are sandbaggers and I am not from nowhere. I gave 1 real exsample.

Whenever I mess around with a different brand in a store or try a friends club though, everything looks and feels off.
You probably just need to get used to a new look.

If I’m used to hitting a shaft that’s relatively heavy and relatively stiffer and I switch to a shaft that’s lighter and has a softer flex, could that contribute to going from a predominately inside-out path with my previous to a outside-in path with the new club?
Or is it more likely to be the opposite?

If I’m used to hitting a shaft that’s relatively heavy and relatively stiffer and I switch to a shaft that’s lighter and has a softer flex, could that contribute to going from a predominately inside-out path with my previous to a outside-in path with the new club?
Or is it more likely to be the opposite?
It could be harder for you to feel the club at and near the top of your backswing, which could affect your transition and lead to an OTT move and outside-in path. IMO. YMMV.

Back