"The almost best round you have ever had"

Briton G

2023 Grandaddy X
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know I am not alone in this but last summer for the championship round in our league. We were playing the back 9 (par 35), fairly simple and straight forward nine holes and pretty short. Hardest hole is the only par 5 on the back. I almost always start off with a bogey on the par 3 10th. This round was no different but then the next holes went as follows:
11. Par
12. Birdie
13 Birdie
14 Birdie
15. Birdie (Tough Par 5)
16 Par.

At this point I just realized going into the last 2 holes that I was going for a career Low with my 2 best holes left, 2 very easy Par/Birdie holes. It did not end as bad as it could of but I ended up messing both of my drives and saved bogey on both of them to shoot one under 34.....which I was still happy with but just bummed out that I finished my 2 favorite holes on the back nine so poorly.

When I was a 14 handicap, I shot a -1 front 9 (35). My goodness, the fear and pressure on the back 9 was immense I couldn’t hold on... Ended up with a 77 which is fantastic for a 14 handicap but still... what could have been...

If I had played the front 9 (40) with the same don't give a crap attitude that I played the back 9 (33) yesterday I would have had a amazing round but, I'll take the +1 73. 😉

Last day of our trip to Big Cedar. First group of the day at Ozark National.

42 degrees, a sky that looks like death will rain down on us at any moment as the low clouds were boiling. But deathly still. I caught lighting in a bottle and went LOW (for me) on the front 9, carding a 42. At the turn it was hard to keep my excitement in check. The sun came out and the wind kicked up. Shot a 50 on the back to "only" tie a personal best round. But I'll always remember this round as it was such a great time on an amazing and challenging course. Perfect capper to a great golf trip with friends.

Sounds like tough conditions. I hate playing in high winds and colder weather. @mtbloco

-3/33 for 9 holes. Didn't get to finish as we got stormed out.

Sounds like tough conditions. I hate playing in high winds and colder weather. @mtbloco

When we got to 18....the fairway sprinklers were still on. after playing frogger to get to our approach shots, the assistant course pro came out to apologize. IT turns out that us AZ desert rats played the course is 3 hours flat and we caught them off guard at how fast we played.

Maybe playing with three lays of thermals and extra gloves is the secret sauce for me?

I had a 9 hole round where I hit all 9 greens in regulation and shot even par. It was too dark too play any more.

Going waaayyyy back, but when I was a freshman in college we were playing the tournament championship at a great course in Bangor called Penobscot Valley. I missed a par putt on number 9 that would have given me my first sub-40 9 hole score. That day my coach loaned me his Wilson Killer Whale driver for the day, and I was great with it on that front. The absolute highlight of that front-9 was hitting that driver off the deck on #7 and hitting the green in two on that par 5. I didn't make the eagle putt but did get the tap-in birdie. Man those were the days :ROFLMAO:

I've shot 70 a handful of times in my younger days, never broke into the 60s though.

Last year, I shot 74 in the member-member at the club. I hit one out of bounds on the front nine, missed a 6ft'er for par on the front. On the back: 3 putted 11 for bogey, missed a 4ft par putt on 17, and 3 putted for par on 18. So, shoulda/coulda/woulda, but that was probably "the round that could have been" for me.

The only other one was a 9 hole round I played with my Dad on a break from college my freshman year. Caught fire and shot 32 (-4) on the front. It was after he got off work, so we had no chance of playing the back 9 before dark. Would have really liked to see what the final score would have been on that one, especially considering the back is a par 35.

Going waaayyyy back, but when I was a freshman in college we were playing the tournament championship at a great course in Bangor called Penobscot Valley. I missed a par putt on number 9 that would have given me my first sub-40 9 hole score. That day my coach loaned me his Wilson Killer Whale driver for the day, and I was great with it on that front. The absolute highlight of that front-9 was hitting that driver off the deck on #7 and hitting the green in two on that par 5. I didn't make the eagle putt but did get the tap-in birdie. Man those were the days :ROFLMAO:
One of my favorite courses! Getting up to the green is always fun on #9 sitting up on the hill! This is where I landed my second a couple of weeks ago when I played it,
20210410_112940.jpg
Tough chip from there with a front pin! 😳

Yup I absolutely remember that uphill approach! I was really hitting it well that day (GIR) but I 3-putted that hole 🤦‍♂️
That's a easy hole to do that when the greens are rolling fast and it's a front pin, it slopes pretty hard to the front. I have had a ball roll half way down the hill on my 3rd. putt and just said F it, ESC! 😎

I had an 82 last year with a triple on #18, but this 82 from earlier in the year saw 2 triples. :oops: Still searching for my first sub-80 round in over 5 years!
E0543E5E-2A4A-4434-AE82-0081D1F3D17C.jpeg

That's a easy hole to do that when the greens are rolling fast and it's a front pin, it slopes pretty hard to the front. I have had a ball roll half way down the hill on my 3rd. putt and just said F it, ESC! 😎
It's kind of funny, the local course I play at has two holes that are very similar to this one. Both 1 and 4 are pretty straight, only about 360 from the blues, but the green is about 80 yards above the fairway below. Many a time have I chipped/pitched off that terrible slope. You almost hope it just rolls back down to the flat :LOL:

I have never broken 70, but a long ways back, all I had to do was par the 18th hole and I shoot 69.
I pushed the drive into the treeline and right up against a tree with roots showing.
I'm only 140 out from the pin so I play safe and chip out sideways to the fairway.
Unfortunately my wedge hits a root and I barely clip the top of the ball and it goes nowhere.
I chip it again and get it to the fairway. Hoping I can sink the 140 yard shot and with the fact that 140 was my limit with the 9 iron, I club up to the 8 and put a smooth swing on it.
I flushed it and sent it 10 yards over the 3 tier green with the pin in the lower front tier. 1 chip and a putt .....I end up with 71 :mad:

I still have yet to break 70.

Basically every round this year has been an “almost” best round. It started in NC. My last round there I played the front +5 maybe +6. And then I was exhausted by the back 9 and fell apart. Had two rounds here where I shot terrible front 9’s (I think 48 and 49) and then proceeded to shoot 41s after doubling 18

...early 2000's...low round was a 77(11-12 handicap at the time)...same course a year later and I was even after 13...went 9 over coming in for an 81...one could certainly say that I "choked," but I don't remember freaking out(too much)...just stumbled and bumbled my way home..."happy" with an 81; but certainly will always wonder "what could have been."...

Last edited:
PB is 68, but I've shot that 5 times. I once had it to 5-under standing on the 18th tee of Arrowhead CC in Glendale, AZ, a definite birdie hole IF you hit the fairway (it's a short par-5).

In my mind, I'm going to shoot a 66 but may settle for a par and a new PB 67. Instead, I pump it OB right and hit my 3rd into the water. I carry my 5th shot over the water but right of the green. Chip up and 2-putt for an 8 and a 70... still makes me sick to think about it.

one of two rounds come to mind:

1. the guy who works on my clubs invited me to play with him, a mutual friend, and a mini tour player. we didn't play the hardest course in my area, but we did play the tips. i drove it terribly, but my irons and putter were on fire. i shot even par 72. BUT, i doubled an easy par 4, and 3-putted for bogey on a par 5. par those holes and i shoot 69.

2. just a couple weeks ago shot 75. but i doubled an easy par 4, and missed so many putts inside 10'. also could have been in the 60s.

I had a round in the summer of 2019 where I started +3 after 3. I got it to even through 11 and then played the last 7 in +8. I had a couple of good looks at birdie but they didn't fall, the par saves turned into tap in bogeys and a missed 1 footer for bogey on 18 left me fuming. I played "what if" for a while with that round.

I have been trying to break 80 during tournament play forever. I have broken it a multitude of times during casual play, and the main reason is the difficulty of the course and the pressure I put on myself to do it. I have come close many times, but can't seem to get it done. I was in perfect position to break 80 during a tournament, on a challenging course, sitting at 65 strokes with three holes left. I was parring everything that day, making great shots, and just had a par 4, par 3, and par 4 left to play. If I just bogeyed them I would be at 79 but ended up double bogeying each of them for an 82. That's a great round for me on such a challenging course, but what could have been with just simple bogies. Sometimes they aren't so simple!

I missed birdie putts on 17 (8', dead straight, 1 revolution short), and 18 (9' uphill, just short again) to tie my best score once. I hardly ever think about it though..

:cautious:

Back