The best shot of the round

205 out from the flag on 18 par5 at Creekmoor Golf Club in Raymore, MO. Stuck the green with my 3h. Was a blind shot due to elevation. Had a long eagle putt and tapped in for Birdie to finish rd4 of the year. Shot 101, had 3 drops from lost drives, 1 drop from going in the water on a par 3, and another drop going in the water on an aggressive approach shot on another hole. Two times I got stuck in a trap and took two shots to get out. But I hit a 45ft putt on a hole and drained two other ~25 ft putts. My 4th round since returning to golf. Feeling good. Going lower next round! Need to work on course mgmt, bunker shots, and I need to shift my mentality on par 3s..they always get to my head. But I hit 8 fairways which was nice and had 33 putts.
IMG_1514.png

Forty yard pitch shot from the dirt on the right side over a bunker to a slightly elevated green. Pulled my Vokey 54/10S on the 7th hole.
Finally got a shot that stayed on the tiny green! Normally it bounces off the green leaving me a 10 yard chip to get up and down.

It is the type of shot that gets in your head for a lot of reasons. Bad lie. The bunker. Can't see the landing spot.
It is an easy hole if you keep it in the fairway and brutal if you slice it past the trees. But, the left side is OB with lots of people and cars.
They put tennis courts and community gardens across the street on the left side.

Last edited:
I don't post about drives being the best shot of the round, but today was a surprise. Very windy, but the driver was one of my better clubs today. A short par 4 with the pin tucked front right, behind a bunker. I hit a straight drive up the left side over the fairway bunker leaving a clear shot to the pin. Position A. Made the bird!

1708117081279.png

10th hole was about 360. Hooked a 5W off the tee, PW came up short of the green leaving around 20 yards to the pin. Chipped it on using the bottom few grooves of my 58 and it bit hard and rolled like a putt to find the cup. I thought I hit it too skinny and the ball was gonna run hard. Nope, perfect chip. I gotta learn how to hit the bottom 2 grooves on purpose.

I haven't frequented this forum much since i joined many years ago, so having come back to it, I found it really interesting to see this particular thread. Please forgive me for length of this, but I think it needs a bit of explanation.

At 74 years old, I have FINALLY gotten rid of my overly competitive feelings as a high school and college player. Now, I can go out to play golf and concentrate on being with friends doing something we love instead of whether I make birdies and pars. That part of my game is now in the long ago past. Thank god for that, and I'm sure my wife is happy about it.

The title of this tread really describes my game these days. When i come home, the great majority of what I'm thinking about would be the few really good shots I hit, maybe shots that reminded me of what I could once do.

Last Monday, the shots I remembered most were really good judgement calls. I was playing in 25-30 mph winds and trying to figure out what club to hit was a big challenge, complicated by me playing with a new set of irons I wasn't so familiar with yet. It was fun to hit a couple downwind drives 20-30 yards farther than my usual 200 yard drives. A 3 hybrid on a slightly uphill 185 yard par 3 that made the green was a BIG highlight. A 155 yard 6 iron against the wind on the last hole, needing to clear a canal in front of the green was probably the purest shot I hit all day.

There's another aspect to my game that I seem to remember a lot. When I lived in Jamaica, I learned to play a lot of bump and run shots along the ground and I've worked hard to maintain that skill. Playing under the wind, hitting little running shots with a 6-7 iron and actually getting them onto the greens a few times made my day.

I haven't frequented this forum much since i joined many years ago, so having come back to it, I found it really interesting to see this particular thread. Please forgive me for length of this, but I think it needs a bit of explanation.

At 74 years old, I have FINALLY gotten rid of my overly competitive feelings as a high school and college player. Now, I can go out to play golf and concentrate on being with friends doing something we love instead of whether I make birdies and pars. That part of my game is now in the long ago past. Thank god for that, and I'm sure my wife is happy about it.

The title of this tread really describes my game these days. When i come home, the great majority of what I'm thinking about would be the few really good shots I hit, maybe shots that reminded me of what I could once do.

Last Monday, the shots I remembered most were really good judgement calls. I was playing in 25-30 mph winds and trying to figure out what club to hit was a big challenge, complicated by me playing with a new set of irons I wasn't so familiar with yet. It was fun to hit a couple downwind drives 20-30 yards farther than my usual 200 yard drives. A 3 hybrid on a slightly uphill 185 yard par 3 that made the green was a BIG highlight. A 155 yard 6 iron against the wind on the last hole, needing to clear a canal in front of the green was probably the purest shot I hit all day.

There's another aspect to my game that I seem to remember a lot. When I lived in Jamaica, I learned to play a lot of bump and run shots along the ground and I've worked hard to maintain that skill. Playing under the wind, hitting little running shots with a 6-7 iron and actually getting them onto the greens a few times made my day.
...and that is exactly what this thread is about. We share the high points of each round and celebrate them together. Welcome to the Best Shot of the Round thread!

Today it was two separate putts from 10-12 get to save par and bogey

The temperature reached 47 degrees today, so I got a round in this afternoon. Only a minimal amount of snow left around the edges, but everything was soggy. So, the course played long. It was all carry and thus GIRs were especially important. Nevertheless, I'm going with a chip early in the round while I was adjusting as BSOTR. I came up short on a par 3 leaving about 70 feet to the pin. Almost holed it coming up 2 inches short.

The temperature reached 60 degrees today, so a bunch of us headed out to play 18. Approach shots saw improvement, which is one of the main things I look for to measure how my game is rounding into shape this time of year. A group kindly let us play through on the 5th hole. This par 3 had a tricky pin today. The green is very much cone-shaped and the pin was on the right side as it slopes considerably. Hit a laser 10 feet left of the flag that landed 2 feet short of the pin and came to rest 5 feet right of the pin. BSOTR. Made the birdie putt. Always good to do that with an audience!

Apple Mountain 15th, short par-3, only playing about 85 yds yesterday, hit my 60* wedge to about one foot, right behind the hole. Got my heart rate up for a second there, as the ball really looked like it might go in for an ace, which I've still never done.

AM_2-27-24_15th_01.jpg

AM_2-27-24_15th_02.jpg

somehow, my drive rolled up onto this 6'ish ft strip between two fairway bunkers and left me about 150 yds out with a little uneven footing. hit a nice, high 8i that landed about 15ft from the pin as the group ahead was putting their clubs away...got a glare from one of them but they were completely out of the way (to me, at least)

RC 2-28 app.JPG

somehow, my drive rolled up onto this 6'ish ft strip between two fairway bunkers and left me about 150 yds out with a little uneven footing. hit a nice, high 8i that landed about 15ft from the pin as the group ahead was putting their clubs away...got a glare from one of them but they were completely out of the way (to me, at least)

View attachment 9245502
Often the players ahead judge whether you should have pulled the trigger or not based on how THEY hit the ball, not how YOU hit the ball.

I hit one of the best bunker shots of my life last round in very wet sand. Normally those can give me trouble but I trusted it and gave it speed and hit it inside a foot.

Today we had a day in the 60s...for a while. The weather started changing partway through as the wind came and the temps dropped. Anyway, this course has an almost 500-yard par 4 that is always a bear! The tee shot is over a pond then uphill about 250 yards to a crown-shaped green. My second shot was a 3W that lasered to the center of the green, peeling off a little after it rolled onto the green but still was pretty much the center section of the green and made for an easy 2-putt par.

Honorable mention goes to the tee shot on the 5th hole, a 160-yard par 3. A high baby draw that landed and stopped after one hop just 1 foot from the pin for an easy kick-in birdie.

Last edited:
193 yard par-3 third hole. Tee shot to 10 feet. Made the putt. Have to say the tee shot was the better of the two.

PW to 7 feet that resulted in my first birdie in several rounds

Tee shot left 96yds to the pin. LW went 94 :)

It was pretty windy and some snow or sleet or something started falling while I was playing. I thought about calling it after 9 but it’s a good thing I didn’t. Hole 13, par 4. Wind and temps knocked down my 6i approach 24 yards short in the greenside bunker. About a 4 ft. lip to clear but lots of green. Pulled my 54 and opened it up on the rain firmed sand. Finished long and right of the hole but I’ll take that shot any day.

IMG_0889.jpeg

I had some nice approach shots today. On a steep uphill par 4 my tee shot was long and barely rolled into the left rough. The lie was decent and I was 135 yards to the flag, but a blind shot where I still had to account for elevation and the uphill lie. I stuck it pin high 5 feet right of the flag and sunk the putt for birdie.

After a miss left and a punch out I hit the shot of the day and almost holed out. Saved a much needed par!
20240312_155253.jpg

Holed out a PW from 125 for my first eagle of the year. Hole played longer than listed because of the wind and SOGGY ground.
739d1350d95570a064c2317ff5504dc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather has kept me off the course the last couple of weeks. So, it felt good to get out. It took a few holes to get the driver and approach shots locked in. But the chipping and putting was there all day. We'll go with a chip on the 1st hole as BSOTR as it sort of sets the tone. I pushed the driver left (I play left-handed) and struck a nice recovery shot between the trees, but it landed short of the elevated green in the rough. The lie was decent though I had to walk halfway up to the green to see the flag. I did a good job accounting for the extra loft introduced by the uphill lie and popped it up to my landing spot about 6 feet short and 2 feet left of the hole. I ran up the hill fast enough to see it land roll out and right and just rim out at the hole. It left a 10-inch putt for par.

Honorable mention goes to the fairway metal I hit from 200 yards out to a green that is straight up a hill. This almost 500-yard par 4 is a monster, but the shot soared straight toward the pin and finished flag high 20 feet left of the hole (crown-shaped green). Came so close to birdie on the first putt. But I'll take a kick-in par any day on that hole.

Last round it was the Paradym Super Hybrid 2 off the tee on a tight hole that previously has given me trouble. I was able to hit the fairway and have an easy par. A close second would be my putting which was solid once again

227 par-3 with a helping breeze quartering left to right. I hit my tee shot on a line 5-10 feet left of the hole. I could not see the front half of the green but I knew if I had the distance, it should be close. It was. Maybe 4 feet past the hole. My shot of the round.

Oh, yes, the birdie putt, I missed it. 😩

Back