The Draw Is Overrated

Sure, it may “fit your eye”, and yes there’s tour pros that do it.
Fine, you can eek out an extra 6 yards.

but to score? consistency?

Fade.
Stop drawing.
Fade.

:unsure:

If that is your natural ball flight I definitely agree. I think you should understand your natural shot shape and hit that 95% of the time only working against it when you have no other option. If you naturally draw the ball then draw it. If you naturally fade then fade it. For years I exclusively played a cut. If I had to work long shot left I would hit 3w but that was only if there was no other option off the tee.

But..... I still want one. I want a reliable baby draw. Not the weird one I can pull out every once in a while (not on purpose at all).

Don't get me wrong, a fade is easy, typically more manageable for me, and if anything the fall back always there option.

I mean a lot of people will have a tighter dispersion hitting a draw rather than a fade. I am not one of them (at least with the longer clubs) which is why I hit a fade.

I mean a lot of people will have a tighter dispersion hitting a draw rather than a fade. I am not one of them (at least with the longer clubs) which is why I hit a fade.

really? why?

For argument's purposes........and clarity.....what is the difference between a fade a cut and slice in the opinions of fellow THPers?

I played with someone earlier this year that was like "I play a power cut".......I raise an eyebrow and then watched him play what I have always known as just a horrible slice that literally moved from the trees on the left side of the fairway into the trees on the right side of the fairway where he just hoped and prayed for a a good kick......

He was consistent in that if he didn't hit the trees on the left side his ball would head straight into whatever was on the right side.......

IMHO, a cut is a "slight" movement from left to right for a righty.........a "fade" is probably a little more pronounced and aggressive but with either of those most of the L to R movement occurs at the apex of the flight and isn't a screaming demon slice from hell you see at a coin operated range by the mini-golf/hot dog place..... so a "fade" to me would start out on the left side of the fairway or left rough and then end up center or right side fairway......

I'd be happy with a consistent fade, and not a slice! It would be nice to hit a pretty draw on command though.

really? why?

Hard to say anything specifically since there are a ton of factors that effect dispersion.

For myself, I can hit both a draw and fade but I am far more likely to hit a double cross (push-fade for a draw, pull-hook for a fade) trying to draw the ball which is why my dispersion is significantly tighter when fading it. I'd venture some drawers of the golf ball have the opposite problem.

If you really want to work the ball, one option may be to either carry a shorter driver that has been properly swing weighted, or to carry two drivers.
Each of the two drivers can be optimized for a different shot shape.

I loved the draw until now I cant stop hooking the **** out of the ball

How do you hit a slice haha

I hit a fade with some consistency and draw up my shots that way. Dreaming of the draw has faded away no matter how you slice it and the cut has me hook line and sinker. No I am thoroughly confused. :ROFLMAO:

a draw is my natural shot shape.

haven't the long-hitting pros mostly all gone to a fade?
because...it's longer. and consistent.

me: not a pro.

I think most people are more confident swinging hard/fast when hitting a cut/fade than a draw.

For argument's purposes........and clarity.....what is the difference between a fade a cut and slice in the opinions of fellow THPers?

I played with someone earlier this year that was like "I play a power cut".......I raise an eyebrow and then watched him play what I have always known as just a horrible slice that literally moved from the trees on the left side of the fairway into the trees on the right side of the fairway where he just hoped and prayed for a a good kick......

He was consistent in that if he didn't hit the trees on the left side his ball would head straight into whatever was on the right side.......

IMHO, a cut is a "slight" movement from left to right for a righty.........a "fade" is probably a little more pronounced and aggressive but with either of those most of the L to R movement occurs at the apex of the flight and isn't a screaming demon slice from hell you see at a coin operated range by the mini-golf/hot dog place..... so a "fade" to me would start out on the left side of the fairway or left rough and then end up center or right side fairway......
to me the main difference is height of flight, or apex. A fade will usually fly higher and land softer than a draw.
Not just a whole lot of people can hit a high soft draw...on purpose.
And, I agree. A power fade, as they call it, should move too awfully much; 10,12,15 yards max. IMO.

Draws are sexy, fades are weak. Anyone can hit a fade.

It is interesting reading instruction books from the early 20th century regarding the difference in techniques between British professionals and American professionals. It seems the British predominately played the fade while the American technique leaned towards a draw. The Americans played one club less than the British using a heavier club. According to the authors the American style had its roots in the Scottish professionals who immigrated to America during its birth of golf in the early 1900s. They brought a links style which kept the ball down and running. The fade was a shut to open release while the draw was an open to shut release. Today the predominant release on tour is a shut to open release which can produce both draw spin and fade spin with today's equipment. One wipes across the ball from inside to out with a stable clubface while the other wipes across from outside to in with the same stable clubface. The difference between the two is the speed and timing of the body rotation through impact.

One wipes across the ball from inside to out with a stable clubface while the other wipes across from outside to in with the same stable clubface. The difference between the two is the speed and timing of the body rotation through impact.
I'm kinda late to the party, but that's what I have finally learned. No need to change clubface or try any manipulation. Maybe just a slight/gentle twist of club in the grip at setup.

Lee Trevino says it best IMG_1023.jpeg

I only turn them over when it's needed. I much prefer a fade because the hit and sit.

Can't fade anything less than a 3 wood so will continue to play a draw with all clubs. Fade is not in my DNA.

For me, I agree that a draw is a nemesis. It can become a hard hook without warning. Much prefer a soft fade.

Anti-Draw? Anti-Bratwurst?

Anti-Santa? Anti-Freedom? Anti-Puppies?

I mean, what’s the end game here???

Last edited:
Would you rather play a draw or eat a bratwurst?

Sure, it may “fit your eye”, and yes there’s tour pros that do it.
Fine, you can eek out an extra 6 yards.

but to score? consistency?

Fade.
Stop drawing.
Fade.

:unsure:
Lol I love this! I had switched to a fade couple years ago and kind of lost it this year and it has been annoying… I love playing a fade

Back