The Eagle - Elusive or Regular

usually eagle opportunity is remote.... putts from way outside makeable range... the one or two that were within reason.... resulted in putts lipping out. very solid tap for bird.

I made a 75 foot putt for eagle in my last round. That was my fifth this year.

Never made one but this is been the first year where I find myself having a decent opportunity every few rounds. So far I’ve had two putts for eagle and a couple of short chips. Hit the pin from 100 yards out on a par 4 to get my first. Still no idea how it didn’t drop in

None recently, but back in the day, 35 +/- years ago, I'd get 2, or 3 a year. Most of those were on the par 5s at the long gone Craig Ranch course.

I have a couple of par 4 eagles to my credit. Both of those at the old Desert Rose course.

I missed a par 3 eagle by a few inches the other day....lol

Elusive for sure.
I've had a handful in all my golfing years, and half of those were hole out's from 80-100yrds on par 5's.
The best are hole out's from the fairways on par 4's and stuffing a long, outside 210 for me, fw or hyb inside feet on a par five.
I've never been a big hitter, but I'm not crooked either, so those long par 5 approach shots are the big memories for me.

usually eagle opportunity is remote.... putts from way outside makeable range... the one or two that were within reason.... resulted in putts lipping out. very solid tap for bird.
Same here, for the most part. Long, long eagle putts, or hoping for a lucky bounce on an approach. But the luck of a short par 5, plus a great drive, saw the stars align. You'll get there my man!

Reaching par 5s for me these days is very rare. I think I've had eagle putts maybe 4 or 5 times over my last few hundred rounds. (I mainly play yardages in the 6500-6600 range, but would probably have more chance at eagles if I played the 6200-ish middle tees at my home course with my aging 95-97 mph swingspeed. I'm just not ready to give in, yet. I still play well, just not a very long hitter anymore.) However, I do have a number of eagles on par 4s through the years, including one a couple years ago from a deep fairway bunker with 5 foot lip to a blind green 150 yards away. I knew I hit the shot well, but was surprised when I came up over the ridge in the cart where the pin came into view and I saw no ball on the green. I was pissed. I knew I'd flushed it right on target and fully expected to see it on the green. We all looked in the thick rough behind the green thinking I must have been long, then the sides and front. Finally looked in the hole. Sure enough, there it sat for an eagle 2. Will never forget that one.

My eagle output has diminished significantly over the past 5 years due to 2 main reasons: I started traveling in 2016 and really didn't play golf from 2016 - 2019 except when I'd come back to TX or AZ for vacations. I've been back in TX since late 2019 and my course has only 4 par-5's over 27 holes and only one of them provides regular opportunities for eagles.

Before 2016, I made plenty of eagles on a regular basis, with 99% of them on par-5's. The last 2 eagles I made were this year in Mexico.

Reaching par 5s for me these days is very rare. I think I've had eagle putts maybe 4 or 5 times over my last few hundred rounds. (I mainly play yardages in the 6500-6600 range, but would probably have more chance at eagles if I played the 6200-ish middle tees at my home course with my aging 95-97 mph swingspeed. I'm just not ready to give in, yet. I still play well, just not a very long hitter anymore.) However, I do have a number of eagles on par 4s through the years, including one a couple years ago from a deep fairway bunker with 5 foot lip to a blind green 150 yards away. I knew I hit the shot well, but was surprised when I came up over the ridge in the cart where the pin came into view and I saw no ball on the green. I was pissed. I knew I'd flushed it right on target and fully expected to see it on the green. We all looked in the thick rough behind the green thinking I must have been long, then the sides and front. Finally looked in the hole. Sure enough, there it sat for an eagle 2. Will never forget that one.
Your story is the same as mine. I am fortunate to play at 4000 elevation. The difference is real and my home course has very difficult par 3s, but three par 5’s that remain reachable in two for me, so I get eagle looks fairly often. If I played at sea level all the time, eagles would be very rare, unless I moved up a tee box.

Regularly elusive I guess. I just had one on Sunday, which was my first one this year. I've recorded 5 eagles on the Grint since I've started using it in 2016, so I average about 1 a year. I think I had 2 last year though. My course has 2 gettable par 5's though, so it's definitely course dependent.

Had a chance this past weekend from about 20 feet. Missed, but had a pretty easy birdie which is always nice.

Very elusive for me. I made 1 last year and am yet to eagle this year. The course I play the most has a par 5 that is reachable under perfect circumstances for me, but I usually play to a number on the par 5s anyway.

I made two in my last two rounds.
Day 1 - Chipped in from just off the green.
Day 2 - Par 5 was playing short, hit a solid drive and left me a 6 iron in. Hit to 8 feet and made the putt.

Very very elusive. Not the longest of hitter with most par 5s unreachable or just over 200 out.

I don't think I've ever gotten one so I'd say they were rare for me.

There's a reasonable chance of seeing an eagle flying above the course. Finding one on my scorecard is remote. I have 2 eagles after 250+ rounds on my home course. Probably 5 additional opportunities where I missed the putt. In general, I don't go for it in two on the par 5s because the risk/reward odds don't favor my game. If I could hit a driver 25 yards farther then....

I have 2 but they were both on short par 4s at an executive so I don't count them. I have yet to drop one on a real course despite playing weekly for about a year and a half now. I have had a few eagle putts this year and maybe a half dozen chips but am still trying to get the first one to drop.

I've had about 5 chances this year. Haven't converted any.

Only have 2 in my life and the last one was ten years ago or more. But I'm getting more chances these days and i expect one to fall soon.

My only eagle was also my only hole in one. It occurred on 6/2/97.

Just played in a 2 man BB this weekend....I was lucky enough to get 2 eagles. One on a par 5, on in 2 and drained a putt. Second was a shorter par 4, drove it up by the green and chipped in for the 2nd eagle of the day. Lucky day and some $$ skin money on both holes!;)

I haven't ever counted mine but I would say I am probably in the 5-8 per year range. Playing at my home course from the one up blue tees we have 2 gettable par 5's and 4 par 4's than can be driveable depending on conditions and wind. The leads to quite a few chances through out the year.

Back