CONTEST The Engagement: The 2021 Grandaddy of em All with Callaway Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a great opportunity. JB says "it can be a life changing journey and really change your outlook on the game we all love ". I have belonged to a club for years. When I joined I only knew a couple people but as time and years went by through golf and random pairings I became friends with people who are now some of my best friends in the world. Our friendship developed into more than our common love of golf it grew into lifetime friendships. Dinners with the wives, hanging out during the season and offseason. Texting about everything from the Buffalo Bills to current events to where we will meet for breakfast. Couple of the guys and I have been taking an annual winter golf trip to the Scottsdale area and we couldn't have more fun or be better friends. I can't imagine not knowing my friends or not spending socially a lot of time at the club ( my wife also golfs and is a member so that really is a big part of our lives and I love it. Which leads me to the contest questions posed on engagement.

1. Before the event.

What I have noticed over the years (and this year is no exception ) is how tight the team members are and how much passion they exhibit. I can only imagine the texts flying between the group and as time goes by and you get to know each other the friendships you make. That is a great thing about Golf you generally meet nice people and start out with something in common a love of golf. So were I part of the team engaging with the group would be something I would enjoy. I think the thing here is even though many of us have never met we feel like we know each other from the posts and conversations and my hope would be one of the things I would get from this experience would be a group of friends that would become friends for life , stay in touch, and even reunion get togethers. As to THP engagement in general I have played Callaway for a while and I truly like their products. I am working hard on my game and I really should have a lower handicap than I do and I am taking steps to accomplish that. I have the Epic Max LS which already has helped my game as well as the Apex 21 5 and 6 DCB and 7 -AW standard .I made these choices from many of the reviews I read here, the podcasts and ultimately trying those. The reviews also helped me make selections not only to help my game in general but for shots I would need to hit at my home course I will continue to talk about how they have helped my game and why they have and hopefully someone here can do as I have done take those comments when thinking about their game and what might be best for them. Hopefully by December I will be below a 10 handicap and what I have read here about equipment which aided in my selection and my Callaway choices will be one of the reasons for that. I will share my experience through posts.

2. After the event.

The other question was "how you plan to review or engage with THPers after the event". This would be fun and easy to do. Besides talking about the experience which im sure is incredible and you can feel the joy , incredible friendships and bonds that were formed between teammates from past teams when they talk about it talking about whatever clubs I may get would be fun and I would talk about them and review them regularly and join in conversations. And hopefully we will be able to take our annual Scottsdale trip at the end of February which would be a perfect time to play the new clubs outside in great weather and really be in a position to post and talk about them. I think that is important to really engage post Grandaddy because that is why THP and Callaway put on this event and I understand it is important to review and communicate the experience and talk about the clubs.

While we had been courting each other for years, I was hesitant to finally take the "next step" and become engaged. While THP has been my go-to, if I occasionally look at other sites I don't feel guilty. But, eventually in every relationship the time comes to show one's dedication to the other and dedicate yourself to them for the rest of your life.

While I have enjoyed the game of golf in many different locations and with many people whom I have never met before (and would never see again) there is always opportunity for new and exciting experiences. As with any good marriage, the game of golf has offered me plenty of chances to interact with others, share some stories all the while enjoying their company in enjoyable settings.

If I can be selfish for a moment, I think that one of my best qualities is the fact that when I'm golfing with a friend or someone whom I've just met I get as much or even more enjoyment out of them making a great shot as I do making one myself. In fact, I tend to become more of a cheerleader for their game than I do for my own. The longer I've been on this site the more I believe it's a common theme amongst THPers. There aren't many people that I can't get along with.

As a result, I believe it will be incredibly simple and quick to engage with any and all THPers at an event such as the Grandaddy. I would waste no time in getting to know the participants, and learn as much as I could about them. What are their likes/dislikes? Why do they love the game of golf so much? What do they hope to get out of the experience and what can I possibly do to help them achieve that?

Did someone say equipment? While I'm not the analytic that some other members are, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to want to learn as much as I possibly can about it. But a huge part of that responsibility is to share as much of that information with the THP community - interacting directly with other members, sharing via the forums in any way I possibly can. What are their experiences? How do they compare to mine?

I've never had the opportunity to participate in a large-scale event such as the Grandaddy, but I believe that if I was fortunate to have the chance I would not only enjoy the heck out of it, but also do everything in my ability to ensure every other participant gets the maximum enjoyment out of it as well.

My Grandaddy engagement actually started almost 9 years ago. It has always been fun watching people's reaction when they get selected, following the team members preparation progress leading up to the event, following all of the awesomeness when they are having their minds blown during the ultimate amateur golfer experience and then reliving the entire experience with them through their post-Experience forum posts.

My personal engagement would begin immediately upon selection. After composing myself and making a few posts of excitement and disbelief, I would certainly make contact with my fellow teammates to get acquainted with them and get up to speed with what has happened prior to my selection and what the ongoing team plans are. During all of the initial excitement, I would definitely squeeze in some social media time to convey my excitement and educate under informed followers on the amazing Grandaddy. Additionally, I would develop a personal preparation plan and document that plan for accountability purposes in a forum thread. That should pretty well wrap up day one of being a Grandaddy participant.

From that point leading up to boarding the plane to euphoria, there will be daily ongoing communication via the forum, fun and supportive engagement with teammates, communication with past Grandaddy participants to learn more about the experience than what I have read throughout the years and periodic social media posts to keep the engagement going across various channels. Having not played any recent Callaway equipment, review threads will be devoured and questions asked of forum members that play the clubs. I would likely purchase some Callaway clubs to gain some experience with their updated technology and immediately switch to playing Chrome Soft golf balls.

At the actual Grandaddy, I would draw on the forum engagement that previous team members so expertly posted to involve the entire forum in their experiences. I would engage with the forum throughout the Grandaddy through words, pictures and videos that I would want to read or look at if I were not there. And, of course, the engagement with the Zoo Crew and everyone associated with The Hideaway, including the famous Al, will be friendly, done with the utmost of respect, inquisitive to gain knowledge and understanding, and fun.

The engagement is far from over after boarding the plane and sadly leaving California. Gathering thoughts and conveying a wrap-up of the entire experience to the forum is an important and fun part of the entire process. Reviewing the equipment and gear for numerous months following the completion of the Grandaddy is a vital part of the entire experience. And, of course, continuing friendships and communications with fellow teammates that I shared an experience of a lifetime with is like icing on the cake. Finally, I would relish in mentoring and advising future Grandaddy participants through the entire experience for whoever would be interested.

I throw an entry in.

I am a newish member and love the environment of THP. I think this could be a great opportunity to meet members and maybe build some lifetime friendships. If chosen I would love to review the provided equipment and give regular feedback.

Reading former participants experiences on this event has really opened my eyes to what this forum does for the average Joe golfer. I would love love love to be a part of that.

One more day for this one people! Get in if you haven't already! And don't be discouraged if not picked. Be pumped for who is and get ready for the next contest because we will still have teammates to find!

I would be crazy to not put my name in the hat for this however small the chances.

I have always been drawn to golf and really loved the game but not until recently has it become my "thing". I now consider myself a golfer at heart and everything I do revolves around it. I just got back from my first trip to Bandon Dunes with one of my golfing buddies and it was a life changing experience. I truly keeps me up at night thinking about how perfect that experience was and how much I want to do it again like tomorrow! That 18th hole fairway bunker on Pac Dunes will haunt me for a little while.

My experience here at THP has been great but as numbers show I am not a huge poster but I do check in daily and love to hear people thoughts on all things but mostly the equipment. I'm in the medical field so not at a computer often through the day and my home time and now spent mostly hanging with my 8 mo old and wife and sneaking in some backyard chipping practice. That being said one of the missing components for me on this site is actually getting to know some of you in person. Recently I have become involved in a local tournament group and also work with numerous golf pros as well as golfers and although "gab" was not necessarily gifted to me for most things I can talk all things golf with just about anyone till the cows come home. It really has become an obsession according to my wife.

So my plan to engagement before during and after this event is to spread the passion and experience the best I can. I will find the time to use the forum to make the experience assessible and fun for everyone that checks in. There is one thing I don't have a problem with and it's letting my passion for golf and especially equipment shine though in my words and conversations and that's what this is about yeah? Grandaddy or not, I hope to be able to spread some golf passion with some of your in person some day.

Tick tock people, not much time left to give yourself a chance at the trip of a lifetime.

Finally got caught up on reading all these entries! Great stuff guys!!!

One more day for this one people! Get in if you haven't already! And don't be discouraged if not picked. Be pumped for who is and get ready for the next contest because we will still have teammates to find!
Quoting this one again since it’s actually the final day now!

Random addition: I think the team members have an amazing engagement and connection with each other. This includes meaningful communication with previous GD teams, and from what I can tell, fantastic information directly from Callaway. Each of us can come up with our ideas, but the real engagement of the Grandaddy looks to come from the entire system that is honed from doing this for many years. They know what they are doing, and I think that anyone who joins the team simply needs to be open and willing to immerse in the process. The engagement outcomes for everyone will be amazing as always.

Random addition: I think the team members have an amazing engagement and connection with each other. This includes meaningful communication with previous GD teams, and from what I can tell, fantastic information directly from Callaway. Each of us can come up with our ideas, but the real engagement of the Grandaddy looks to come from the entire system that is honed from doing this for many years. They know what they are doing, and I think that anyone who joins the team simply needs to be open and willing to immerse in the process. The engagement outcomes for everyone will be amazing as always.

Official Entry

I’ve enjoyed being on this forum so much and believe that you get out what you put in. So it will be simple formula for how to engage:

#1 I’m going to have a blast.... no matter how I play
#2 I’m going to make life long friends
#3 I’m going to do my best to share the experience with everyone
#4 I’m going to give honest reviews about the equipment
#5 I’m going to have a blast doing #1 through #4

Good Luck to Everyone

Entry:

It would be a dream to be chosen to represent Callaway and THP in the Grandaddy. My plan to engage with the community will follow how I engage with them now. I plan to share my experiences through my words and photos. I try to bring this community with me as I play golf, share laughs with fellow THPers, and work to improve my game. I'm not shy from stepping out of my comfort zone to try new things. Even if I'm not the best golfer. I have a better golfer in me. We all share those struggles within ourselves to play better, so I hope my journey with golf is a benefit to others.

I felt that my insights, as a high capper, stepping up to players irons (Hogan PTxPro) helped the readers here to understand that even a hacker like me can take part in the THP experiences, and benefit from pushing themselves with golf. Throughout the past 5 months, I've used my shot tracking data to highlight how my golf game has changed by using that equipment.

Every day I'm around THP and this community, my passion for and enjoyment from golf continues to grow. If I were chosen to take part in the Grandaddy, I know that would continue to be the case, but I hope that though my words, photos, and feedback that I could help instill that passion for the game, THP, and Callaway in others.

My Engagement (Entry)

THP Experiences such like the GrandDaddy, and the support from OEM's to sponsor them serve among other reasons, a couple of main purposes:
1) To showcase the products available, and what they can offer the golfer... and
2) To build brand loyalty and awareness through developing intimate relationships, offering direct product experiences, and investing in the "trickle-down" effect of having enthusiastic customers using equipment and talking about it with others in their golf circles.

Speaking to 1) above, I love learning and talking about equipment, not just the types I tend to play, but across the entire spectrum. I love trying new things and enjoy discussing what technology might benefit a particular golfer's needs. I think its important to keep an open mind to new tech, and try to do a good job understanding and relating to how it works for its target audience. I do a lot of detailed reviews of my on-course equipment experiences combined with launch data, because I feel this presents a well rounded discussion of how equipment works over several months.

Just as important as what you relate, is how you relate to others. I think this speaks to 2) above. By engaging with my fellow forum members here on THP (as well as my golf cirlces outside THP), I am looking to bring a positive, welcoming, and encouraging attitude to everyone. My local group are novice golfers from work - I really enjoy going out with them and marveling with them at the learning process of the game. To see their smiles when they finally hit the green on that tough Par-4. The chase of that one great shot.... the discussion of how new irons can make a huge difference over their crusty 25y.o. clubs. People come alive when they enjoy their hobbies and are learning. On course, it is especially important to be more invested in the enjoyment of others around you, than interested in your own score. Life is too short not to encourage and lift up others.

Combining the two, my engagement in golf centers on a positive attitude, being inclusive, and reaching out to other to create opportunities for a good time. On the forum and on course, part of this means keeping things positive and encouraging. One of the great things about THP is that so many folks are simply kind people. The other part is really diving into the technical discussion and how a piece helps or hurts your game, and a way that is relatable and fun to read (or hear). And the last part, don't be afraid to have fun. For most of us, golf is a favorite hobby and our golf buddies are some of our favorite people in life. Treat your buddies like you would like to be treated... be the kind of person the people want to spend time with. I love it when each golf outing is better than the last. And the older I get, the easier it is to keep fun front and center. Most valuable lesson I ever learned in golf and life - the power of good relationships and the care and feeding that go into them.

My entry.

Wow, what a great trip and a great opportunity! THP continually awards trips, equipment and experiences unmatched by any other forum....bar none.

Being selected to be part of this tremendous opportunity would be the highlight of my golfing career. From arranging travel to selecting equipment would outshine EVERYTHING that preceeded it.

The most fun would be interacting with the other participants, prior participants and other members of THP. Making lifelong friends.

Prior to the event, participation would involve daily posting with questions, answers and suggestions. Tapping the brains and experience of the experts of THP would make me able to maximize this experience.

After the event, there would be even more daily posting to review the equipment and the experience. And of course, to keep up with all my new friends.

This is a life changing opportunity. It is extremely rare. Members are going to have the experience of their lifetime. Good luck everyone.

Some really great responses in here. Not that I expected anything different. Good luck all!

Official Entry...

I'll engage with the THP Community by beating Jason Finley like he stole something all over the Hideaway. I'll answer questions about what happened on that day and how I used his own equipment to do it. I'll take pictures, shake hands, and kiss babies, even during these Covid times. I'll get revenge on the Dark Lord, who destroyed my brother on those hollowed grounds, they will speak of that day for years to come, the people of THP and the Hideaway will erect a statue in my honor and there will be a holiday celebrating what I did to Finley that day. And after I do all of that, I don't know how much more engagement than Freedom I can provide!

Official Entry...

I'll engage with the THP Community by beating Jason Finley like he stole something all over the Hideaway. I'll answer questions about what happened on that day and how I used his own equipment to do it. I'll take pictures, shake hands, and kiss babies, even during these Covid times. I'll get revenge on the Dark Lord, who destroyed my brother on those hollowed grounds, they will speak of that day for years to come, the people of THP and the Hideaway will erect a statue in my honor and there will be a holiday celebrating what I did to Finley that day. And after I do all of that, I don't know how much more engagement than Freedom I can provide!
0C2B6E2F-133B-4153-AC7E-08F4C67A21C5.gif

I am reading all these incredible entries and don't even feel worthy of making an attempt because for me, I can't even fathom what this would all entail.

I guess I'd probably make a thread where all the forum members can offer advice on what my club setup should be as I've never been fitted for clubs.

On the course, I guess I could try something like an instagram follow. Hole by hole in a practice round. Problem is I would probably get so wrapped up in meeting, talking and golfing I'd forget half of what I was planning on doing. Lol.

After event, maybe a zoom type on-line meeting where I could answer questions, offer my perspective on what the event actually was in comparison to what I anticipated it too be.

Like I said, I have no idea actually what I would do. Would sure be fun to experience and share.

BTW, if I have a contest for picking what hole I worm burn a T shot, my money would be one of the first three!

So i am on the fence about submitting an entry regarding engagement since my engagement has been less than stellar over the winter but even if it's pushed to the side I am going to put it out there.

I want to begin much like others have in creating a a thread starting where my game is "or really isnt" today and the journey of getting ready throughout the year to start. Discussions about rounds of golf, pictures and some videos even if its rolling some putts to show the progession of my game hopefully showing improvement through the year and quite possibly some losing weight to go along with it wouldn't hurt either. I think the golf improvement would be easier than the weight to be honest.

Having read through multiple Grandaddy threads over the years and being how I found my way to this awesome community I would engage previous years Grandaddy members, other Grandaddy hopefuls along with my team to try and capture and convey my thoughts honestly, and thouroughly. Often it's difficult for me to get thoughts into words from my brain so pre-during-post event I would love to utilize videos for Q&A about golf, food, life, whatever direction the wind is blowing in an effort to try and be as in depth and personal as I can be with anyone and everyone. It's the only way I know how to try and let everyone know more about me and the game.

From reading previous years I know once the event kicks off it gets crazy and impossible to video with everything that goes on, but I would do my best to capture all the moments I can getting to questions and answers from and to the community because it's not only about the ones selected to go, it's about everyone. And let's all be honest, some in depth food reviews wouldn't hurt either!

Cheers THP

This was an awesome thread....Good Luck to everyone

official entry:

If chosen, prior to the event, I will engage on the forum to seek advice from past participants on what to expect and from THPers that have experience with Callaway clubs to aid in my selection process.
I will also post updates on the forum about my on course preparation for the event. Since I am a Physical Therapist, I would also like to share some of the mobility drills and strength exercises that I do to improve my golf game, that I feel others could also benefit from. I would also make videos for Instagram for others to refer back to if they would like to see video of some exercises.
At the event, I would try to take as much video of the club fitting process, on course event, and off course activity, and share with others via the forum, instagram posts, instagram stories and reels, and possible youtube as well for longer videos. Instagram would also be utilized to help spread the word about THP, promote event hosts, sponsors, and St Jude Children’s Reasearch hospital that the Albatross Club contributes to.
I appreciate the opportunity that THP is giving us with this awesome event. 🤞🏽🤞🏽

Well done everyone!! Damn good responses in here! Exciting times ahead with more contests to follow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back