The evening before a round of golf

As one poster mentioned, I mentally play a few holes each night to fall asleep. Mentally going through the ideal setup and swing for each shot. Pick up where I left off the next night and when I finish one course, move on to the next. Been doing it for quite a few years...works like a charm as I usually don't get more than 3-4 holes in then zzzzzzzzzzz!

As one poster mentioned, I mentally play a few holes each night to fall asleep. Mentally going through the ideal setup and swing for each shot. Pick up where I left off the next night and when I finish one course, move on to the next. Been doing it for quite a few years...works like a charm as I usually don't get more than 3-4 holes in then zzzzzzzzzzz!

Helps me to fall asleep doing that too

The only time I do that is before a tournament. Otherwise I don’t think too much about it. But I also play at least 9 holes almost every day.

I get excited and start prepping. I usually like to clean my clubs the night before. I always have drama of shooting a really good score and I can visualize hitting really good shots but it typically doesn’t happen haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading through, saw something interesting... Lower handicap players don't really think about it too much (maybe from playing so often?). Higher cap players seem to get excited and giddy lol. I'm somewhere in between, depends where I am playing I guess. But I will check out the course on SwingXSwing if it's a new one.

I wonder if some of the “giddy” guys maybe don’t play golf all that often. If I played 10 times a year instead of several times a week maybe each round would be more of a special occasion.

I just make sure I have my bag ready and the way I want it. I worry about other things when I get to the course.

The night before I'll decide what shirt and shorts I am going to wear, get my snacks ready, make any adjustments to which clubs I am going to carry and if I wake up in the middle of the night I will often try to decide on a swing thought that I think I need to focus on the next day. I admit, I am a golfaholic and suffer from OCD! :act-up:

At this very moment it's the evening before my round of golf tomorrow morning and already I am mentally reminding myself of the things I need to remember in order to produce good shots. It's sort of like a check list of do's and don'ts. Does anyone besides me go through this sort of exercise the evening before a round of golf?

before a tournament, yes.....

but a round, no...I play too frequently to do that, would get no sleep!! :)

I wonder if some of the “giddy” guys maybe don’t play golf all that often. If I played 10 times a year instead of several times a week maybe each round would be more of a special occasion.

I'm def one of those lol, only play about twice a month. Hard not to let swing thoughts through your head the night before and try to shoot your best

I currently play once a week. Two years ago I was playing twice a week and sometimes 3 times a week. When I was playing more often I got to a point where I almost got tired of playing golf. It was at that time that I decided that there is more to life than golf, as much as I enjoy playing the game. Now that I'm only playing once a week, I'm enjoying it more than when I was playing golf more frequently.

Last edited:
Reading through, saw something interesting... Lower handicap players don't really think about it too much (maybe from playing so often?). Higher cap players seem to get excited and giddy lol. I'm somewhere in between, depends where I am playing I guess. But I will check out the course on SwingXSwing if it's a new one.

For me I play a ton so it doesn't matter. Half the time I don't even know if I am golfing the next day. Now tournament where I might play 10 tournament rounds in a year I spend time the night before looking at aerials of course.

Back