The Finishing Hole

Finishing hole should be challenging or interest in some way. Some trouble always adds a dynamic that is fun in competition. An example of a really good course with a disappointing finishing hole is Cape Fear National. It's a great layout, but the last hole is a straight away par 3, and the course deserves a better finish than that. I believe they actually flipped the 9s, but since both 9s end in a par 3, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Closing holes matter, but I don't think it has to do with skill required. As long as it's not too crazy I think the closing hole can make a difference. We have a course around here, which in fairness it's not that great of a course to begin with, but it's a really harsh dogleg that is kind of gimmicky IMO. It doesn't have much to take away from since the rest of the course isn't anything special, but it is kind of a poor finishing hole and leaves a worse view of the course than it could have.

I was looking at some cool places for a competition of sorts and one of them had a super weak 18th hole. It reminded me of a course locally that is fantastic and then the finishing hole was a throw away par 4 with no trouble, nothing extraordinary and really nothing to it at all...Speaking comparatively to the rest of the course.

Does the finishing hole matter to you? Should it be the hole that puts the cap on the round to make it memorable?
I think it should either create elation or devastation. It should define the round.

Guess I've never really put much thought into it. The few courses that I play most often vary from a really simple par 4, to a difficult par 5. Don't think I put much stock into the 18th over the rest of the course, if I find it to be fun and challenging.

The 18th should be memorable in my opinion. Doesn't have to be super hard, but have something that stands out to leave an impression on you.

My home course I would flip the routing as 9 is a much more substantial hole than 18 as it currently sets up. I also think 10 is better starting hole than #1 but that is a different discussion.

I love a risk/reward par 5 finishing hole

18th should be memorable but more than memorable I think it should be a risk/reward hole..... able to make birdie with a couple great shots or make a big number if you don't

I think both the 9th and 18th should be strong holes. They don't have to be the hardest but need to be visually appealing and be a test of skill and mental toughness. I don't want to finish with a weak hole or that's what I'll remember when thinking about the round.

im not sure IT has to be the most memorable part of the round but it should be forgettable either. My home course is Fox Meadows CC and i absolutely adore our finishing hole.
Par 5 that plays long if your left and short of your right hugging the lake. Could have a 2-3-4 club difference in to the green or laying up depending on hour angle. Here’s an overhead of it.

D36E3B3B-2CC8-4272-8156-C8118012F9AD.jpeg

I love it when the 18th hole is a solid risk/reward par 5. A great chance for a last minute birdie (or eagle) but also possible to throw your round away entirely. The 18th hole at Northview Ridge course is probably the best finishing hole I've ever played.

If this type of hole isn't possible I think a beast of a par 4 is next best.

I was looking at some cool places for a competition of sorts and one of them had a super weak 18th hole. It reminded me of a course locally that is fantastic and then the finishing hole was a throw away par 4 with no trouble, nothing extraordinary and really nothing to it at all...Speaking comparatively to the rest of the course.

Does the finishing hole matter to you? Should it be the hole that puts the cap on the round to make it memorable?

I prefer the finishing hole to be one of the more challenging.

One of my favorite courses has risk-reward holes on 9 and 18 and I love it.

I appreciate a good finishing hole and would rather have that than some easy forgettable one.

I don't mind if the hole is difficult, but I am not a fan of a par 3 to finish

My home course is a relatively short par 4, but it has OB all up the right side and behind the green. The hole is slightly uphill and you need to land your tee shot on the left side of the fairway otherwise it will kick right towards the rough. Approach is crucial as there is a bunker protecting the front right of the green and if you go too long there is a good chance your ball could roll off the back of the green as it slopes away from you
Also, if you are on the right hand side of the fairway you will likely not be able to see the base of the pin due to the bunker

The hole looks simple enough from the tee but when the wind is off the left (which it usually is) it makes the tee shot one of the most important ones in the round

Finishing hole should be a fair test of golf, and leave you wanting to head back to the #1 tee. Not beat you down and send you to the car.

I like a reachable par 5 for 18. I hate par 3's for 18.

This for sure. I could care less to be honest. But if I had to choose, I would like to finish on an easy hole. Par 5's are decent way to finish since I might have a chance for recovery. Because by that time, I'm beaten up and pretty much done at that point. (y) Thinking about the 19th hole :drinks:

My favorite course on the island punctuates the round with a good finishing hole. Definitely helps to make the course more memorable. Have had the chance to play it with a couple THPers.

The course has generous fairways but if you miss you’re absolutely dead. 18 has water left and native area, palm trees and beach running the entire right side. The excellent clubhouse overlooks it.

I like to finish on a hole that brings a lot of potential numbers into play. A par 5 (maybe par 4) with a reasonable route for the safe par/bogey if so chosen, but also an opportunity to play two great (but dangerous) shots and go low (or crash and burn).

This is an overhead of my home course 18th - par 4 320yds

Dinsdale - 18th.JPG

The tees are at the bottom of the picture under the shadow of the trees and the arrows show the slope of the fairway (and that is also the usual direction of the wind). You have the OB to the right of the hole and the path round the back of the green is OB as well so if you go too long you are in trouble
There is an area circled on the left side of the hole that is flatter and if you can hit that spot it will be one of the few areas on this hole that will give you a flat lie, as most of the hole will see the ball below your feet
If you miss the fairway left you will likely have a blind shot to the green and anything landing on the back half of the green is likely to roll off if you don't generate enough spin on the ball

A simple looking hole in theory but you need to hit 2 accurate shots to give you a chance of birdie, otherwise a par is not always the easiest result

I love a finishing hole with a risk/reward opportunity. A par-5 reachable in 2 but with plenty of trouble, or a driveable par-4 is exciting.

Likewise, a finishing stretch of holes like TPC Sawgrass or PGA National have provides plenty of excitement too.

Great 18th holes elevate the course for me but they aren't needed. Something like a scenic Par 5 with the clubhouse elevated behind the green where people can watch.

I request all THP events that are AS or Dormie coming into 18 be paused and the event moved to True Blue's 18th to determine the outcome of the match. Naturally all participants in that event should go so they can sit on the porch and watch the outcome.

Heres a pic of my favorite finishing hole.
It should be a simple birdie for a sub 10 handicap but Ive seen more doubles or worse here than on any other hole. I once carded a 13 here on day 2 of a 36 hole tournament.
0ebf769b10600d2211ac1c15a2314d84.jpg

Back