Yeah I have it in the arsenal, but the execution % of it is pretty spotty so I try to avoid it usually 🤣

I do know this is an old post and I may have already replied to it but I wish I had this shot so badly

I have what i call an Azinger flop which I saw him teach on TV once. You need a grassy lie, pin fairly close by, and not much green to work with. Slide the clubface under the ball like you want the ball to run up the face before it goes forward (it doesn't do that, but try to hit it that way). You get a shot that floats forward with not much spin, doesn't go very far, and stops dead when it lands.

Phil Mickelson and his flop shots are responsible for at least one stroke on my index. I see him do it, I want to hit the same majestic shot, but mostly just send people running for cover. Older, wiser me no longer attempts this shot.

Phil Mickelson and his flop shots are responsible for at least one stroke on my index. I see him do it, I want to hit the same majestic shot, but mostly just send people running for cover. Older, wiser me no longer attempts this shot.

Stop the hinge and hold, and instead let go of all lag.

Stop the hinge and hold, and instead let go of all lag.
That’s a terrifying proposition! It’s definitely something I hope to dedicate some time to work on next season.

That’s a terrifying proposition! It’s definitely something I hope to dedicate some time to work on next season.

Depending on lie, balance more on front foot, cup the wrists for height, letting go of lag will let it come in shallow. I found that I rocket the ball when I use too much arm - I start with hips on backswing, start down with hips on downswing, and get away from ball and get a bit lower to get higher.

It's hard to hit a good flop and even harder to get the correct distance. That being said, it is one of the most satisfying shots to pull off. I remember one where I hit a big push fade off the tee and was just off the tee box of the previous hole. The guys 2 groups behind us (in the same money game though) were giving me grief as they drove off. I opened up the 54* and went over the trees and stuck it to 3 ft. Would have been even better if they hadn't driven off yet. Still felt good collecting their $1 each later as I got the birdie and the skin.:ROFLMAO:

My problem is that I will pull off the flop and then not make the 6 foot putt afterwards to save par.

I only use it when the ball is sitting up in the rough a little, otherwise it's just too low percentage for me.

I do use a high pitch shot a lot, but wouldn't call it a flop.

I practiced this on the range just last week. Haven't been successful on the course with it yet, but there's always a first time.

I used to practice that shot alot in my front yard but found it too unsuccessful in play. If there are no other options or if I really have nothing to lose, I will use it. I never play that shot on tight lies though and have little success from bunkers.

Quite often when the pin is in a position with no green to work with. Mack Daddy 64*

you know the worst part about the flop imo?
Is that I see far too many attempt it when its not even at all the necessary option and other means (in those many cases) would end up the better choice with higher percentage of success.

Still they continue to want to see the ball flop high which fwiw does look kind of cool when it works well. But so does a basic chip or pitch that rolls more also look very cool when they end up near the cups.

I often think to myself...."but why is he flopping this up high when there is nothing to be flopping over nor is it a short pin"
And often enough when a I play with one of the many "no reason floppers" out there , I must say so many times I see blades and chunks vs the actual good ones.
But to be fair i see many people blade and chunk regular chips and pitches too. But although bad they wont be quite as bad as the flop fail.

But hey,....some smaller percentage of folks are actually pretty good at it even when its not necessary.

This is a great shot when you can pull it off but you need to show respect for your lie unless you want it to end poorly.

Yes, will execute it when the situation warrants it.

This is a great shot when you can pull it off but you need to show respect for your lie unless you want it to end poorly.
But isnt any shot you pull off the way you planned a great shot? And isnt the flop "when not needed" a risk?

I mean so 3 players standing 5 yrds off the left front and hiting to a middle pin 15 yrds into the green (20-ish yrds total). One guy chips and rolls furthest to a couple feet. Another player pitches half way more or less and rolls about the other half to a couple feet. The 3rd guy flops it high and soft and ends up at a couple feet.
Are not they all a great shot? And if each was hit 50 times each....which one would likely have the highest success ratio?

But isnt any shot you pull off the way you planned a great shot? And isnt the flop "when not needed" a risk?

I mean so 3 players standing 5 yrds off the left front and hiting to a middle pin 15 yrds into the green (20-ish yrds total). One guy chips and rolls furthest to a couple feet. Another player pitches half way more or less and rolls about the other half to a couple feet. The 3rd guy flops it high and soft and ends up at a couple feet.
Are not they all a great shot? And if each was hit 50 times each....which one would likely have the highest success ratio?

It’s a great shot to play when you need to is what I should have said.

we all know then end result is not always indicative of what was attempted.

I have it and use it, but not often. I have a 'high' chip that I use once to twice a round but full flop is a once a month deal. I did perfectly execute one 2 rounds ago when I was already out of a hole and my playing partner unknowingly parked his cart between me and the green. He saw me addressing the ball and almost ran over to move the cart, but stopped and watched a elegant flop that would have made Phil blush :sneaky:. Of course I made the one put for my double bogy.

Now that I went from a 60* wedge to 58* I'm wondering how much more difficult it will be too pull off. I'll still give it a try pretty often I'm sure.

Now that I went from a 60* wedge to 58* I'm wondering how much more difficult it will be too pull off. I'll still give it a try pretty often I'm sure.

You will be fine. Open up the face a little more; or get hands lower, or both. I find a 58 more useful around the greens.

Reactions: KEV
My flop weapon is currently a 58°\08 bounce T20 and works as well my 60° did. YMMV 😎

Back