The Golf Ramble Thread

In a weird place right now. Spent the weekend in Whistler with the family surrounded by world class golf courses and didn't even try to get out, didn't even try to hit balls, no attempt to roll putts or even mini-golf. It's been a long time since I've lost the fire, but lately I'd rather have a good day at work than another day on the course where I lose 4 balls and slap-tickle my way to another boring 83.
They say it just takes one pure shot to get you back, but I'm not sure I'll ever hit another one pure again haha.
It'll happen again. I definitely was feeling the same way, just discouraged to the point of completely giving up.

Went out just to get out, hoped to hit a good ball or two, and the goal was "make one par"..... I shot an 83. Played hesitant/guarded golf, but still was reasonably happy.

Time heals. Purity will return.

Was crazy busy for a Thursday. Had around 320 golfers play today.

When I played on Saturday, I had gone out by myself, but caught up to a 3-ball in front of me after 6 holes, so hit a few chips and putts on the next couple holes as I thought they were only playing 9 holes based on who they were (2 older lady members and 1 man who I knew by sight but not name), and they were being held up by 2 visitors in front of them

However, when I headed across the road to our 9th hole they were still on the tee with the ladies having just hit their tee shots, then the guy hit his, apologised to me about the delay and asked if I wanted to join them - I said I was only out for a bit of practice as I had a free day, so joined up with them for the rest of the round and we had a good laugh

One of the ladies, the older of the two I would say, might not hit the ball very far, but she was pretty much automatic in terms of direction, to the point that when she eventually hit a bad shot a few holes later, I joked asking what she was playing at :LOL:
She completely took it in the manner it was intended and promptly hit the next shot arrow straight back down the fairway

10th hole, a short par 4 (255yds or so), she hit a straight tee shot, second shot just short of the green, chipped on and rolled the putt in for a par

It just goes to show that people can still enjoy a round together regardless of age, gender or ability, and is something I really like about my club - we have a professional footballer as a member and he is just one of the lads when out on the course, and Jen was telling me yesterday that we have nearly another dozen new 'get into golf' members that have taken up playing

When I played on Saturday, I had gone out by myself, but caught up to a 3-ball in front of me after 6 holes, so hit a few chips and putts on the next couple holes as I thought they were only playing 9 holes based on who they were (2 older lady members and 1 man who I knew by sight but not name), and they were being held up by 2 visitors in front of them

However, when I headed across the road to our 9th hole they were still on the tee with the ladies having just hit their tee shots, then the guy hit his, apologised to me about the delay and asked if I wanted to join them - I said I was only out for a bit of practice as I had a free day, so joined up with them for the rest of the round and we had a good laugh

One of the ladies, the older of the two I would say, might not hit the ball very far, but she was pretty much automatic in terms of direction, to the point that when she eventually hit a bad shot a few holes later, I joked asking what she was playing at :LOL:
She completely took it in the manner it was intended and promptly hit the next shot arrow straight back down the fairway

10th hole, a short par 4 (255yds or so), she hit a straight tee shot, second shot just short of the green, chipped on and rolled the putt in for a par

It just goes to show that people can still enjoy a round together regardless of age, gender or ability, and is something I really like about my club - we have a professional footballer as a member and he is just one of the lads when out on the course, and Jen was telling me yesterday that we have nearly another dozen new 'get into golf' members that have taken up playing

I had the privilege of playing 9 holes yesterday with a member at my club who was 90 years old. Although he didn't hit the ball far, he played ready golf, nearly every shot was in play and he could still get the ball airborne. He also had a decent short game.

I'm wondering if I may have figured something out last night. On the range I was struggling with consistency and I could tell I was getting quick on my transition. I started making myself pause briefly before I start my downswing and I instantly had better results.

I got on the course for league and went back to my usual swing and was again quick. After doubling a par 5 because of horrible strikes I forced myself to make that brief pause and started hitting it so much better. I ended up shooting my second lowest 9 hole score this season. Man I hope the fix is that simple.

So I bought a set of Epic Forged Star irons from CPO as “Outlet” So brand new. I’ve been hitting them in the dome and I’ve been pounding the PW and 9i. Been really struggling with the 7i. Can’t seem to get the gap distance I’m expecting. So today, I went to drop of a little Christmas gift to my Club Champion fitter and asked him to check the lie and lofts on the 7,8 & 9 irons. Turns out the 7i was completely out of wack. Too flat and loft was too weak. So he checked and adjusted all of them. Excuse eliminated.

Sometimes it is the Arrows and not the person behind the Bow.

Not sure why I didn't buy this on the spot. It was the second time I've hit this exact combo and it's just magical for me. Verging on the most confidence I've ever had with a driver in my hands. Ignore the shot being offline. I was aiming down the right side hitting a little push draw and this one didn't draw. The shot after this ended up 3 feet from the pin.

Cobra RAD Speed XB 10.5 turned down 1* with RDX Blue 6.0 hitting a Chromsoft. I didn't have a wrench but I think standard loft and a harder ball would have been perfect.

20211220_123505.jpg

Went to the range the other day with my Epic Flash Tour Certified Driver.
Can't believe I much further I fit over the Rogue ST Max.
For what it's worth to this site, I'll ALWAYS buy a year or two old Tour Certified Driver going forward.
I'm just finding means so much to have the head "Certified"

I can't put together a good round of golf to save my life right now and it's so frustrating.
I'm hitting the ball so well of the tee and just can't string more than a couple of holes together before the wheels come off the bus.

So I've come to an epiphany!!!

I put in a new set of Mizuno Iron and wedges in my bag last last year (in the winter).
I'm now play my best golf with these clubs.
My epiphany is that it take some time to get used to a set of clubs (At least for me) and I need not to change them out next year. (Sorry THP)
I need to really commit myself to these set of irons and wedges to really get the most out them.
Here are 4 irons in my set from Jan to July 18th - Performance Average
1691414118825.png
Wedges:
1691415320940.png

Performance average from July 18th to August 7th:
1691414165864.png
Wedges:

1691415358931.png

I have to be more patient with my clubs and let my and the clubs find a happy "Medium"

It has come upon me this morning that I'm at that rare moment in a golf season where I'm in the "Zone"
I'm striking the ball so well, so crisp recently that there is no real explanation for it.
Played so good (for me) on Saturday and play 18 in the Sim yesterday.
It's amazing how life is more "tolerable" when your hitting the ball well.

Just killing me that season is ending.
Gotta hit the dome and practice bays at PGATSS to keep the "Mo'" going.

Back