The Home Renovation Thread

Spend more time prepping the cabinets than you really want to. The finished product is completely dependent on the amount of effort you put in before the first drop of paint hits them. Also, you'll hate it and vow to never paint cabinets again.
Haha oddly enough wife found this blog that endorses a milk paint where you don't have to sand before, just use a deglosser. Strange, but may sand a little in case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Full weekend of putting in and securing all the cabintry. Also finally got to mount the TV (which needed to be seen easily while we cook) so we could watch some March Madness while we worked. Still tons to do. Putting down hardibacker today and then we can get going on the kitchen floors and get someone out to give us some bids on countertops. While we wait we will probably install the crown molding which will be the same throughout the entire 'great' room. It's been tough but man it makes you feel good when you can finally see it come to life.

lEmgwYG.jpg

5LyOX1X.jpg

nTlQWq2.jpg

Looks awesome!!!

Haha oddly enough wife found this blog that endorses a milk paint where you don't have to sand before, just use a deglosser. Strange, but may sand a little in case.

My wife wants to join the painting/staining the cabinets crew. where did you find the best instructions?

I used a rotary sander with a 320 grit disk.

I will allow you to be the test subject. Please report back with results. It seems like when we take on a project it's always a mess.
Yes I don't anticipate this going smoothly haha will let ya know. And of course she wants to do all projects right away, so this painting and then have the floors sanded and stained are first up.. after buying some appliances ugghhh

Yes I don't anticipate this going smoothly haha will let ya know. And of course she wants to do all projects right away, so this painting and then have the floors sanded and stained are first up.. after buying some appliances ugghhh

We bought our house not too long ago and I understand. It was washer/dryer since the person who bought our old place wanted ours. Then fridge and dishwasher to match the stove and microwave, then wood floors in the living room, now cabinets we also planted a garden in the back yard with 2 fruit trees and mulch and flowers in the front. Never ending.

Any recommendations for a good gas boiler? Or warnings about bad ones? We have a 50 y/o unit in our family that is on its last legs. Doesn't have to be bleeding edge but I would like to get the most efficiency I can for the buck.

Wife started the cabinet painting. We used a product that was a liquid sander and deglosser and are using Valspar cabinet paint, and it hasn't been that bad. Still have some more work to do but it looks a ton better than the previous finish. I will say I think the milk paint would have been a better idea/use than the Valspar because from her blog I understand what she is talking about with the "tacky" nature of latex paint. Maybe in a year or so we can use the milk paint over the latex.

Redoing a half bath, and pulled out the sink. Measured the space and it's roughly 36" from wall to wall (actually, the sink measures 35 7/8" at the back and 36 1/4" at the front ... because the jackhole who did this work cut one end off the sink to accomodate whoever did the wall and didn't square it up; at any rate traditional bathroom vanities come in at 31" or 37"). So, I need a custom piece (or I need to buy a 37" sink and cut ~1/2" off from each end with a diamond blade and a circular saw ... whoever built this house can get tertiary syphllis for all I care). My other option was a vessel sink, but I need a solid slab of ... something. A quote for a granite top was $350. Looked into butcher block, but have to buy them in 6 to 8 foot sections and the cheapest was $270.

Can anyone recommend a route to take? I'm running out of ideas, and I just don't feel like dropping over $600 for a half bath sink (by the time you add in the counter top, faucet, and sink). Or should I just cut a run of the mill "cultured marble" sink? They make it seem easy cutting those on YouTube videos. I'd go this route if it were just a plain old white sink (they run around $100) but my wife didn't want plain white (even though the bathroom is two shades of grey, black, and white), so a sink will run me around $270 ... which is a hefty price for me to f**k up.

I swear, one day I will have a home project that isn't a pain in my arse. It just isn't today.

Redoing a half bath, and pulled out the sink. Measured the space and it's roughly 36" from wall to wall (actually, the sink measures 35 7/8" at the back and 36 1/4" at the front ... because the jackhole who did this work cut one end off the sink to accomodate whoever did the wall and didn't square it up; at any rate traditional bathroom vanities come in at 31" or 37"). So, I need a custom piece (or I need to buy a 37" sink and cut ~1/2" off from each end with a diamond blade and a circular saw ... whoever built this house can get tertiary syphllis for all I care). My other option was a vessel sink, but I need a solid slab of ... something. A quote for a granite top was $350. Looked into butcher block, but have to buy them in 6 to 8 foot sections and the cheapest was $270.

Can anyone recommend a route to take? I'm running out of ideas, and I just don't feel like dropping over $600 for a half bath sink (by the time you add in the counter top, faucet, and sink). Or should I just cut a run of the mill "cultured marble" sink? They make it seem easy cutting those on YouTube videos. I'd go this route if it were just a plain old white sink (they run around $100) but my wife didn't want plain white (even though the bathroom is two shades of grey, black, and white), so a sink will run me around $270 ... which is a hefty price for me to f**k up.

I swear, one day I will have a home project that isn't a pain in my arse. It just isn't today.

For a 36" piece of granite can you not ask them for a remnant piece? I mean that's almost exactly the size of cutout for a farm sink shouldn't be more than 50-60 bucks for a left over sink cutout and have them shape it. Also could just do wood on top of the cabinet and then like 3 12x12 granite or slate tiles...not the best but it works.

Any recommendations for a good gas boiler? Or warnings about bad ones? We have a 50 y/o unit in our family that is on its last legs. Doesn't have to be bleeding edge but I would like to get the most efficiency I can for the buck.

Lochinvar is a very good boiler. I use them in commercial applications a lot and I know they make a good residential line as well. Weil-McLain is a good one too.

For a 36" piece of granite can you not ask them for a remnant piece? I mean that's almost exactly the size of cutout for a farm sink shouldn't be more than 50-60 bucks for a left over sink cutout and have them shape it. Also could just do wood on top of the cabinet and then like 3 12x12 granite or slate tiles...not the best but it works.
I did, and they said no to the remnant. I think I might go concrete.

I did, and they said no to the remnant. I think I might go concrete.

Epoxy is another cool option. Seriously though someone who does counter tops has to have remnant marble, granite, Corian, soapstone, or something for cheap. Here in Charlotte in my old place I found a 37 inch remnant from a place and they polished and shaped it as long as I took it and installed it myself for like 75 bucks. It was a farm sink cutout.

Epoxy is another cool option. Seriously though someone who does counter tops has to have remnant marble, granite, Corian, soapstone, or something for cheap. Here in Charlotte in my old place I found a 37 inch remnant from a place and they polished and shaped it as long as I took it and installed it myself for like 75 bucks. It was a farm sink cutout.
I'll look around. Maybe I'll go to Columbia or MB.

About to pull out our kitchen that’s probably been in the house since it was built in the 50’s, and letting up the tile floor we have for some laminate. The first time we’ve really pumped any money into the place, so looking forward to seeing what difference it makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About to pull out our kitchen that’s probably been in the house since it was built in the 50’s, and letting up the tile floor we have for some laminate. The first time we’ve really pumped any money into the place, so looking forward to seeing what difference it makes.

Be careful if you have old laminate it could have asbestos.

The Home Renovation Thread

My wife bought some stair runner for me to install last month and I’ve been putting it off. I woke up to rain so I decided to get it done today to free me up for golf Friday and Saturday. The range opens tomorrow so I’m fired up for the season to get going!!

97acfc1b6303139d8f8e9feafcd58522.jpg

4b34eec08d2bae167042c74f3b7ca813.jpg

9c39a4727f9bedb39cc14eca886f9539.jpg

b4b6e544b5e999a88829b7ec9463ca48.jpg

f775b28efd874a2ba0dec40ae4115e68.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful if you have old laminate it could have asbestos.

The old flooring is tile. That’s getting replaced by laminate so we should be ok. Thanks for the warning though.

The old flooring is tile. That’s getting replaced by laminate so we should be ok. Thanks for the warning though.

Got it, I was going the other way.

Im researching a gas pressure washer for some summer cleaning projects. Leaning towards a Simpson brand commercial grade with Honda motor and Triplex pump.

Any others i should consider?

Fence people were able to get us in today instead of next week, super happy and the pups loves the yard!
fd8c467da4d7df32164fd0a5f008c3e8.jpg

a1973140fb26ec2244b3f2c9d41d6837.jpg

499cdea49cb9832fc0027e5182f3a68b.jpg

Before and after sink hardware
11c74cf6eb859b21c62722ce5412bb71.jpg

60f2c9a79359c7c1a1c41e73bbc05440.jpg

And new fridge/freezer has the essentials
e46871994f4dca957575ce0b0ba46454.jpg

Before and after front door locks .. wife also wants to paint it black
e9e5ea0bdb9519765fa9128d078c18ee.jpg
926b25a23cacf31f2c9c0e422dec5fb7.jpg
604ee75116da8c6bc7ff1030f52ded68.jpg

Couple months ago we've been doing the same, because the wood parts of the kitchen became ... crumbling already. And during my renovation process - the maybe one of the hardest things I've made is to change and think about what kind of bulb should I get for my kitchen, because in all other rooms I have different types of it. But when I've read a good article (https://cozyhousetoday.com/t5-vs-t8-vs-t12-bulbs/) - it became much easier to decide.

Last edited:
Back