The insanity of Callaway and their weights - 4 clubs, 4 differetn weight designs.

andrevdp

Reaction score
Handicap
Scratch
Now that I own a complete set of 2015 Callaway clubs that have adjustable weights (excl. putters), I can't but shake my head at Callaways insanity.

Each club has a specific type of weight (shape and design) such that you can't interchange them....

From left to right in the pic.....The smallest weight goes into the Apex UT. The next biggest goes into the 815 hybrids - it is similar in shape to the Apex UT weight but bigger. The 815 Fairways have weights that are a totally different shape (flat) and size from any of the others. The Alpha 815 driver weight is the biggest and probably the same as the other Opti-fit driver weights (BB Alpha etc.)

Insane!

Callaway_weights_clockwise.jpg

maybe they are just designed that way to optimize weight placement and performances?

At least they all use the same wrench, right?

They must be designed specifically for each club, and were obviously never intended to be adjustable (as opposed to the Taylormade, Adams, Srixon weight systems) apart from the driver (or just swapping the two weights around in the fairways). Callaway have not released any additional weights for the UT, Hybrids or FW's and according to my sources have no intention of doing so. They do all use the same wrench though.

I guess this is both good and bad - good from the sense that you get the best type of weight for each type of club. Bad in that that aren't really adjustable weights apart from the Driver. Sucks for those of us who like to play around with shafts and swingweights.....

They must be designed specifically for each club, and were obviously never intended to be adjustable (as opposed to the Taylormade, Adams, Srixon weight systems) apart from the driver (or just swapping the two weights around in the fairways). Callaway have not released any additional weights for the UT, Hybrids or FW's and according to my sources have no intention of doing so. They do all use the same wrench though.

I guess this is both good and bad - good from the sense that you get the best type of weight for each type of club. Bad in that that aren't really adjustable weights apart from the Driver. Sucks for those of us who like to play around with shafts and swingweights.....

So how many other company have fairway woods, hybrids, and UTs out there with removable weights? Do you think this is just a small overreaction? While it would be a bonus, the Apex UT couldn't have the same weights as the driver, etc.

While I think having all the weights match and be interchangeable would be nice, that would be more of a bonus than anything.
Different clubs with different shapes meant to accomplish different things have different weights. Not too surprising IMO.

I'm also pretty sure the developmental time lines of various clubs were probably vastly different. This probably affected sources of supply and maybe even the type of weight. One may not have even been dreamed up or designed prior to another. To me though, it's most likely something as simple as they designed what would work for that type of club, without worrying about anything else.

Pretty good idea and philosophy in my book.

JM

Absolutely it's an over reaction, but hyperbole is always a good thing :) I guess I am used to the way Taylormade used to do it with their adjustable weights where you could take any weight from any of their adjustable clubs (driver, fw, rescue, putter) and use it in any of the other clubs. That set the benchmark on adjustability.

The Srixon range allows you to interchange weights between drivers and fw, and the same weights fit the Cleveland range (no surprise given Srixon owns Cleveland). Bridgestone weights are interchangeable across the new J715 driver, fw and hybrid.

Absolutely it's an over reaction, but hyperbole is always a good thing :) I guess I am used to the way Taylormade used to do it with their adjustable weights where you could take any weight from any of their adjustable clubs (driver, fw, rescue, putter) and use it in any of the other clubs. That set the benchmark on adjustability.

The Srixon range allows you to interchange weights between drivers and fw, and the same weights fit the Cleveland range (no surprise given Srixon owns Cleveland). Bridgestone weights are interchangeable across the new J715 driver, fw and hybrid.

Right, and technically, the Callaway weights aren't designed to be adjustable to the consumer on the UT and Hybrid while the fairway has a 30g weight too. Guess I didn't know that Taylormade had universal weights across their entire line, I have not noticed that recently.

Will the 30g weight from the 815 fairway not fit the driver? I was hoping to swap one out to increase the SW.

Will the 30g weight from the 815 fairway not fit the driver? I was hoping to swap one out to increase the SW.

That's be a huge jump in SW, like massive. And no, it won't fit in the driver I believe.

No.

Your best bet is to go on Ebay and get a set that has 10 - 15gr weights. That's what I did.

About the Fairways

There is a reason behind using a different weight configuration between the driver series (BBA 815) vs BBA 815 Fairway series.

I spoke with a Callaway official about this. I was perturbed initially with the different weights used because I like to tinker but the reasoning is valid for this.

They realised the claimed results and intent of the club adjustability (weight swapping) worked with that combo. 30gr + 3gr. Switching the two makes the flight change.

If the average consumer started tinkering with that combo and introduced a different weight combination the claimed intent of the club wouldn't be achieved. This would not sit well with their marketing either once people started claiming the approach/design is flawed without saying they replaced the weights.

About the BBA 815 Hybrid & Apex UT

The optifit weighting system was introduced as far back as the RAZR FIT. That systems weighting footprint is much bigger than what the BBA 815 Hybrid & UT can accommodate that followed well after by a few years. Thus that's why you have a different weight system for those clubs also.

The reason for using the 30g weight would be because I would like to use a shorter driver without using lead tape. On my BB 2014, I currently swapped out the 5g stock weight with a 15g off ebay. With the shaft cut 1 inch, the SW comes back to a D2. I was thinking of going cutting another inch and going 43.5 inches, a 30g would be pretty much spot on, since 1 inch cut is 6 SW points equalized by 12 grams to the head.

The reason for using the 30g weight would be because I would like to use a shorter driver without using lead tape. On my BB 2014, I currently swapped out the 5g stock weight with a 15g off ebay. With the shaft cut 1 inch, the SW comes back to a D2. I was thinking of going cutting another inch and going 43.5 inches, a 30g would be pretty much spot on, since 1 inch cut is 6 SW points equalized by 12 grams to the head.

You could also use a 30g opti-vibe half way down the shaft to give you 3sw back, that will help get you closer. Usually what I do when I cut the shaft.

The thing that drives me crazy is when Callaway put screw in weights on a driver and then different weights are not available unless you have access to a tour van. I have shorten my drivers so they all have lead tape on the sole because the heavier screw in weights are not available even when you call the company.

The thing that drives me crazy is when Callaway put screw in weights on a driver and then different weights are not available unless you have access to a tour van. I have shorten my drivers so they all have lead tape on the sole because the heavier screw in weights are not available even when you call the company.
Is this problem unique to Callaway? You've got to think about how many people out there would want a 15g weight and what not when many people that bought the 2014 Big Bertha barely touched the sliding weight that was on it already. We are the exception to the masses in that we know (for the most part) what we want and how to get there.

This is something that I have unfortunately seen across the board with manufacturers.

I'm not sure why they want to offer adjustability in the form of different weights only to not include the different weights with the club.

I'll give Callaway credit for offering at least some weights with the BB and 815. But even those options are a little limited.

This is something that I have unfortunately seen across the board with manufacturers.

I'm not sure why they want to offer adjustability in the form of different weights only to not include the different weights with the club.

I'll give Callaway credit for offering at least some weights with the BB and 815. But even those options are a little limited.

I'm probably one of the few that want extra weight in all of my driver heads but I certainly was surprised when I called Callaway, was willing to pay whatever price for them, but won't sell the weights to me. It is encouraging the offer something for the 815 and BB.

Aftermarket weights from the bay is always an option. I ordered a 7 piece weight kit (3g - 15g) for the 815 for under $20. The lighter weights (3, 5) were very soft and basically useless but the remainder of the weights were good. Wasn't too concerned about the 3 and 5 as I already had the OEM weights in those grams that came with my driver. Although I don't have a gram scale, I do have a SW scale and measure the SW with the various weights in the head and they appear weighted properly with what they are branded as.

Imagine the size of the sole of the Apex UT if it had to accomodate the weight that fits the driver.

Is it confirmed that the Optifit weights do fit the 815 driver? I want to play around with more than the 1g and 7g that come with the driver.

Is it confirmed that the Optifit weights do fit the 815 driver? I want to play around with more than the 1g and 7g that come with the driver.

The weight kit that came with my alpha works in the new 815. Lower than that, I've honestly never seen their kit to compare.

Back