The Perfectly Elusive Perfect Burger

Boone

Reaction score
I know there a number of burger threads, but I’m looking for specific expertise

I love me a great burger. I’m a pretty skilled cook, especially when it comes to the grill and smoker. But I have never been able to do a great burger. Don’t get me wrong, even a ‘bad burger’ is still pretty damn good, but...

Here’s my issue.I don’t buy pre-made, pre-formed burgers, but hand form my own. The challenge I have run into is figuring out how not to compact the patty as I form it. Mine always come out much more dense than I want. When I eat at a top burger place, the meat in their burgers is very loosely packed and you can still see individual strands of ground beef in them. It’s like a totally different product.

I don’t know if it’s the quality of beef, how they ‘form’ their burgers, or how they are prepared.

My burgers also tend to end up in a rounded ball shape. I’ve seen and tried tricks like making an ‘indent’ in the burger before cooking - but doesn’t seem to keep it from happening.

I need those of you who make a great burger to share your most closely guarded burger secrets :)

I much prefer a "smash" burger, because I think it gets a much better crust...

If I am going "all out" I will grind my own meat with our Kitchenaid, but otherwise, just buy some quality ground beef, loosely form, and then smash the burger down on the cast iron and it cooks super fast, and with a really really nice crust.

Alot depends on the fat content of the burger, higher fat content means it melts off and will leave a looser burger. I have my cows ground at 95% lean so very little fat. For lean meat, the less smashing and smooshing the better.

90/10 beef, or ground sirloin to start. Don’t add a bunch of stuff and keep it simple - salt and pepper.

If I’m doing it on the griddle i ball a 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb up and so a smash burger. If it’s on a grill I use a press And place the meat between 2 pieces of wax paper to form the patty on the press.

I fins that the two biggest mistakes made are getting overly complicated by adding too much to the meat or using fatty hamburger to start. All the fat just renders out anyway leading to flame ups, small burgers and dry burgers.

The smash burger style (which I’ve never done) is interesting ... could be the method most of the top burger spots I visit use vs. grilling?

I have always struggled with the ‘form loosely’ aspect as balancing keeping a burger from completely falling apart vs. having a nicely loose burger that is not completely compacted is challenging.

Ive wondered before if half the battle is the quality of the ground beef. I know with steaks, one of the reasons a steak done at a specialty restaurant can be so good is simply the quality of what they are starting with. Wonder if this is also true with ground beef?

90/10 beef, or ground sirloin to start. Don’t add a bunch of stuff and keep it simple - salt and pepper.

If I’m doing it on the griddle i ball a 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb up and so a smash burger. If it’s on a grill I use a press And place the meat between 2 pieces of wax paper to form the patty on the press.

I fins that the two biggest mistakes made are getting overly complicated by adding too much to the meat or using fatty hamburger to start. All the fat just renders out anyway leading to flame ups, small burgers and dry burgers.

Its interesting that you prefer 90/10, 80/20 has always been the "Gold Standard" of Ground Beef for burgers.

I will have to give 90/10 a go sometime.

Its interesting that you prefer 90/10, 80/20 has always been the "Gold Standard" of Ground Beef for burgers.

I will have to give 90/10 a go sometime.
80/20 works well too. I think my family just prefers the leaner meat. I refuse to use anything under 80/20.

I cannot imagine anything more fatty than 80/20 haha
A lot of the cheap pre formed frozen patties in my grocery store are 70/30, 73/27 and 75/25. There is a reason they look pink and not red like meat.

Start with good quality meat.
Do not overwork it into a ball first and then form a patty. Just form the patty without too much working of the meat.
Definitely make the indent.
Cook fast and don't flip too often. Definitely do not press down on patty to flatten on the grill.

I've started doing the reverse sear burger this summer on the smoker and have had some great luck. I always break up the burger in a bowl and normally just season with salt and pepper. I form the patties just until they hold together. I can get great results the normal grilling way with 90% lean but for the reverse sear smoked burger I prefer 80-85% lean burger. I've also mixed in 1/3rd ground pork to 90% lean for the reverse sear with great results.

Here's a link.

kenji lopez-alt says to never salt the meat until it's on the grill. he says the salt starts a chemical reaction that serves to toughen the burger.

Appreciate all the great replies, gives me some techniques to try 🤛🏻

I use a large Tupperware press to form them, but not completely smash the meat. No seasoning in the meat, as McLovin noted, but only as it cooks. The biggest secret really is just don't overcook it.

The smash burger style (which I’ve never done) is interesting ... could be the method most of the top burger spots I visit use vs. grilling?

I have always struggled with the ‘form loosely’ aspect as balancing keeping a burger from completely falling apart vs. having a nicely loose burger that is not completely compacted is challenging.

Ive wondered before if half the battle is the quality of the ground beef. I know with steaks, one of the reasons a steak done at a specialty restaurant can be so good is simply the quality of what they are starting with. Wonder if this is also true with ground beef?
From cooking shows I have watched, they stated the restaurants often start with a ground round with a lot of fat in it. Like 70/30 is their secret.
It gets that lovely crust and taste from all the wonderful fat. I have a really hard time finding quality ground beef at the stores to make patties with.
I'm using an 85/15 blend right now. I've been kinda working the meat with my hands and trying to get all the grains and such worked out of it somewhat. Otherwise I find they want to shrink up and ball up like others stated. I try not to make my patties too thick so that they cook faster and don't have to sit on the flame too long and dry out. I find if I don't work the meat some, it wants to fall apart along the strands /lines in the meat from the grinder. Salt and pepper here. I prefer the grill, but if its too cold, the fry pan will do. I need a good cast iron.

Point me to good ground beef, please.

Small town meat processors / butcher shops.
There are some around. I'll have to expand my web of stores ever further. Gets exhausting going to multiple stores for all the things you need.
The small butcher shops often like to do "specialty" patties I've noticed. One locally has "Gummi Bear Brats." Oof. :whistle:

When I am grilling my own burgers, I get good burger meat, add in just a little Heinz 57 or Worchestershire to the mix and then grill.
I think it's important to let the patty rest under wax paper till the meat is at room temp.
I only turn them once and don't season them while cooking. I let the eaters add their own salt and pepper to taste.

Start with
1603158708518.png

I use 90/10 for my burgers usually end up pretty good

Back