The Putting Stroke: something a bit different

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I have always putted with my shoulders, with a slight arc, but was never comfortable with figuring out the speed while doing so.

I started experimenting to see what kind of stroke makes getting the speed more consistent, as well as feeling more comfortable.

I came up with something that works for me with regards to consistency and feel. I putt with my hands/wrists. Since doing this, I am averaging around five fewer putts per round. My last two rounds were 27 and 28 putts.

I know this is not how you are "supposed" to putt, but all I am interested in is results, and for now this is working quite nicely for me. I am also feeling a lot more confident when I stand over a putt.

putting to me is whatever feels best for each person. if you are seeing better results and more consistent then roll with it.

I have always putted with my shoulders, with a slight arc, but was never comfortable with figuring out the speed while doing so.

I started experimenting to see what kind of stroke makes getting the speed more consistent, as well as feeling more comfortable.

I came up with something that works for me with regards to consistency and feel. I putt with my hands/wrists. Since doing this, I am averaging around five fewer putts per round. My last two rounds were 27 and 28 putts.

I know this is not how you are "supposed" to putt, but all I am interested in is results, and for now this is working quite nicely for me. I am also feeling a lot more confident when I stand over a putt.

How fast are the greens you plan on typically? I have a feeling that would work for slow greens, but could be pretty rough on fast ones.

I agree... Putting is a very individual thing. Everybody is unique. I have a certain putting grip and use a straight out 'n back, pendulum, type of putting stroke.

I've been working on a shorter follow through for putting. Only 1 round so far, but I putted pretty well. It's a very individual thing

If you find something that works for you just roll with it!

It's a mix of both fast and slow. So far I have found it works well regardless of the speed of the greens.

Stan Utley is one that does not leaves the arms out of the putting stroke - he bends the trail arm slightly going back at the elbow, then bends the lead arm very slightly in the thru stroke - the grip end moves very little as opposed to a shoulder stroke.

I've done about everything, including Utley, and am better with a shoulder stroke with elbows sticking on the sides of the ribcage, not bent over toooo much. I also look at putter grips - big differences in results. I've gone to a Flatso 2.0 with my new traditional putter and my putting returned to life.

whateer works for you, if you can find consistency that way, I say go for it

I played with a guy that putted one-handed. He gripped down onto the steel and the putter grip was locked to his forearm. He would squat down low almost to kneeling and make his stroke. Never saw him 3 putt and his lags were nearly always inside 2 feet.

If it works, work it.

Back