The Road To Grandmama's House - 2020 Edition

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
With the upcoming 2nd contest announced by JB, I thought what better way to start documenting the lead up to this incredible event than to take everyone along with myself and the 3 lucky THP'ers who get will get chosen to take the inaugural ride to Grandmama's house. We'll use this thread to coordinate and ask questions across all the contests and all the Grandmama Squad members. So ask away and enjoy the ride with us!

What is The GrandMama:

The GrandMama is an amazing new experience from the guys at Callaway in lieu of the GrandDaddy this year and is a fantastic opportunity to spend dedicated time in Carlsbad, CA with the Callaway team. Lucky THP'ers and 2020 Albatross Club members ( see here for details and benefits ) will walk away with not only incredible new Callaway gear, but with the experience of a lifetime being behind the scenes at Callaway and being able to come back to the THP forum to share their experience. All the details can be found here including with @JB and Mr. Jason Finley himself:

The GrandMama with Callaway Golf

What's Included
Airfare
Hotels
Club Fitting at ECPC
Full bag of clubs
Tour Callaway
Meet R&D
Play Golf with members of the team there
And so much more

Unlike the GrandDaddy, there are only 4 members from the THP forum joining in the GrandMama but they will be doing the job of 12. Emmy Winning Producer, Jeff Neubarth and his Callaway Media Productions crew will assist in that creation of the reviews of the clubs and the experience. Be it audio recording or editing, all of the pictures taken you want done and even video production and editing. The end result will be a brand new experience focused less on the competition, and focused more on the behind the scenes experience and club reviews.

Dates: December 8th - 11th

The Grandmama Squad:
@Tevenor
@xThor
@Muchmore18
@93civiccpe

Contests:
#1 - Tell us how you would review the Callaway Chrome Soft
#2 - Tell us about your current driver
#3 - TBD
#4 - Tell us about your favorite Callaway iron

Welcome to the discussion and to follow along with us on the ride!

Last edited:
Love this!

So first question that really must be answered to get the ball rolling.....

Which GrandMama wig would be the best wig for the experience for me to wear? :D

Or

So first question that really must be answered to get the ball rolling.....

Which GrandMama wig would be the best wig for the experience for me to wear? :D

Or

id prefer a cougar with wig 1 a little more class
although wig 2 reminds me of a cougar that may be wild

Contest number 2 has been posted! Time for another lucky THP'er to get the opportunity for this incredible experience.

Glad to see you embracing this, it is a long wait but well worth it. Such an amazing ride.

Can’t wait to follow this journey!!

Glad to see you embracing this, it is a long wait but well worth it. Such an amazing ride.

Long wait but it will be here faster than we think. And although related to the GrandDaddy and given that this is the first time this event will happen, there will be no doubt lots of conversations as Mr. Finley and the crew work with JB on what exactly will be involved and more details come out on how . Not to mention the excitement of finding out who the other 3 THPer's will be. Just something nice for what I hope will be everyone to look forward to given how 2020 has gone so far.

And the 2nd Golden ticket has been punched! Welcome aboard @xThor to the Road to Grandmama's house. :)

This is without a doubt one of the most amazing days, and it is only going to get better.
My wife is thrilled as well, as she has now put a moratorium on me buying any new clubs, and asked my plans for my current clubs, as I just updated everything in the bag this year.

I have been a big fan of Callaway for the last few years, but more importantly, an Odyssey junkie since I started playing golf. Something about that swirl just does it for me :ROFLMAO:.

This is going to be amazing!

This is without a doubt one of the most amazing days, and it is only going to get better.
My wife is thrilled as well, as she has now put a moratorium on me buying any new clubs, and asked my plans for my current clubs, as I just updated everything in the bag this year.

I have been a big fan of Callaway for the last few years, but more importantly, an Odyssey junkie since I started playing golf. Something about that swirl just does it for me :ROFLMAO:.

This is going to be amazing!

So excited to have you on board @xThor! Going to be a great experience!

Still riding the high of this. Probably will be for a whole year.

Getting to play a lot more golf lately- and tinkering with equipment. This week I start regular Thursday (9) and Saturday (18) men’s league. And perhaps more importantly, starting lessons this Sunday with my local fitter.

My goal is to be a single digit handicap, perhaps too high of a goal by the GrandMama time, but I’d like to be consistently breaking 90 by then.

This week: testing out the Tensei club pro orange versus Rogue black in my 17* super hybrid. And (as of 15 minutes age) testing out my Triple Track Ten S.

Started lessons today. After losing 5 drives OB yesterday, today was primarily focused on driver, but did a couple iron shots as well.
With my irons, hitting a bit off the toe, my stance was a bit too far. I think it was a subconscious fear of getting stuck. Used to be a pretty steep and over the top player, so I want to avoid anything close to that feeling. But a minor adjustment there and brought the strike much closer to center, and kept my draw in play.

Driver was a different story. Moving closer and a bit more upright I was becoming stuck and losing a lot of distance. Played around with a few more ball locations and distance from the body until we found somewhere I can find consistently. Balance is really where I need to work on. Keeping a smooth turn, transition, and finish; instead of falling in towards the ball.

Will definitely be going for more lessons, and hoping to take what I learned to the course with some success this week. League play on Thursday, Member-Member next weekend and Club Championship the following.

Love the updates in here so far @Tevenor and @xThor. Thor, good luck in the competitions coming up!

Braking news! Our 3rd team mate has been announced. Welcome @Muchmore18 to the Grandmama team!

Love this!
I'm reaching but I'd like to say this was foreshadowing :LOL: Humbled and truly excited to go on this journey with you guys!

Last edited:
Congrats @Muchmore18 ! Awesome news .... this is going to be a great experience to follow along with... keep those updates coming

Alright, so looks like we have @Tevenor at a 7.7, @Muchmore18 at a 9.2 hdcp.
After the club championship this weekend (course was a 73.3/145 :eek:) I am down to a 13.8.

I hovered around 15 most of the year, until the last month where I started playing some better golf. My big hairy audacious goal for the year is to be a single digit cap by the time the GrandMama happens. It will be tough, but as long as I can get to the point of consistently breaking 90 I will be pleased (but not satisfied). I just started taking lessons, so hoping to find some improvements to my game, finding consistency (especially off the tee) will be mission critical for me.

Alright, so looks like we have @Tevenor at a 7.7, @Muchmore18 at a 9.2 hdcp.
After the club championship this weekend (course was a 73.3/145 :eek:) I am down to a 13.8.

I hovered around 15 most of the year, until the last month where I started playing some better golf. My big hairy audacious goal for the year is to be a single digit cap by the time the GrandMama happens. It will be tough, but as long as I can get to the point of consistently breaking 90 I will be pleased (but not satisfied). I just started taking lessons, so hoping to find some improvements to my game, finding consistency (especially off the tee) will be mission critical for me.
Keep me updated on how the lessons are going for you!

If you’re playing those kinds of courses regularly, you’re going to be looking good come December!

Back