The search for a 5 wood

davidsong

Reaction score
I am looking to fill in a club for 240 yards.

I have a cobra ls ltdx 3 wood tensei 1k blue 7x 43 inches that i hit great and feels great, as in its easy to time.

I have tried three five woods and dont like any of them cobra, ping g430 max.

the most recent was just another cobra ltdx ls but the 5 wood with tensei blue 1k 8x at 41 inches and was hoping it would feel like the 3 wood but the way it loads the timing and impact all feel totally different. I do love the way it looks at address though and i can hit good shots with it just not with the ease of my 3 wood.

I have also been testing a 2 hybrid kingtec. I quite like the feel and been getting good impact, but the face is sort of long at address which actually really bothers me, makes me feel like im going to snap hook it…. it also doesnt go quite as high as a 5 wood. I hit it better than the 5 woods

At this point im about to give it up n stick w the hybrid which has aldila nv green 85x. Im going to see if i can test out the aldila with the 5 wood not sure if the adapter for cobra hybrids and woods are the same though.

Anyway i dont know where to go from here i need some ideas.

Callaway Paradym 5woo /Ai Smoke......allllll day......ev'ry dayyyyy

I wasnt a 5 wood guy until i was fit in this at The Grandaddy on THP. That changed everything and it is now one of my favorite clubs in the bag. I wouldnt have even entered this thread if it werent for that fitting. Just being honest. Its THAT good

Callaway Paradym 5wood......allllll day......ev'ry dayyyyy

I wasnt a 5 wood guy until i was fit in this at The Grandaddy on THP. That changed everything and it is now one of my favorite clubs in the bag.
The smoke or the previous? Triple diamond or regular? I had a cobra ltdx reg and the thing ballooned way too much which is why i have been testing the ls.

Callaway Paradym 5wood......allllll day......ev'ry dayyyyy

I wasnt a 5 wood guy until i was fit in this at The Grandaddy on THP. That changed everything and it is now one of my favorite clubs in the bag.
Or the older Rogue ST Max 5w.
Mine has a unicorn head cover on it. Ymmv.

Wow that sounds fun haha
Uhhhhhh its insane. All expenses paid.....trip and experience of an entire lifetime. No idea how old you are. But its open to adults of all skill levels forming a team to be flown out to Cali and pampered for days and days. Quite extraordinary actually.

Are you liking THP?

Uhhhhhh its insane. All expenses paid.....trip and experience of an entire lifetime. No idea how old you are. But its open to adults of all skill levels forming a team to be flown out to Cali and pampered for days and days. Quite extraordinary actually.

Are you liking THP?
Haha love it just come here to verbal diahrea all my golf thoughts 😆😆😆

Haha love it just come here to verbal diahrea all my golf thoughts 😆😆😆
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: WOW so youre fitting in great then cause thats all most of us do anyways.

Callaway Paradym 5woo /Ai Smoke......allllll day......ev'ry dayyyyy

I wasnt a 5 wood guy until i was fit in this at The Grandaddy on THP. That changed everything and it is now one of my favorite clubs in the bag. I wouldnt have even entered this thread if it werent for that fitting. Just being honest. Its THAT good
I am searching for 5 wood too and was just looking at these as they come w/ my preferred Tensei shafts. Think your post just sold me. Thanks!

I am pretty partial to the Cobra Aerojet 5w

I am searching for 5 wood too and was just looking at these as they come w/ my preferred Tensei shafts. Think your post just sold me. Thanks!
I hadnt even hit a 5 wood prior to the fitting at The Grandaddy much less thought about it going in the bag. Zero BS......i absolutely freaking love hitting this club. 3 wood too fwiw.

The smoke or the previous? Triple diamond or regular? I had a cobra ltdx reg and the thing ballooned way too much which is why i have been testing the ls.
Paradym (previous version) is very good, Ai Smoke (current version) is even better. Triple Diamond or Max would depend on your swing, best if you can try before buying.

I hadnt even hit a 5 wood prior to the fitting at The Grandaddy much less thought about it going in the bag. Zero BS......i absolutely freaking love hitting this club. 3 wood too fwiw.
Oh wow do they feel really similar? The thing that kills me is i expected the ltdx ls 5 wood to feel 80% similar to my 3 wood n it feels 1000% different lol

Same. I had 3w and then hybrid. I didn't hit the woods good at ECPC but my fitter said go with a 3w/5w combo and I listened.
St max 5w has been great club.

Oh wow do they feel really similar? The thing that kills me is i expected the ltdx ls 5 wood to feel 80% similar to my 3 wood n it feels 1000% different lol
I think they feel basically the same. Certainly sound the same.

Paradym (previous version) is very good, Ai Smoke (current version) is even better. Triple Diamond or Max would depend on your swing, best if you can try before buying.
My driver speed is about 110ish

I have driven a 280 yard par 4 multiple times with my 3 wood which is why i love the thing. (Not carrry the shots rolled out like 20-30 yards) N its weirdly easy to time up n hit straight

but all the 5 woods ive tried dont have the same easiness to hit straight which is sort of odd cuz i figure higher loft shorter shaft should be easier. I actually hit the reg ltdx straighter than my other two that i tested but sometimes it would just balloon like insanely insanely high just ridiculous balloon balls. Maybe ill have to give the smoke a go.

I should point out......ANYONE can get into The Grandaddy! Ya just need to keep doing what youre doing but also join the Albatross Club.
Ya never know!!!!! Lightening could strike and you may not need to worry about getting a new 5 wood. 🤷‍♂️

I'm another that hadn't carried a 5-wood in something like 25 years, but got the Tour Edge Exotics C723 5-wood last year (as a member of TEEm Tour Edge here on THP) and have been wondering why I ever stopped carrying one. I play it at 16.5*, 18* is standard, so kind of like a 4-wood, and it has replaced my 15* Srixon 3-wood for that spot in the bag. I've also played it lofted up to 19.5*, and it gapped really well with the 3-wood when I was carrying it. I have actually pondered getting another one, keeping the one I have at 16.5*, and playing the second at 19.5*, replacing my 3-hybrid.

The Cobra Radspeed 5W from 2021 is amazing off the turf.

I am looking to fill in a club for 240 yards.

I have a cobra ls ltdx 3 wood tensei 1k blue 7x 43 inches that i hit great and feels great, as in its easy to time.

I have tried three five woods and dont like any of them cobra, ping g430 max.

the most recent was just another cobra ltdx ls but the 5 wood with tensei blue 1k 8x at 41 inches and was hoping it would feel like the 3 wood but the way it loads the timing and impact all feel totally different. I do love the way it looks at address though and i can hit good shots with it just not with the ease of my 3 wood.

I have also been testing a 2 hybrid kingtec. I quite like the feel and been getting good impact, but the face is sort of long at address which actually really bothers me, makes me feel like im going to snap hook it…. it also doesnt go quite as high as a 5 wood. I hit it better than the 5 woods

At this point im about to give it up n stick w the hybrid which has aldila nv green 85x. Im going to see if i can test out the aldila with the 5 wood not sure if the adapter for cobra hybrids and woods are the same though.

Anyway i dont know where to go from here i need some ideas.
I went from a revolving door of 5 woods and utilities until I found the Callaway UW. It has more of a fairway than hybrid shape and is more versatile than an iron or fairway IMO. Easy to hit and elevate without being spinny or a club I worry about going left.

If you are deadset on a 5w, I would recommend the Ai Smoke. I have the Smoke Triple Diamond 3w and it's forgiving and long.

Titleist TSR3 18* ???

Back