The Travel Tips, Tricks, and Secrets Thread

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I've got a crazy (even crazier than usual) travel schedule coming up this summer, and thought it would be fun to have an open discussion about all things travel.

Know a good trick to getting through your local airport faster than anyone else? Share it here! Found a new credit card with a huge intro bonus? I want to know about it! Know the worst seat on a plane? Well, that's easy: United Airlines 737-900, seat 11A - but there's probably more.

main-qimg-1f7d5a373dcc82e4477178ae894b5208-lq.jpg

I'll kick this off:

When searching for flights, and not immediately buying, switch up your IP address (vpn, or use your phone's data, etc.) as the ITA Matrix can see what you're searching for and from where. If you search (and others) enough without buying, the price will jump. By mixing up your IP, you effectively trick the algorithm into thinking that it's simply a new query.

I recently used this on a flight where I was on the fence, and wasn't ready to pull the trigger. After five or six searches over a week or so, the price spiked. I used a vpn from the same computer, and wound up with the itinerary I wanted for less than I originally saw earlier. Saved about $7000

I just do easy stuff.

Make sure to have current TSA pre, global entry and Clear that a credit card reimbursed you for.

Credit card for longe access to make layovers more bearable.

I just do easy stuff.

Make sure to have current TSA pre, global entry and Clear that a credit card reimbursed you for.

Credit card for longe access to make layovers more bearable.
Priority Pass is a life saver, especially when you're in an unfamiliar airport, or on an unfamiliar airline where you don't get the usual lounge access

I learned this week, Heathrow is a total s**tshow. Wildly understaffed, and just not great.

Hoping for the best tomorrow on my way home, but not holding my breath.

They canceled my flight to Glasgow, and then canceled the rebook. I ended up snagging a rental, and driving from London to Selkirk.

Most international airports are a disaster atm.

I learned this week, Heathrow is a total s**tshow. Wildly understaffed, and just not great.

Hoping for the best tomorrow on my way home, but not holding my breath.

They canceled my flight to Glasgow, and then canceled the rebook. I ended up snagging a rental, and driving from London to Selkirk.

Most international airports are a disaster atm.
I haven't had any real trouble with Heathrow lately, just longer check in times. I'm flying out of there on Wed morning so we'll see. Haven't had any issues at the following European airports in the last couple of months:

London Heathrow
London Gatwick
Zurich
Dublin
München
Charles de Gaulle
Belgrade
Nice

Heathrow has been, by far the slowest.

Another tip: When things are like this - if you can, check your bags the day before your flight. Then all you need to do is go through security.

I’ve heard the hack about avoiding baggage fees by bringing multiple carry ons and checking them at the gate. Sometimes you can convince the attendant to drop any charges

I’ve heard the hack about avoiding baggage fees by bringing multiple carry ons and checking them at the gate. Sometimes you can convince the attendant to drop any charges
That's a good one. I didn't know there were charges at all to gate check bags. I rarely ever do it, except for the baby buggy, and car seat - which I would certainly hope they don't charge for.

I haven't had any real trouble with Heathrow lately, just longer check in times. I'm flying out of there on Wed morning so we'll see. Haven't had any issues at the following European airports in the last couple of months:

London Heathrow
London Gatwick
Zurich
Dublin
München
Charles de Gaulle
Belgrade
Nice

Heathrow has been, by far the slowest.

Another tip: When things are like this - if you can, check your bags the day before your flight. Then all you need to do is go through security.

May have just been the perfect storm. But there were people everywhere, running to their flights.

BA canceled 30 flights last min, and it was mayhem.

I never check a bag, so one less thing to worry about.

We'll see tomorrow morning...

May have just been the perfect storm. But there were people everywhere, running to their flights.

BA canceled 30 flights last min, and it was mayhem.

I never check a bag, so one less thing to worry about.

We'll see tomorrow morning...
How on earth do you travel with golf clubs without checking a bag? Please tell me you travel with golf clubs at all times, like any upstanding citizen of THP

That's a good one. I didn't know there were charges at all to gate check bags. I rarely ever do it, except for the baby buggy, and car seat - which I would certainly hope they don't charge for.
I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen people do it. I’m not sure if they charge or not if you do it unprovoked. I know if they ask people if they’re willing to then there is no charge

Don't put club heads on top of laptops through tsa machines. They do not like that. :LOL:

Some things I do on international travel: photocopy your passport and lock the original in the hotel rooms safe, but a Sim card for you phone in the country your traveling to, carry ons only and always, travel insurance that has Covid coverage, check travel or covid restrictions in destination country, pack a scarf (especially for women), the further you travel the more water you drink, know where the nearest hospital is to your hotel, know where the US Embassy is located. Also, I seem to remember seats 11A and 12A on the 737-900 are window seats without windows. MIght be off on that one

Have an early flight? Stay at a hotel by the airport the night before, enjoy a drink at the bar, and a stress free trip to the airport

I have a 800 flight tomorrow. Car service to the airport was £179. Instead, got the wife to give me a ride to the Sheraton at Heathrow. Cost me a whopping 15,000 Marriott points (that's practically nothing.) So much easier.

Last edited:
Holy moly, what a morning.

Here's where having status with an airline REALLY comes into play.

I arrived at Heathrow this morning at 430 for an 8am flight. Way earlier than I normally would arrive, but given all the horror stories about Heathrow right now, I didn't want to risk it. I made it through check in, and security in about 30 min - the fast track security lanes didn't open til 530, so I was in the regular line, which was moving quickly. All was well.

I got settled in the lounge, and made grabbed a cup of coffee. Then I had sudden panic thought.... I looked in my wallet and sure enough, I don't have my driver's license. My wife had needed it for something the other day and didn't give it back.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I rented a car to drive from Chicago to Michigan to surprise my dad on his 70th birthday tomorrow. I called my wife, and we couldn't figure any way to get me my DL in time, as she needs to take our son to school.

I called the United Global Services desk and explained my situation. The woman on the other end of the phone put me on hold for a minute, came back and said "I've moved you to the 1pm flight, confirmed seat 1F" It took all of 30 seconds. She then offered to give me a room at a hotel, so that I could go back to sleep while I wait for my wife to drive to the airport.

My wife will drop off the boy, and drive to meet me at departures. I'll have to go through security again, but the fast track lane should be open, and all will be well. Sucks that I've had to waste 5 hours in the airport, but crisis averted.

if you can, check your bags the day before your flight. Then all you need to do is go through security.
How do you check your bags the day before? I always identify how many bags I will check when I check-in to the flight the day before but still have to drop them at the counter before going through security.

This would be a good trick to know.

How do you check your bags the day before? I always identify how many bags I will check when I check-in to the flight the day before but still have to drop them at the counter before going through security.

This would be a good trick to know.
Depends on the airport/airline, but with United, in the states, I've been able to simply drive up to the sky cap (at LAX) after I've checked in, and drop off my bags.

I attempted to do this at heathrow yesterday but was told they have a cut off at 6 hours prior to departure. This could be because of their staffing issues though.

Update on my crazy day:

I learned I was unable to exit the airport without going through immigration, so a United employee accompanied me to security where a member of the security staff took my phone number and went to meet my wife at departures. Drivers license secured, and on the plane.

Update on my crazy day:

I learned I was unable to exit the airport without going through immigration, so a United employee accompanied me to security where a member of the security staff took my phone number and went to meet my wife at departures. Drivers license secured, and on the plane.
Safe travels. Sounds like they took good care of you!

Holy moly, what a morning.

Here's where having status with an airline REALLY comes into play.

I arrived at Heathrow this morning at 430 for an 8am flight. Way earlier than I normally would arrive, but given all the horror stories about Heathrow right now, I didn't want to risk it. I made it through check in, and security in about 30 min - the fast track security lanes didn't open til 530, so I was in the regular line, which was moving quickly. All was well.

I got settled in the lounge, and made grabbed a cup of coffee. Then I had sudden panic thought.... I looked in my wallet and sure enough, I don't have my driver's license. My wife had needed it for something the other day and didn't give it back.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I rented a car to drive from Chicago to Michigan to surprise my dad on his 70th birthday tomorrow. I called my wife, and we couldn't figure any way to get me my DL in time, as she needs to take our son to school.

I called the United Global Services desk and explained my situation. The woman on the other end of the phone put me on hold for a minute, came back and said "I've moved you to the 1pm flight, confirmed seat 1F" It took all of 30 seconds. She then offered to give me a room at a hotel, so that I could go back to sleep while I wait for my wife to drive to the airport.

My wife will drop off the boy, and drive to meet me at departures. I'll have to go through security again, but the fast track lane should be open, and all will be well. Sucks that I've had to waste 5 hours in the airport, but crisis averted.

I am really happy this is how it went for you, that is absolutely service above and beyond!

That is not how it went the day prior.

Arrive to Heathrow from Scotland.
No gate.
Bus to terminal.
Have to go thru security again, for some unknown reason.
1.5hrs to get thru the ONE open security line.
No BS, people are screaming at eachother, multiple fights almost break out.
Heathrow personnel give zero f**ks
Sprint to tram/plane at C gates
Thankfully, they knew we were coming, and held the plane for a little while.

Many people were not so fortunate, and too late. even tho the airline staff knew they were at security.

It was a god damn nightmare, and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

And they plan to strike soon (mid/end July), so that should help things out...

Update on my crazy day:

It sounds like you are getting great customer service. That's nice to hear. It's also great you are going to surprise your dad for his 70th. Happy pre-Bday to him.

I am really happy this is how it went for you, that is absolutely service above and beyond!

That is not how it went the day prior.

Arrive to Heathrow from Scotland.
No gate.
Bus to terminal.
Have to go thru security again, for some unknown reason.
1.5hrs to get thru the ONE open security line.
No BS, people are screaming at eachother, multiple fights almost break out.
Heathrow personnel give zero f**ks
Sprint to tram/plane at C gates
Thankfully, they knew we were coming, and held the plane for a little while.

Many people were not so fortunate, and too late. even tho the airline staff knew they were at security.

It was a god damn nightmare, and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

And they plan to strike soon (mid/end July), so that should help things out...
I don't want to get too into the union side but that's where places like this need binding arbitration - NOT strikes. It doesn't seem to do anyone good and it's terrible for the customer experience.

Yuck.

Back