The Youth Sports Coaching Thread

I decided to coach soccer again. The club my girls play for have a need and approached me to see if I would be interested. I have a passion for teaching and coaching. I love to blend life lessons into play on the pitch and feel I have a lot to offer the kids. I am going to schedule my D license courses and real quick after that get my C and stay at that level.

I am optimistically excited and scared to death at the same time.

I decided to coach soccer again. The club my girls play for have a need and approached me to see if I would be interested. I have a passion for teaching and coaching. I love to blend life lessons into play on the pitch and feel I have a lot to offer the kids. I am going to schedule my D license courses and real quick after that get my C and stay at that level.

You’ll crush it and it’ll be awesome for the girls

All it takes is passion, and time. You've got this!

My coaching journey started out as helping my own kid mat side, and other parents then asking me to help theirs too. I kind of followed my son - though not always as his direct coach. His skill level was beyond mine pretty early actually. I've coached nearly every age of athlete, and most skill levels. Haven't actually coached Olympians, but a few of the kids I have coached went on to that level.

I've been on staff with the high school since my boy's sophomore year, as a 'paid' coach. This allowed me to drive the districts activity busses and help out getting the team to events or camps. It's been a very rewarding gig. I've coached many of our high school athletes since they were 4 or 5 years old. With my son off at college, it's been nice to still have a strong connection to our athletes. The parents can really put a damper on things... but I love our athletes.

That said... my son's redshirt won't exist next year and I'll be more focused on being dad and making sure I get to his matches. This is going to require me to step back some more from coaching duties. I already told the head coach I'm not getting my activity bus license renewed. I'll still be around as much as I can, but the days of regular practices and making every tournament are likely over for me. At least for a few years. I love the sport, I love teaching and helping these young athletes grow into good people but it's time to be dad.

I'm still contemplating moving over to the officials side, just not sure I want to commit the time to it yet.

Season opener today for Jax as he’s guest catching for his old team. They cut him a couple years ago and since then he’s done nothing but work his ass off to get better and make them regret it. Got the call two days ago to see if he was available lol gotta love the politics of 14U baseball.

41° and sunny today and I get to watch my son play ball. Could be worse

Hitting the road for the 3 hour drive down to Dayton for a showcase tournament. PBR will have all the social media coverage and blah blah. I just wanna focus on the baseball because we play the #4 team in Ohio right out of the gate lol

Back