There and back again: Tev's Grandaddy Tale

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
As spring comes around and we are getting closer and closer to the Grandaddy later this year, the real prepping begins. Similar to the Captain of our grand adventure @MattyD-MPLS as well as a few of my GD brothers who are documenting their journey to the Grandaddy, I decided to take this opportunity to share a bit about myself, where my game is, and document my season this year in my summer league which is an amateur travel league ( more about that later). To add to that, I also decided to jump in with both feet into the NY State Amateur golf series which hosts tournaments all across the state and reigns a champion at a 2 day gross event at the end of the year. I figured what better way to get used to the pressure than to put myself in as many pressure situations as possible, right? ( Maybe not the smartest idea but yeah.....its an idea. )

So a little about myself. I am Sean Caron and I live in Rochester, NY with my wife and 2 kids, Grace (14) and Jake (11). I've been playing golf on and off since I was 10. My father is a pretty good stick and has been a +player at one time or another. Just this year he shot under his age shooting a 71 at the ripe old age of 72. My cousin was a teaching pro for a while and is a damn good stick himself. He currently is a general manager of a private course. So yeah, big shoes to fill. :)

I played through High school until I got to college when school and baseball and girls and work and other things took over my life. I didn't get back into golf until I was 24 or so and have been playing for the last 21 years pretty much non-stop. Its taken me most of those 21 years to grind out the baseball swing that was so effective on a diamond and replace it with a swing that's effective on a golf course. The handicap drops over the last few years have reflected that. Last year I hit by lowest HC ever at 6.5 as well as tying my lowest gross score with a 74.

My path to the Grandaddy was a little different, which was the same for my Grandmama brothers @93civiccpe, @xThor, and @Muchmore18. With Pandemic hitting and causing the 2020 Grandaddy to be cancelled, the Grandmama was an idea from the Callaway team and @JB to have at least some level of event and I was lucky enough to be the first selected for it. However, although the GrandMama crew and the Callaway team were incredibly excited about the opportunity for a new event based off the GD, it too had to be cancelled because of the Pandemic. So @JasonFinleyCG graciously offered the Grandmama folks to head to the 2021 GD. And for that I'll be eternally grateful to Jason and all the Callaway folks for giving us that opportunity.

My league is a singles travel league starting on April 25th and spreads across 22 weeks meaning every week we play a different course from a choice of 2 courses per week ( Side A vs Side B ). It's a flighted handicap league that follows all USGA rules ( e.g. full penalties, must putt out/no gimmees, etc. ). Each week, we give out prices for low net and low gross per flight, team bestball for your 4 some, AND you accumulate points for a year end match-play playoff for the club points champion ship. The top 6 points winners of the year ( max 20 rounds count towards points ) play a match play event at the end of the year for the year end award. We also have a year end tournament that is a stand alone 2 day ( 36 hole ) event with the top 6 gross scores making the cut for the 2nd day. Total membership in this league/tour has been right around 300 with around 200 to 220 arriving each week. The really cool part about this league is that it is pay as you go which means you can play around your schedule and other than a small upfront fee, you pay each week. Its a very interesting and fun format.

My hope is that I can keep everyone up to date on where my game is at as we get closer to the GD through my weekly tour events, range work, and the special amateur series events throughout the summer. I really can't wait to go on this journey with my band of brothers @Muchmore18 , @xThor, @93civiccpe , @RealPretendPsychic, and @Afizzle2100, including our Cap @MattyD-MPLS and our fantastic AssCap @dacatalyst41.

Feel free to ask me whatever questions you have. I'll post a WITB currently below and talk gear choices later.

Last edited:
New year, new bag setup. Last year I had a mixed bag of gear from a variety of sources. This year, it follows more of a common theme. All clubs use the same Golf Pride MCC +4 midsize grips.

Driver, Fairways, and Hybrids Oh My!
I was playing the Cobra Speedzone that I was given as part of the Distance Bash and loved it. It was everything I needed at the time. Forgiving, looked good, and performed great. A good part of that was the custom fit shaft Purple LINQ 7F5 by none other than @DannyLe who is a staple at the UST Mamiya experiences and frankly one of the best guys in golf. I wasn't much of a hybrid fan but while I was looking for a matching fairway wood, I found the Speedzone hybrid to be damn easy to hit. So I played last year with Cobra gear with UST Mamiya shafts in each one ( LINQ Proto in the 5wood, and Recoil Proto Utility shaft in the hybrid ) and did well with them.

Fast forward to this year, and with the Callaway team giving the Grandmama team a choice of a driver to try out, I selected the Epic Max LS 9 degree and love it. It reminds me a lot of my old Epic Flash SZ but with the forgiveness of the Cobra which to me, is absolutely the best of both worlds. Right now I switching between the LINQ Purple 7F5 and the Project X Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 as my go to shaft choices. Both feel great and each has its benefits.

I liked the Epic Max LS so much, I tried out the Epic Speed and Apex/Apex Pro hybrids and was sold on both. I bought the 4 wood and the Apex Pro 3 hybrid. In both, I reached out to Danny for recommendations and I ended up with the LINQ Blue M40X 8F5 shaft in the 4 wood and the new LINQ Hybrid shaft 100H F5 in the hybrid. Both are amazing shafts and should treat me well for this year.

Irons, not just for shirts and pants!

For about 5 years, I played the Apex Pro 14's and really liked them. Looking back, I don't think they were the best fitting shafts but that was all pre-THP. :) I went for a fitting to try out the Apex 19s but ended up with Titleist T200's instead. Matched up with Oban CT125 shafts and they were a great combo. I attribute those irons as one of the key changes that helped me drop from just under 11 handicap to 6.5 handicap.

But they weren't perfect. I found myself struggling on par 3s not just left to right but also front to back. The distance range on them was a little to much. For example, I could hit a 7 iron 180 or 160 depending on the strike location. On greens that are only 30 feet deep, thats a big range.

Then Callaway showed the Grandmama team ( @93civiccpe , @Muchmore18 , and @xThor ) the new Apex range, including the Pros and I had to try them. After a fitting for them, I ended up getting the 4iron through AW wedge with Recoil Proto 110F5 shafts. The front to back distance control is much better, and I've never hit irons straighter. Only 4 rounds on them so far, but the feel of these matched to how much control I have on them is addicting. Definitely my gamers going into the Grandaddy.

Wedges Make the World Go Round

I played Vokey's until the MD5 JAWS wedges came out and immediately made the switch. This is my second year on them and I will be staying with them. Originally I had aa 52 deg F grind, 56 deg S grind, and a 60 deg S grind to match up to the T200 AW but with the changes in lofts with the Apex Pros, I am only running 2 wedges: 56 degree S grind bent to 55 deg and a new 60 degree head in the low bounce W grind. The 56 degree uses the same Recoil Proto 110F5 in my irons but the 60 degree is using a 125F4 Recoil proto as I don't use it as a full swing club that often.

This calls for the ole Billy Baroo

Last year I made the switch from my Scotty Cameron Futura 6m CB to a Toulon Las Vegas and I haven't looked back. I was lucky enough to be asked to try out a new putter shaft and its done wonders. The new white hot OG release from Callaway feels really really good so maybe at some point I'll switch it out with an OG 7 or Rossie but for now to start the season, the Las Vegas is still in the bag.

Lemme splain, no it will take too long, let me sum up

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9 deg ( playing at 8), LINQ Purple 7F5 44.5" / Project X Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 45"
Fairway : Callaway Speed 4 wood ( 16.5 deg ), UST Mamiya LINQ Blue M40X 8F5
Hybrid: Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid ( 20 deg ), UST Mamiya LINQ 100H F5
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 4i - AW, Custom UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 100F5
Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws
56 deg S-grind ( 55 deg ) with Custom UST Mamiya Recoil prototype 110F5
60 deg low bounc W-grind with Custom UST Mamiya Recoil prototype 125F4
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas w/ XXXXXX putter shaft

Last edited:
Heck of an intro, and one impressive family golf pedigree!

Super glad you Grandmama players are getting spots in the Grandaddy. That was going to be a fun follow, but this one will be even sweeter!

Looking forward to hearing more and learning what you’ve got in the bag!

Damn thats some good familial golf genes.. good luck on the prep and tournaments!

What a great intro! With that schedule it sounds like you will be going into the GD as a absolute stick! Good luck in your journey and I look forward to seeing the updates!

Wow! Big summer for you! Thanks for the intro look forward to following along. Sounds like an amazing prep for Granddaddy!

I’m glad I’ll be on your team at the Grandaddy (a man must have hope) with that schedule!

Great stuff. This I'd going to be a good thread to follow. Excited to see how you progress through this season leading up to the GD

WITB post updated.

New year, new bag setup. Last year I had a mixed bag of gear from a variety of sources. This year, it follows more of a common theme.

Driver, Fairways, and Hybrids Oh My!
I was playing the Cobra Speedzone that I was given as part of the Distance Bash and loved it. It was everything I needed at the time. Forgiving, looked good, and performed great. A good part of that was the custom fit shaft Purple LINQ 7F5 by none other than @DannyLe who is a staple at the UST Mamiya experiences and frankly one of the best guys in golf. I wasn't much of a hybrid fan but while I was looking for a matching fairway wood, I found the Speedzone hybrid to be damn easy to hit. So I played last year with Cobra gear with UST Mamiya shafts in each one ( LINQ Proto in the 5wood, and Recoil Proto Utility shaft in the hybrid ) and did well with them.

Fast forward to this year, and with the Callaway team giving the Grandmama team a choice of a driver to try out, I selected the Epic Max LS 9 degree and love it. It reminds me a lot of my old Epic Flash SZ but with the forgiveness of the Cobra which to me, is absolutely the best of both worlds. Right now I switching between the LINQ Purple 7F5 and the Project X Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 as my go to shaft choices. Both feel great and each has its benefits.

I liked the Epic Max LS so much, I tried out the Epic Speed and Apex/Apex Pro hybrids and was sold on both. I bought the 4 wood and the Apex Pro 3 hybrid. In both, I reached out to Danny for recommendations and I ended up with the LINQ Blue M40X 8F5 shaft in the 4 wood and the new LINQ Hybrid shaft 100H F5 in the hybrid. Both are amazing shafts and should treat me well for this year.

Irons, not just for shirts and pants!

For about 5 years, I played the Apex Pro 14's and really liked them. Looking back, I don't think they were the best fitting shafts but that was all pre-THP. :) I went for a fitting to try out the Apex 19s but ended up with Titleist T200's instead. Matched up with Oban CT125 shafts and they were a great combo. I attribute those irons as one of the key changes that helped me drop from just under 11 handicap to 6.5 handicap.

But they weren't perfect. I found myself struggling on par 3s not just left to right but also front to back. The distance range on them was a little to much. For example, I could hit a 7 iron 180 or 160 depending on the strike location. On greens that are only 30 feet deep, thats a big range.

Then Callaway showed the Grandmama team ( @93civiccpe , @Muchmore18 , and @xThor ) the new Apex range, including the Pros and I had to try them. After a fitting for them, I ended up getting the 4iron through AW wedge with Recoil Proto 110F5 shafts. The front to back distance control is much better, and I've never hit irons straighter. Only 4 rounds on them so far, but the feel of these matched to how much control I have on them is addicting. Definitely my gamers going into the Grandaddy.

Wedges Make the World Go Round

I played Vokey's until the MD5 JAWS wedges came out and immediately made the switch. This is my second year on them and I will be staying with them. Originally I had aa 52 deg F grind, 56 deg S grind, and a 60 deg S grind to match up to the T200 AW but with the changes in lofts with the Apex Pros, I am only running 2 wedges: 56 degree S grind bent to 55 deg and a new 60 degree head in the low bounce W grind. The 56 degree uses the same Recoil Proto 110F5 in my irons but the 60 degree is using a 125F4 Recoil proto as I don't use it as a full swing club that often.

This calls for the ole Billy Baroo

Last year I made the switch from my Scotty Cameron Futura 6m CB to a Toulon Las Vegas and I haven't looked back. I was lucky enough to be asked to try out a new putter shaft and its done wonders. The new white hot OG release from Callaway feels really really good so maybe at some point I'll switch it out with an OG 7 or Rossie but for now to start the season, the Las Vegas is still in the bag.

Solid setup. I wanna hit that LinQ Purple. So I guess I need to be a teammate? 🤷‍♂️

Great intro, you had me hooked with the Hobbit title!

Quick update, the golf season is officially open up in these parts per GHIN. Time to go record some scores!

All the early warm spring weather is gone now unfortunately. Playing tomorrow at 9 AM and its going to be 42 degrees at tee time. My first league day is Sat the 25th and playing a really nice private course.

I've gotten 4 rounds in this spring so far while trying out the new gear. Usually muddy, wet rounds but its good to get them in. This Saturday will be #5 and the first one I can post. The other were remarkably consistent for early in the year: 79, 78, 79, 80. That last round ( 80 ) was with a triple bogey on the last par 5 and super shaggy long greens ( no birdies. :( ). Same course where I shot 74 last year and same one I am playing tomorrow.

I am not sure how I missed this thread a few days ago! Nice intro!

Having gotten to know Sean a bit over the last year and change, he is a heck of a guy and a very talented golfer. It’s going to be a blast following along with his journey.

Guy can’t make a mixed drink worth a darn though. No presentation or flair whatsoever.

Great intro and nice setup. It appears your baseball playing days have left you with some good speed in your swing. The THP experiences all sound so awesome I hope to participate in one someday.

Looking forward to following along. You have an amazing journey ahead of you. Sounds like you also have plenty of help to get any swing issues straightened out and to get in prime shape.

Weekend update ( only 33 more weekends to go! ).

I ended up playing both Saturday and Sunday. Both days it was a swamp due to the 3 days of rain during the week. Typical spring weather around these parts.

Saturday's round was a little drier due to the course I played has better drainage so the fairways and rough were wet but didn't have much standing water while the greens were thick and soaked. Putting was a challenge. The rough around the greens hadn't been mowed so any miss was badly penalizing. And pretty much zero roll on anything. This is the kind of stuff I was dealing with. :)

IMG_20210417_100414.jpg
Off the tee I was doing well but my chipping sucked and had a couple of 3 putts with the greens how they were. Absolutely hate chipping around the greens with super soggy conditions. :mad::mad:

Ended up with an 81 ( 41-40 ) with a triple bogey on the 18th par 5 with a large, forced carry pond that guards those who are bold stupid enough to go for it in 2......like me. 1 birdie, 2 double bogeys to match and a bunch of pars.

Sunday's round was the complete opposite. Still wet but the fairways and rough had standing water everywhere but the greens were rolling really clean and true. Getting no roll. Lost a ball in the middle of the fairway because it plugged. Just gone. No signs. Had multiple drives bounce backwards after impact. Yeah, one of those days.

IMG_20210418_105359.jpg

IMG_20210418_130608_01.jpg

Drained a few 15-ish footers which kept my otherwise dismal 42 on the front slogging through the muck becoming a 45 or worse. Back nine was better as I finally figured out how to hit a ball when it goes down into the ground before launching which really limits any sort of spin/compression you can get on the ball. 39 on the back with 7 pars, 2 bogeys.

Driver, 4 wood, hybrid was working well ( and long ). Irons I had a bit of a problem tugging them left, specifically the lower irons ( 7-AW ). Not sure if that was me subconsciously making up for the wet footing or if I am playing them to far in the middle of my stance or what but I'll figure it out.

First league round is next week and forecast is high of 59 and partly sunny so should be a great day! Time to go hit the range.

And on a side note, I walked both rounds this weekend which ended up totaling over 38000 steps. Normally, I can walk that no problem but because I was pushing my Clicgear through mud and muck for each of those 38000 steps, boy are my calves burning. I've played soccer since I was 5 so I am no stranger to burning calves but man.....pushing a cart in mud sucks. :ROFLMAO:

Having gotten to know Sean a bit over the last year and change, he is a heck of a guy and a very talented golfer. It’s going to be a blast following along with his journey.

Much appreciated bud. Always up for another visit with the Bash brothers. Just have to plan something out.

Guy can’t make a mixed drink worth a darn though. No presentation or flair whatsoever.

Sounds like your off to a great start! Pitching and chipping in mucky conditions never goes well(for me at least) Once things dry out: WATCH OUT TEAM CALLAWAY!

And on a side note, I walked both rounds this weekend which ended up totaling over 38000 steps. Normally, I can walk that no problem but because I was pushing my Clicgear through mud and muck for each of those 38000 steps, boy are my calves burning. I've played soccer since I was 5 so I am no stranger to burning calves but man.....pushing a cart in mud sucks. :ROFLMAO:
That's decent hike! And I agree - pushing a cart in mud or thick wet stuff is not fun! But, I'd take that opportunity in a heartbeat right now! We're still about 3 weeks away from golf season here.

Those Apex Pro irons are gorgeous! I really want to try them!

End of season update.

Haven't updated this thread lately mainly because I just have been playing to much golf ( not really a thing ) and work has been punishing last couple of months. However, since today is the last day of the handicap USGA season up in these parts. I thought I would recap the last part of my year and setup for weekly updates until we leave for the Grandaddy.

Some quick highlights:
  • Finished the season with 43 total rounds which isn't bad considering we didn't keeping handicap tracking until April 15th. I think for all rounds, I got just about 50 rounds in both reported and unreported.
  • I started off the season just shy of 8 handicap. I finished it at a 4.3. A huge HUGE change over the season.
  • Had my lowest 9 hole score ever: 32 ( 4 under )
  • Scored 9 rounds at 75 or under, including 3 in competitions
  • Finished 7 in the NYSGA amatuer series events for total score out of over 700 players. Unfortunately the year end championship got rained out so didn't get a chance for the cup.
  • Qualified for my league's year end championship ( 1 of 4 ) which is played as a 36 hole cumulative score tournament. Cut after 18 to the top 4 scores. Then total wins it. Second day is on a different course from the tips. In this case, a 7200 yard ex-LPGA course. Ended up finishing second over all.

Overally I am super happy with my game. The changes I've made to the swing as well as switching almost all my shafts to graphite shafts from UST Mamiya and a huge thank you goes out to @DannyLe for everything. I am 100% sure I don't drop almost 50% of my cap in 1 year without the Recoil Proto iron shafts and new fairway/hybrid shafts that I played all year. I can never say enough good things about Danny, his knowledge, and his willingness to share good info and the occasional "Stop bitching and swing harder you p***y". :D

Throw those shafts on the new Callaway clubs ( Epic Max LS, Epic Speed 4w, Apex pro Irons ...etc. ) it's been like a light switch. Makes the idea of getting fit at the ECPC with my Grandaddy brothers that much more exciting.

Going into the Grandaddy, I didn't expect to be in this spot. I am really happy with my setup and if I ended up fitting into the exact same stuff( highly unlikely ) I would be happy with it. The new releases of the Super Hybrid and Utility Wood have me really excited and I am a bit of an iron junky so I can't wait to see what's on the "super secret table". The fitting day is going to be a complete and utter blur but its going to be amazing.

Finally, we've got 37 days to go before the Gdaddy fitting day. I am playing in an indoor 9 hole sim league to keep my swing going while the weather outside turns from lovely fall to crappy winter snow. Next round is tomorrow and we are playing the front 9 of Kingswood in Melbourne. I'll keep this thread updated with pics, stats and some videos of the swing as I try to keep it at a 4.3 and not slide back to double digits in mere weeks. :D

Last edited:
Can't wait to follow your story at Grandaddy

Weekly sim golf update.

Played Kingswood in Melbourne, Australia. Just the front 9 on a windy day ( 10-14 mph winds ), fast greens, and firm fairways. I was playing with 3 other league members all of whom had maxed out their handicap at 36. The way the league is setup, everything is based on the lowest handicap as baseline and adjusted from there. With a 6 HC in the league so far, that means I am the bottom of the pile.

Net result is I was giving each of them 30 strokes for 18 which translates to 15 strokes for the 9 were playing league. Not exactly a small number of pops to give away.

Played pretty well. Iron and wedges were on fire. The setup gives 10 ft gimmes because putting is a pain so I had a 20 foot diameter circle to shoot for. The greens were insane. So so so fast. If that's how the are in real life, I feel sorry for the members in Melbourne.

Ended up shooting 34 with 4 birdies and 2 bogeys at the end on just insane greens. And yes, on hole number 6, I teed off first, put it to within 3 feet and it gave me the gimme birdie. I then watched 20 shots until I was up again for my next tee shot on 7.

IMG_20211102_210426.jpg

On to next week when I am sure my handicap will drop significantly and I get to give even MORE strokes to whomever I am up against. :D

Back