Things I’ve learned….

PackersGirl

2022 Grandaddy Alum
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Friday is our anniversary, 17 years of being married to @Hibs . We’ve been through so many trials, life changing and wonderful events in these 17 years. We’ve laughed, cried, barely hung on and have come out stronger each time something comes our way.

I’ve learned many things along the way:
Sometimes I talk when I should be listening.
I sometimes get upset when I don’t get my way.
I married the most patient man I’ve ever met.
I’m not as funny as I think when he’s grumpy.
I’m not always right.
My way isn’t the only way.
He has horrible taste in music.
I have learned how to tune horrible songs out.
Laughter is the best medicine.
We will make it through anything that comes our way.
I make a better grilled cheese than he does.
He will do anything for his family and friends.
We make each other better.

So, what is it that you guys have learned throughout your marriage/relationship?

22 years here.

It helps to have your own interests - and the time apart to pursue them.
But it's critical to have interests that you share - and the time together to pursue them.

22 years here.

It helps to have your own interests - and the time apart to pursue them.
But it's critical to have interests that you share - and the time together to pursue them.
Yes!!!

That’s golf clap worthy.

My wife says the same thing about some of the music I like.🤣

Happy Anniversary, kids!

Congrats and happy anniversary!

Anniversaries deserved to be celebrated, seems like they are becoming more and more rare in today's relationships. Congrats to y'all!!

Mental health is important
Also listen to understand not to respond.

18 years. biggest thing i’ve learned is to continue to date my wife. our marriage is at its best when we make time for each other, out of the house, away from the stresses of life.

I’m not lucky to have her. She’s not lucky to have me. We’re lucky to have each other.

Being correct doesn’t make me right.

She reacts to belly rubs differently than I do. Same story with dad jokes.

Choosing something for dinner is harder than negotiating world peace.

IMG_0373.jpeg

44 years for us, and your list is very familiar, with me in your spot, and my wife in Hib's.

She listens to the worst music, fortunately she still likes some of what I listen to, so we listen to a selection of compromise tunes from my music when we're together.

I do almost all the cooking (not just the grilled cheese), and we're both better off because of it.

She is the love of my life, but we were also best friends before we were married, still are, and always will be.

Congratulations, kiddoes!!!

The (in October) 43 best years of my life.

Three of her best years.

I like to say, "You're gonna find what you're looking for." Faults? They're certainly there. The things we saw in our early years? They're there, too. Look for the latter.

It's never time to give up, and it's never time to quit learning.

Friday is our anniversary, 17 years of being married to @Hibs . We’ve been through so many trials, life changing and wonderful events in these 17 years. We’ve laughed, cried, barely hung on and have come out stronger each time something comes our way.

I’ve learned many things along the way:
Sometimes I talk when I should be listening.
I sometimes get upset when I don’t get my way.
I married the most patient man I’ve ever met.
I’m not as funny as I think when he’s grumpy.
I’m not always right.
My way isn’t the only way.
He has horrible taste in music.
I have learned how to tune horrible songs out.
Laughter is the best medicine.
We will make it through anything that comes our way.
I make a better grilled cheese than he does.
He will do anything for his family and friends.
We make each other better.

So, what is it that you guys have learned throughout your marriage/relationship?
What a phenomenal post. Cheers to you and @Hibs!

20 years married here. Communication is key. Humor is a close second. Find things you can enjoy together, and give each other space when needed. Dont criticize the things your spouse enjoys. Let them have their thing, you have yours.
Dont be selfish, but dont forget to take care of your self.
A good household budget makes everything easier.
One thing to remember, your kids will eventually move out and have their own families. Your spouse will still be there when they are gone. If you constantly put your kids and carrer ahead of your spouse, you will be lonely when you need someone the most.
These are just a few over the past 20 years.

I love your list. Facing life and all it has to offer together is the most important thing.

Having recently lost the love of my life I can assure you the things you think are really important likely are not. Things you take for granted likely are. Cherish each other. If each of you are more concerned for the other than you are for yourself, that's a great place to be. It sounds like that's where you are.

After the mutual end of a marriage …..

l met a girl , who liked me, fell
In love with me , and made me a better person because of her, treats me like a king. Does little things , and big things , surprises , organises , and compromises
makes me laugh and when it’s something that life throws at you , is closer than a shadow , and pragmatic .

We’ve travelled overseas , rented , bought and fully renovated a home that’s now fully owned .

And equally my family and kids love her to bits

Yes life’s pretty good , and some relationships don’t take effort they just are naturally , amazingly good because of the other.

It will be 19 years for my wife and I. I think communication is the number one thing I have learned. Unspoken expectations and unclear directions just muck up any relationship so we talk a lot. My saying is that communication is the lubrication of human relationships, without it there is friction.

Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

15 years here last month. We too have been through a lot together, good and bad. But she’s my best friend, BY FAR, and she makes me a much better version of me.

It will be 19 years for my wife and I. I think communication is the number one thing I have learned. Unspoken expectations and unclear directions just muck up any relationship so we talk a lot. My saying is that communication is the lubrication of human relationships, without it there is friction.
Well that went in direction l
Never considered ) lol

Congrats on the 17 years. I have been married for almost 29 years. Listening and understanding are very important to me and to us.

Congratulations!

We’re close to celebrating our first wedding anniversary that is 32 years over due. Things that we’ve learned after our long trek to get here:

1. Don’t discount what you think you know about love when you’re 17 years old. You might be right. 😉

2. I don’t believe “people change”. I think you get lost in the world, covered up, disguised, and adapt to your surroundings. You are still in there.

3. Date your wife/husband. You can still have fun, it’s OK.

4. At the end of the day, we figure the crazy path it took for us to get here was the only way we would have 4 daughters!!

:giggle:

Back