THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

The one thing I need to really work on is longer shots with the ball below my feet - and there are a lot of them at RNK! I had a couple shots on par 5's that I had a chance to get on in 2, ( granted, most times I wouldn't try to reach, but one was on 17, and a match could come down to that ) and a couple times on par 4's after mis-hits with the driver, but mis-hit my second because the ball was below my feet. Some of that may be a stabilizing issue because of my knee, but I have always struggled with that shot. It WILL be fixed by RR.

Hey BB, While there is obviously a lot of potential for uneven lies at RNK, keep in mind that the course played longer on Saturday due to the rain we got the night before. A lot of those awkward lies could have run out to a flatter position in dryer conditions. I am thinking we will see those dryer firmer conditions in early July. I must have left 5 or 6 putts way short on Saturday. I couldn't get the feel for how slow the greens were that day. Just an observation.

Mesa....shhhhhh.

Or show them how to hit into all the bunkers.

This may have been asked already so sorry if it was. For those who got a practice trip in what do you think is going to the most difficult hole/part of the course for you? And what did the course show you that you need to work on the most?

Rob,
Looks like Mike (MBurnham) and myself are looking at the possibility of a weekday roadtrip in the first couple of weeks of May. I have a couple of dates that won't work (May 9th and 11th) but otherwise things are looking open for both of us. Let me know if any particular dates work for you guys, and we can fit in a "friendly" RNK round. :)

Hey Deuce, I'm not sure if the MD guys can make it back to RNK during your timeframe, but if your looking for another player, I would be happy to jump in. Let me know what day you guy's come up with and we can get out.
Deuce...Yeah, Mseamann is correct at least on my end. If I do make another trip down, it'll have to be most likely early June. My May is only going to allow for local rounds, it was a 15 hour day on Saturday, which was a lot of fun. But I don't have any weekends in May where I can do that.

Would have loved to joined you guys for a "friendly" Thanks for the invite.

Mesa....shhhhhh.

That would be a good thing. I plan on taking notes during this round so knowing what NOT to do will be as useful as knowing what to do. ;)

This may have been asked already so sorry if it was. For those who got a practice trip in what do you think is going to the most difficult hole/part of the course for you? And what did the course show you that you need to work on the most?
Really good question. In our group on Saturday me, Big Ball and RNG, we commented several times "oh this could be round changing hole" or "if the match comes down to this hole, it could be interesting.

I've played the course twice now, and hole 10 has been a round wrecker both times for me, I was in a bad position off the tee both times, and then ended up with a tough layup. i actually hit a great shot from the cross bunkers on Saturday into the green from about 130, but I was already laying 5 (due to tee troubles, by the time I got there)

the other hole, is 16. You have to be left, but not too far left off that hole. Also as Big Ball found out, he hit a great drive down the middle, but was left with a hanging downhill lie from about 180 yards. Being that hole comes late in the 2nd match, it could be a deciding hole.

Hey ChristopherKee...what's your schedule look like the next couple weeks, either weekday or more likely weekend. I'd be up for getting a round in with you. MSemann777 mentioned coming up to NOVA to get a chance to play with more of the team, maybe we could arrange it around that if it works.
Let.me know I may be able to join . Won't be able to play in the RR but can still cheer you guys on and nag you during some practice rounds. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Let.me know I may be able to join . Won't be able to play in the RR but can still cheer you guys on and nag you during some practice rounds. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Definitely!! I'm not sure but will work for him or not, but he's now the only DMV team member I haven't met or played with. So it'd be good to get out with him and anyone else that wants to join in.

Really good question. In our group on Saturday me, Big Ball and RNG, we commented several times "oh this could be round changing hole" or "if the match comes down to this hole, it could be interesting.

I've played the course twice now, and hole 10 has been a round wrecker both times for me, I was in a bad position off the tee both times, and then ended up with a tough layup. i actually hit a great shot from the cross bunkers on Saturday into the green from about 130, but I was already laying 5 (due to tee troubles, by the time I got there)

the other hole, is 16. You have to be left, but not too far left off that hole. Also as Big Ball found out, he hit a great drive down the middle, but was left with a hanging downhill lie from about 180 yards. Being that hole comes late in the 2nd match, it could be a deciding hole.

That's exactly what happened to me, I feel a little better now. Into the wind I made the smart play short of the hazard...then proceeded to chunk it into the creek. It was the smart play until then. :banghead:

That's exactly what happened to me, I feel a little better now. Into the wind I made the smart play short of the hazard...then proceeded to chunk it into the creek. It was the smart play until then. :banghead:

That's what BB did, and it stopped just short of the hazard, then it was another tough lie and he came up short of the green.

I was further right about 230 from the green, and had no dreams of that, but i was only about 195 from the area short and left of the green. I tried for that and caught it a bit heavy with my 5 wood and came up in the hazard. Very tough hole.

Good question, the elevation is very tough but the issue is the looks from the tee boxes. It plays tricks on you and doesn't look nearly as imposing until you get into the fairways or rough. Then you look up at a green that is 40 feet above you, I can speak for everyone else but tbanks and I spoke about this numerous time during the round on Saturday. We even had a great coach who has played the course before diveguy and he was a valuable asset to both of us he gave us a little local knowledge about each of the holes. That didn't mean we hit it there every time but it was nice to know what we were dealing with hole to hole. Knowing where to hit golf shots is one thing being able to actually do it is another.

Holes 10 and 11 are a tough way to start a back 9 and they will be challenging for even the best player. Hole 8 also kicked our collective rear ends on Saturday.

I have more pictures that I can put up here for people to check out but like I said in the other thread they do not do the elevation changes justice at all...

I have more pictures that I can put up here for people to check out but like I said in the other thread they do not do the elevation changes justice at all...
How many of you guys have played Tot Hill and/or Tobacco Road? Lots of things you are saying sounds similar to things that go on there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How many of you guys have played Tot Hill and/or Tobacco Road? Lots of things you are saying sounds similar to things that go on there.

I not played either place.

That's it. You have to hit longer clubs than you think to these up hill greens, and you have to hit them over some really deep bunkers. If the wind is up (like it was a bit on Sat.) it gets REAL tough.

Looking back at my stats.... I hit 9 fairways, and 1 green. With my hcp, I'm trying to bogey every hole, I had 3 doubles to go with 3 pars and 6 bogeys. And then the dreaded 6 others. Once you get into trouble on this course, it's really hard to get out, things can get ugly in a hurry. With the match play formats, holes will turn around quickly.

Finally, I did not have a great day. I did not break 100, but with the slope rating from the black tees my hcp actually went down from 23.9 to 23.8. That should tell you something.

Will be interesting to know if there are many similarities ... at least with Tot Hill. RNK sounds like more of a challenge and the course slope certainly seems to indicate that. With my new swing adjustments, I think I'm pretty close to putting the 6i in the bag. That could come in handy (as opposed to the 6h that currently resides in that slot), particularly if I need extra height to clear hazards.

Good question, the elevation is very tough but the issue is the looks from the tee boxes. It plays tricks on you and doesn't look nearly as imposing until you get into the fairways or rough. Then you look up at a green that is 40 feet above you, I can speak for everyone else but tbanks and I spoke about this numerous time during the round on Saturday. We even had a great coach who has played the course before diveguy and he was a valuable asset to both of us he gave us a little local knowledge about each of the holes. That didn't mean we hit it there every time but it was nice to know what we were dealing with hole to hole. Knowing where to hit golf shots is one thing being able to actually do it is another.

Holes 10 and 11 are a tough way to start a back 9 and they will be challenging for even the best player. Hole 8 also kicked our collective rear ends on Saturday.

yeah #8 is hard first few time you play it, once you figure out what will put you near or just inside the 150 marker you figure out which tree to aim at and just hope the flag is near there

The pin was cut on the back right of 8 which is unusual. It's the only spot on the green that you can see from the fairway. When the pin is cut left or center, you need to pick out a tree in the distance to aim at. Interesting hole. Hole 11 is my nemesis even though I made par Saturday. You really need to commit to the approach. While 16 is a monster at least you can see the putting surface from the front bunkers. That's not a luxury from the front bunkers on 11. Evil.

Mesa....shhhhhh.

I think one can get advice directly from the designer on this course and it still wouldn't matter. When RNK wants to eat, it eats.

I have played both and that came up in conversation on Saturday. I actually prefer RNK to both of them. I felt they were much more "target" golf. I think RNK, let's you hit it and go after it. You just better be on point. As T2GRN18 said, this isn't a course you can overpower (not that I overpower any courses...ha) but it is a course that you can make some pars and even birdies on. But again as huhh just said and I have said previously, you can get going sideways in a big hurry.

Last edited:
Sounds like the course challenged everyone's game. Should make for some interesting matches in July and mental fatigue will probably be a factor as well if the course is beating people up.

I have played both and that came up in conversation on Saturday. I actually prefer RNK to both of them. I felt they were much more "target" golf. I think RNK, let's you hit it and go after it. You just better be on point. As T2GRN18 said, this isn't a course you can overpower (not that I overpower any courses...ha) but it is a course that you can make some pars and even birdies on. But again as huhh just said and I have said previously, you can get going sideways in a big hurry.
Interesting thoughts Rob. I'm actually ok* with giving away a hole that has gone sideways, if the rest of the course gives me plenty of opportunities to grab it back elsewhere. The goal - for this high handicapper - is as follows: limit the holes I go sideways on, and things should play out just fine.

*Not worried about the number of strokes I accumulate throughout the two rounds. Goal is to just be better by a single stroke at each hole. If they shoot 10, but I shoot a 9 ... I'll be satisfied.

Interesting thoughts Rob. I'm actually ok* with giving away a hole that has gone sideways, if the rest of the course gives me plenty of opportunities to grab it back elsewhere. The goal - for this high handicapper - is as follows: limit the holes I go sideways on, and things should play out just fine.

*Not worried about the number of strokes I accumulate throughout the two rounds. Goal is to just be better by a single stroke at each hole. If they shoot 10, but I shoot a 9 ... I'll be satisfied.
Did I not mention how holes 1,2,10, 11 and 17 had me going sideways :D I would have been fine with one also...ha

I did par the No. 1 handicap hole, did I mention that yet :bananadance:

Did I not mention how holes 1,2,10, 11 and 17 had me going sideways :D I would have been fine with one also...ha

I did par the No. 1 handicap hole, did I mention that yet :bananadance:
I'm completely fine with my competition going sideways alongside me! :wink:

I have never played match play before. When I have an other on the scorecard, I sometimes press because I want to get those strokes back (immediately) to keep my score respectable. Match play may* help me reset and forget it. I'm not playing for a score, I'm playing for a hole. I just need to keep myself from taking too many risks, play to my strengths, and hopefully put pressure on my opponents by making solid choices on the course.

*Or will I instead press to get that hole back immediately? Will be interesting to see how I react.

I'm completely fine with my competition going sideways alongside me! :wink:

I have never played match play before. When I have an other on the scorecard, I sometimes press because I want to get those strokes back (immediately) to keep my score respectable. Match play may help me reset and forget it. I'm not playing for a score, I'm playing for a hole. I just need to keep myself from taking too many risks, play to my strengths, and hopefully put pressure on my opponents by making solid choices on the course.
Sounds like we need to get together and get you ready for some matchplay ;)

Back