THP tackles Bethpage Black

Dean, if you could play Bethpage Black or Turning Stone which would you choose? And you can not say both lol

Dean, if you could play Bethpage Black or Turning Stone which would you choose? And you can not say both lol
Bethpage and it's not even close for me. And Turning Stone is in my top 5 of all courses I've ever played.

2 very different courses. I know I can score at Shenandoah if played in the weather we played at Bethpage. Bethpage is tougher tee to green, but the greens were easier(unless they want to make the pins real tough on some). I'd probably lean towards Bethpage because it has the credentials.

Wow. They have always checked my id when paying. I guess I look unreliable. ;)

I haven't played it in that kind of heat. I'm not sure I could make it around until I lose the 70 pounds I'm working off.

Pete went down 7 or 8 clicks on his belt.

That says a lot right there. So I guess my next question if when do I get an invite to play Bethpage black :p

Bethpage and it's not even close for me. And Turning Stone is in my top 5 of all courses I've ever played.

What's funny when it came to our pace is that we didn't even play bad. We weren't searching for our balls that much at all it was more so just a pace we had settled into and were comfortable with.

That says a lot right there. So I guess my next question if when do I get an invite to play Bethpage black :p
To expand on that just a tiny bit, I've played Shenendoah a handful of times and Kaluyat once. I've never played Atonyote. On 8/23, I'm playing 36 there: 18 on Kaluyat and 18 on Atonyote. I doubt playing either will change my mind.

I've been thinking a lot about the course over the last two days. I think it's just about perfect from a challenge standpoint. IF you can keep the ball in the fairway, and IF you can hit a green with a long iron, I do think it is score able. Neither of those things are all that easy. On both 16 and 18, I thought I had hit perfect tee shots right down the gut of the fairway. In both instances my ball rolled through the fairway and two paces into the left rough. In neither case was I able to put the ball on the green with my approach (F'n rough). And missing the greens generally led to more trouble as the rough was thicker and deeper around the greens.

Pete went down 7 or 8 clicks on his belt.
7 was the final number. I wasn't far from having to break out the scissors to shorten the strap.

To expand on that just a tiny bit, I've played Shenendoah a handful of times and Kaluyat once. I've never played Atonyote. On 8/23, I'm playing 36 there: 18 on Kaluyat and 18 on Atonyote. I doubt playing either will change my mind.

I've been thinking a lot about the course over the last two days. I think it's just about perfect from a challenge standpoint. IF you can keep the ball in the fairway, and IF you can hit a green with a long iron, I do think it is score able. Neither of those things are all that easy. On both 16 and 18, I thought I had hit perfect tee shots right down the gut of the fairway. In both instances my ball rolled through the fairway and two paces into the left rough. In neither case was I able to put the ball on the green with my approach (F'n rough). And missing the greens generally led to more trouble as the rough was thicker and deeper around the greens.

on 15 and 18 I was searching for US Open pars. Drives in the rough leading to long shots up hill to greens. Played for position out of fairway and hit wedges in to greens and had 15 and 10 feet for par on both(made bogey). It's not the fun way to play, but the rough kind of dictates it.

on 15 and 18 I was searching for US Open pars. Drives in the rough leading to long shots up hill to greens. Played for position out of fairway and hit wedges in to greens and had 15 and 10 feet for par on both(made bogey). It's not the fun way to play, but the rough kind of dictates it.
I can't wait to play it again.

I have been thinking about the round a lot as well. I really think the course is hard enough but very fair at the same time. Keep it in the fairway off the tee and the chances are there. Getting it on the green is the big task because the rough is just no fun.

Anytime I was in the rough all I wanted to do for the most part was just advance it 80-100 yards back in the fairway

As for marshals. There were lots of grounds crews out on the course and you'd see a random person in a cart every now and then. Not sure if they were marshals or not.

I do not believe there are any marshals, I have yet to see one in my three years going there. The people you saw were either grounds crew or cart girls.

And for those wanting to play, keep in touch with the NYC, Long Island, North Jersey thread. I am trying to set up a foursome once a month until the course closes.

I do not believe there are any marshals, I have yet to see one in my three years going there. The people you saw were either grounds crew or cart girls.

And for those wanting to play, keep in touch with the NYC, Long Island, North Jersey thread. I am trying to set up a foursome once a month until the course closes.

I would have killed for a cart girl haha

You play the black time to time. What would you say is your avg length of round?

My first time I did twilight in about 4 hours, course was empty and I was by myself. When I went with a couple THPers earlier this month we were sitting around 5.5 hours, very little wait time.

Let's talk about this next week!

Answer to number 1: I told JB that the round didn't feel that long. In fact talking to Pete on the way home, we played a tournament round earlier in the year that was about 5hrs 45 minutes. When I told him that this round was only 20 minutes faster, we were both surprised. Bethpage is a very large course and walking only. I would imagine if they had a set pace for it, it would be around 5 hours. This day with the heat everyone was moving just a bit slower. With that said, I think we waited on 3 tee boxes the entire day. So while the time shows that it was as slow round, the pace didn't feel it. If that makes any sense.

As for marshals. There were lots of grounds crews out on the course and you'd see a random person in a cart every now and then. Not sure if they were marshals or not.

Answer to number 2. Anyone can register. However if you are an out of stater, you can only reserve a tee time 2 days in advanced as opposed to 7. I highlighted the article with the method used to register and reserve a tee time earlier in the thread. However I will post it under this spoiler tag as well. Side note, not sure if it's the norm or not, but all guys in my group were charged the state rate, which was $80. I've read lots of accounts where they check ID's when you check in for your time and charge your accordingly. However that did not happen, they checked my ID and said 80 a person.

Thank u. I had a feeling this was the case and that is was just the pace of play

Might be willing to fly from Dallas for this ��

Fun to read along. With my experience on pace of play, the first time I played the black course it took 5.5 hours as well. Its just a long course, did not feel that long. The last time I played there the course was empty, as a foursome it still took 4.25 hours and that's with no waiting on any hole and everyone keeping the ball in play and playing well. I have also never seen a Marshall on the course, just maintenance. The starter does a good job spacing the groups off the first tee. The general rule is once they get behind the trees on the first hole you can tee off.

What I would recommend for anyone that hasn't played there is even if you have a later tee time, check in with the starter when you are ready. The first round I was supposed to tee off at 2:30 and we ended up going out at 1:00. They do not wait around for groups. In fact I've never actually gone off at my tee time, its always earlier. When I say when you are ready I mean fully warmed up and can tee off immediately. If you are on the practice green right by the first tee, the starter will yell out you and rush you when you are up if you are not waiting by the gate. Its part of the experience and really messes with people that are not used to the New York attitude.

Look what I found! Perfectly good 3W, how awesome is that. Too bad I'm not a lefty, so who wants it? :angel:

0724152350_1.jpg

Where did you find it

I work with one of the caddies and told him this story and asked if he knew anything about a tree hugging 3W. Said he did and brought it in to work for me.

I likely will never make a round at Bethpage, and I live on the other side of the country, yet this has been one of the best threads going the past week or so.

Unbelievable about the 3 wood. Too funny.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I work with one of the caddies and told him this story and asked if he knew anything about a tree hugging 3W. Said he did and brought it in to work for me.
That is amazing. I bet Thechosen1 is going to be stoked.

Back