THPers Over Seventy

I don't think you'll be sorry! I'm assuming from your THP name that you were born in 1943. It's TIME for senior flex!!

I am going to take the plunge, ordered a senior flex shaft to put in my driver. An adapter also, now have a stiff, regular and senior flex shafts that fit my driver. Hoping senoir flex gives me back some distance.

I put a senior shaft in my Ping G400 driver about a month ago. It helped me pick up a few yards and my drives are straighter. I always tell people once you reach 70 "straight is the new long".

I put a sr shaft in my G400 3 wood and found the stock shaft very whippy. I cut it down making it a 4 wood and it was less whippy, I may not be ready for a sr shaft just yet. But, eventually.

You know.....the next logical question is...."WHEN will I need to go to Ladies shafts to keep my distance???" I'm sure I'll do it grudgingly, and when I do, you better believe that those shafts will be black in color, and the "L" will be mysteriously scratched out....!!! :D. Of course, now we're talking about playing into our 80's, which I fully intend to do!

What I've researched, a ladies and sr shaft are essentially the same, just different length.

75 yr old Professional Amateur Golfer here. Play 2-3 times a week in winter and 5-6 times a week in summer.. with sometimes 13 days in a row. Eye sight is perfect so much so all the young guys ask me to watch their ball off the Tee Box. Thanks to Cataract Surgery I can see a golf ball at 250-300 yards out there. Reg flex in all my clubs except during winter I put in a senior shaft in the Driver due to too many clothes slow my swing down a bit. plus sometimes it is wet here in Seattle , I am guessing I loose 5-10 mph swing speed when all bundled up. Shot my age 2 times so far in January, about 14 times last year. Best part about playing golf at 75 is beating the young guys with the short game when they out drive me by 50 -75 yards. Love to see the look on their face when I win a hole and the Match in Match Play. :love::love::love:

What I've researched, a ladies and sr shaft are essentially the same, just different length.

Not really -- most Wood shafts come 46" long - no matter the flex. The weight is usually a little lighter on a Ladies Flex and the Torque is generally a little higher Number when compared to a Senior Flex Shaft. After install the length is Butt trimmed to a length specified by the Club fitter or the golfer. Seniors can and may have a shorter length club and ladies may or may not have a longer shafted club. I made up a driver for one of the Ladies with whom I golf with now and then, she swings a 47.5" driver in senior flex.;)

I don't think you'll be sorry! I'm assuming from your THP name that you were born in 1943. It's TIME for senior flex!!
Yes, born in 1943. I put it off I guess because of surboness, but yes it's over due.

Just checking in on my fellow septuagenarians to make sure we're all breathing and upright.....:D. Seriously, I thought I'd ask those of you who
are stuck in northern climates what, if anything, you're doing to keep your hand in golfing wise.

For Christmas a year ago, I asked for and got a practice putting carpet, 8-10 feet long,
but marked with parallel and perpendicular lines for alignment purposes. I have that set up in the basement,
and since Christmas I have made it a point to hit 40-50 putts per day. Sometimes I putt 4 footers, sometimes 5 and even 6 footers, figuring these are
the ones you HAVE to make each round to save pars or bogies. I have 4 or 5 putters of various styles, and I often vary which one(s) I use. I find that
I putt about the same with any of them (but my trusty old Odyssey Rossie II remains my 'gamer.')

Then, since chipping is probably the weakest part of my game, I practice about the same number of chips, concentrating on SOLID CONTACT, esp. off
the tightly woven carpet we have in the basement....it's a lot less forgiving than grass on the golf course! I take the seat cushion off the couch, prop
it up for a backstop, and chip about 50 balls off of it using my PW, GW, and SW. You get so you can tell whether the chip would have been a good
one or not through the solidness of contact. All of this takes me about 30 minutes out of my "old retired guy's" day.

So, that's about the extent of it right now......heading to FLA for a couple of weeks in February, so hopefully I'll get to spend some quality range and
course time there. If anyone else has an indoor practice routines that you use during the winter, I'd love to hear them.....!!

Don't have any place to practice, except outside. So winter time is down time.

post-2876-0-70432400-1464874326.jpg

I was in Florida for the last two weeks and played four different courses. Since I didn't have "local knowledge" I decided to be sure to play one more club than the yardage I calculated. For example I normally play a seven iron from 130 to 135 yards on my home course. During my away rounds I went to the six iron unless it was downhill or with the wind. It worked really well. I only was long a few times. I don't use a range finder but I'm usually pretty close by using sprinlerheads, fairway markers and pin sheets to get the yardage. Anyway, I played here in Charlotte and used the same strategy because the temp was in the 50s and the course was pretty wet. I shot 81 from 6250 yards. My point is: older players need to focus on "how many" not "how". Of course I wish I could still play a 155 to 160 yard seven iron. However a par or birdie made with a 130 yard six iron is still a par or birdie.

Good thought....We're heading down in a couple of weeks, weather permitting. I'll keep your strategy in mind....!!

Back