Time between last shot and pre shot routine

Wyzyguy

Reaction score
My pre shot routine is pretty consistent. I do not really take any more or less time over a shot unless it is a very unique lie or stance. With that said. Last year I had good success shifting out of golf between last shot & pre shot routine. My normal group are typically walkers and we have some time between shots. I started talking about anything but golf. I found when I got to my ball my mind was fresh and ready to figure the shot. At the end of the round I found less mental fatigue.

Any one else have a similar method to share?

I dont have a preshot routine. I have a trigger in that as soon as I have my aim right, I get into stance and then pull the trigger.

I find a lot of routines are mundane and necessary for people for some reason or another, and thats cool, but just too slow for me personally.

Anytime I can golf with fellow THP'ers, that usually helps me from shot to shot as the round is usually lighthearted and smooth. I definitely play better golf when I'm less focused between shots and then dial in 100% when I get to the ball.

I like your plan of action quite a bit. Generally, in my normal playing groups, golf is the last topic of conversation during the round. You're playing golf, but you're talking life. And when I'm walking from my last shot to my next shot, I'm usually on my phone, daydreaming, or simply taking in my surroundings (I still say golf courses are the prettiest places to take a hike​).

I dont have a preshot routine. I have a trigger in that as soon as I have my aim right, I get into stance and then pull the trigger.

I find a lot of routines are mundane and necessary for people for some reason or another, and thats cool, but just too slow for me personally.

Ditto. Once I figure out what type of shot I am going to hit, I take aim, step up and swing. Only time I deviate from that is if there is a funky lie and I will take some swings to see how the club and turf interact or if it's not a full swing, I'll take a swing or two with the tempo I have in mind before I step up.

Relative to time between shots, I'll talk about anything, it doesn't matter. I am thinking a little bit about my shot, etc as I am approaching my ball so I am ready to go when its my turn.

I don't even have a pre shot routine. The only thing I do at times is take a practice swing if I am a little uncomfortable over a shot

I ususally walk, so I have plenty of time to "analyze" the shot as I am approaching. I usually know what club to hit, and where I want to aim, by the time I get to my ball.
My pre-shot routine in a cart is different than when I walk, but it still is not very long - and I can hit a great shot or screw up my shot no matter how I play!!

I like your plan of action quite a bit. Generally, in my normal playing groups, golf is the last topic of conversation during the round. You're playing golf, but you're talking life. And when I'm walking from my last shot to my next shot, I'm usually on my phone, daydreaming, or simply taking in my surroundings (I still say golf courses are the prettiest places to take a hike​).

I do love to look at golf courses. My wife will sometimes walk with me and hit an few chips and putts.
Good way to spend sometime and work on the game!

I ususally walk, so I have plenty of time to "analyze" the shot as I am approaching. I usually know what club to hit, and where I want to aim, by the time I get to my ball.
My pre-shot routine in a cart is different than when I walk, but it still is not very long - and I can hit a great shot or screw up my shot no matter how I play!!

Hey Spivey.

Please give me a call today when you can. Tie up any details for Sunday. Very excited to meet you, play a round (or 2) and get warm. 20* here today.

I try never to think about my shots when I'm golfing with people, kinda like the no cell phones at the dinner table rule. I want to be engaged with my playing partners, and talking to them, occasionally about golf, but usually about lots of other things.

When I'm playing alone I typically try to avoid thinking about the last swing and loosely plan the next, or just enjoy the walk.

In any scenario I don't really start thinking about the specifics of shot I'm about to take until I'm close to my ball and can see my lie, and where I need the shot to go.

In the groups I play with we talk about all kinds of topics. I try not to think about my next shot til I get there.

Back