Time to Begin Lessons

Bernoulli

Team Hackers 4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Now that it is 2021, I have decided this year that I am going to seek out professional assistance for my swing. I have only had two lessons in the 48 years that I have been playing. The last was in 2002. I have always had an Over the Top tendency that I learned to play as a controlled fade. I can't hit the ball right to left. I hit two draws last season and I have no idea how I did it. Currently. I am on break from golf because of winter and would not want to take lessons indoors during the winter. I would be afraid that what I would forget or be unable to sustain what I was taught or learned because of a lack of access to a range or course to work on things and to gauge any progress

My season does not start until probably April but I could begin lessons as soon as the range at my course opens and the pro and assistants are available. I feel that I want to begin lessons outdoors and at a time that I can work on things outdoors and on the course.

Good luck man...excited to follow along with your journey.

Good luck man...excited to follow along with your journey.

In 2002, I was taught how to hit a draw. The problem was that I took the lesson in October and only had about 3 weeks of play after the lesson before winter set in. I hit balls all that winter (2 to three times a week) into a net at the club I belonged to at the time. When the season opened, the draw was long gone.

Nice! Going to be fun to get some extra eyes on the swing from the outside. Good luck man!

This will be exciting John, getting a good instructor is half the battle and then grinding out the changes. So very worth it in the end though, I'm really looking forward to joining you on your journey.

Good luck on this journey. Cant wait to see how it will benefits your game during 2021, and beyond!

This will be exciting John, getting a good instructor is half the battle and then grinding out the changes. So very worth it in the end though, I'm really looking forward to joining you on your journey.

It’s time. I used to be able to improve my swing by playing more. I just want to try to learn how to reduce the Over the Top tendency in my swing.

Good luck on this journey. Cant wait to see how it will benefits your game during 2021, and beyond!

I need to reduce the Over the Top tendency. I can play the fade it produces but I’m losing considerable distance. It’s funny because I was very accurate off the tee (thank you Xterme) but high, spinny and right was the usual result.

I need to reduce the Over the Top tendency. I can play the fade it produces but I’m losing considerable distance. It’s funny because I was very accurate off the tee (thank you Xterme) but high, spinny and right was the usual result.
I used to play a fade, that was sometimes a slice. Just went with it for years, but knew I was losing lots of yardage. Made a change this year and had some of my longest, most accurate driving rounds ever. Fighting a hook at the end of the year, but it has me excited to start 2021!

Last year I took indoor winter lessons for the first time. I followed up by hitting and/or playing sim courses at least once per week. It was a good way for me to start making bigger swing changes. Downsides were mats and cost. I am doing the same this year. Good luck in your journey. I think my first year of swing work started to change some foundational basics and this year is where I am starting to build on that and begining to see the kinds of changes I wanted and needed. For me it is a slow process.

Good luck with your journey. I took one driver lesson 2 years ago and made a huge difference in my game. Hope you see the improvement as I did.

I will also add that at this time I’m seriously considering True Motion. I have had several conversations with @TrueMotionMatt and I’ll likely see what he has to offer me. I know several here have been using True Motion.

Good luck with your journey. I took one driver lesson 2 years ago and made a huge difference in my game. Hope you see the improvement as I did.

As I said it’s time. I’m currently more accurate than ever with the driver. But the high, spinny fade could be a power fade and I could pick up considerable distance.

I want to learn how to stop coming OTT. Aiming left and hoping the ball fades back can only work so many times, :LOL:

As I said it’s time. I’m currently more accurate than ever with the driver. But the high, spinny fade could be a power fade and I could pick up considerable distance.

I want to learn how to stop coming OTT. Aiming left and hoping the ball fades back can only work so many times, :LOL:
Good instructor will get it fixed and you'll be hitting these straight bombs.

Now that it is 2021, I have decided this year that I am going to seek out professional assistance for my swing. I have only had two lessons in the 48 years that I have been playing. The last was in 2002. I have always had an Over the Top tendency that I learned to play as a controlled fade. I can't hit the ball right to left. I hit two draws last season and I have no idea how I did it. Currently. I am on break from golf because of winter and would not want to take lessons indoors during the winter. I would be afraid that what I would forget or be unable to sustain what I was taught or learned because of a lack of access to a range or course to work on things and to gauge any progress

My season does not start until probably April but I could begin lessons as soon as the range at my course opens and the pro and assistants are available. I feel that I want to begin lessons outdoors and at a time that I can work on things outdoors and on the course.

Good luck with your lessons. Don't let the pro talk you out of learning to draw the ball. I've gone to pros in he past when I was frustrated with fading the ball. They got me hitting it straighter for awhile and convinced me its OK to let the ball fall a little right(fade). That was OK when I was younger, stronger and more flexible. Now, at 61 with an iffy back, a fade just doesn't work well enough. I really wish I could've found a pro who could teach me how to hit a consistent draw.

Good luck with your lessons. Don't let the pro talk you out of learning to draw the ball. I've gone to pros in he past when I was frustrated with fading the ball. They got me hitting it straighter for awhile and convinced me its OK to let the ball fall a little right(fade). That was OK when I was younger, stronger and more flexible. Now, at 61 with an iffy back, a fade just doesn't work well enough. I really wish I could've found a pro who could teach me how to hit a consistent draw.
If he comes our way, we will get him to hit a draw. 💪With irons, as long as you don't swing too far left, it's actually easier to hit a draw than a fade if you don't pull on the handle and heave your body at the ball first. Because when you hit down on the ball with negative AoA, that pushes the path out right. With a driver, a neutral swing direction will hit a slight fade.

I have had a ton of lessons in the last few years but as time has gone on the number and frequency has dramatically reduced. I have also been practicing less and playing more. Now I am not saying my game is going downhill by any means, but I have noticed lately I have been going to the range more often then playing and it seems to be helping my game.

I was talking with my instructor the other day about a thought I had. I am considering working out a package type deal on lessons with him soon. Something like 1 every other week or something. I am just thinking if we can work together on a more consistent basis for a year, it could make a huge difference in my abilities and consistency. Just something I am considering. He charges me $50 per lesson but most people more. I could probably get a better rate if paid up front for a set number of lessons though as he used to do that anyway. Thinking something like $1,000 for 26 lessons or something to that effect. So basically one every other week for a year. I just have to decide if that is the route I want to take. It would be a pretty big commitment.

Good luck man! I’m considering some lessons this year too.

I have had a ton of lessons in the last few years but as time has gone on the number and frequency has dramatically reduced. I have also been practicing less and playing more. Now I am not saying my game is going downhill by any means, but I have noticed lately I have been going to the range more often then playing and it seems to be helping my game.

I was talking with my instructor the other day about a thought I had. I am considering working out a package type deal on lessons with him soon. Something like 1 every other week or something. I am just thinking if we can work together on a more consistent basis for a year, it could make a huge difference in my abilities and consistency. Just something I am considering. He charges me $50 per lesson but most people more. I could probably get a better rate if paid up front for a set number of lessons though as he used to do that anyway. Thinking something like $1,000 for 26 lessons or something to that effect. So basically one every other week for a year. I just have to decide if that is the route I want to take. It would be a pretty big commitment.
I wouldn't prepay for various reasons, but I think your plan is far better than most in terms of consistency of instruction feedback because we all know one lesson rarely works, not even a series of six lessons, or at best there's a short-term improvement that evaporates because this game requires constant scrutiny to fight "feel vs. real". It's so easy to get lazy with even with the most basic of fundamentals. Despite all my years of golf....right now I'm working on the takeaway...over and over...nothing else. It's boring as heck but on the course I can stray in 2 seconds because it's not engrained into my brain.

We give unlimited reviews for $50/month. And we can do everything virtual. And you can do most stuff at home. Something to consider.

We give unlimited reviews for $50/month. And we can do everything virtual. And you can do most stuff at home. Something to consider.
Matt, how does this work? Do you work with folks real time on video or do they upload videos for review and discussion? It might make sense for folks to buy $12 Pinnacle balls vs. ProV1x's and spend the difference on lessons.

I wouldn't prepay for various reasons, but I think your plan is far better than most in terms of consistency of instruction feedback because we all know one lesson rarely works, not even a series of six lessons, or at best there's a short-term improvement that evaporates because this game requires constant scrutiny to fight "feel vs. real". It's so easy to get lazy with even with the most basic of fundamentals. Despite all my years of golf....right now I'm working on the takeaway...over and over...nothing else. It's boring as heck but on the course I can stray in 2 seconds because it's not engrained into my brain.

I understand the hesitation to prepay. I wouldn’t do it either under most circumstances but he and I have been working together since I first picked up a club. We have become pretty good friends and text each other several days a week. I am not too worried about it with someone like him.

I appreciate the offer. I am not a big fan on virtual lessons though and I really have developed a great friendship with my instructor. He is literally the guy standing beside me when I first picked up a club to start playing. It really helps to have someone who has seen my game/swing grow and change to work with.

Good luck. I'm hoping to start beginners lessons in March but with the Covid situation in the UK I'm now not sure that's going to happen.

I understand the hesitation to prepay. I wouldn’t do it either under most circumstances but he and I have been working together since I first picked up a club. We have become pretty good friends and text each other several days a week. I am not too worried about it with someone like him.

I appreciate the offer. I am not a big fan on virtual lessons though and I really have developed a great friendship with my instructor. He is literally the guy standing beside me when I first picked up a club to start playing. It really helps to have someone who has seen my game/swing grow and change to work with.
I get your point....of course I don't know all the details about your long-term relationship. I'd say go for it and think of him as your permanent coach.

Back