Tips on videoing swing and video editing apps

Chip

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone

My golf learning has really kicked into full gear now as I went thru a 16 lesson complete game overhaul.My teaching professional has now requested I send him a video twice a week of my progress when not attending our weekly lessons.He suggested I use 2 cameras one that is set dtl one front on.Wants to see the swing in full motion while hitting a ball from different angles.Minimum is 120 fps which is more than available since I have an iPhone 5 and a iPod 6 generation.Any advice on filming would be helpful.Wants to see one video of a swing and one a pitch shot.
Do I film using an app or just use camera default?
Should I walk off 10'paces for each camera to get the same size video?
If I use an app which is a good one available

Anyone?

What about v1 for the iMac ?

v1 or coach's eye are good. You can just use your camera as well. Those apps just allow you to draw lines etc..

Camera placement should be on a tripod or some other stationary mount to avoid shaking. Accurate video analysis of golf swings really needs a steady camera especially for the graphics and line-drawing features of the video software. In addition, camera angles and distance from the subject are very important. The camera height ideally will be about waist-high. For a face view shot, the camera should be perpendicular to the player’s belt buckle – basically dead center of the golfer’s body. Down-the-line shots need a camera mount pointed on a line inline with the players hands at setup or roughly half way between the player and the golf ball. If the camera is mounted inline with the players feet, this is acceptable, but inline with the golf ball does not work well for accurate assessment of swing plane.
An additional detail to be aware of with camera placement is the distance from the subject. Most often video that is shot from too great a distance or with a wide angle lens and the detail we would like is missing. This is especially true for video shot with mobile phones. Test your shot beforehand to make sure you have the tightest view possible which still gets the entire arc of the golf club in the shot. Mobile phones should be turned on their side in a horizontal landscape format. Historically for standard camcorders, we have found this distance to be about 21 feet. But wide angle lenses which are typical on smart phones and some of the newer pocket cameras require shooting the video at closer distances.

CoachMyVideo and V1 are what i like. i think i'm going to buy a SMARTSTAKE to take to the range with me to hold my phone. google "how to film a golf swing" for proper placement. you can see things that aren't there if you don't have the camera lined up properly. someone like freddie is skilled enough to still see the right things even when the camera angle is wrong, but armchair swing coaches like the rest of us can misdiagnose very easily.

Just use the camera on on the iPad in landscape mode.

Back