Another really solid round with the 2 last night. The forgiveness off the face of this driver is such a plus for me, and even some less than great swings produced very playable results. Enjoying this confidence off the tee recently, hitting driver is fun, hitting driver well is even more fun.

Got a lot of confidence in the 2, and I don’t think there will be any sort of change in the top spot in the bag. From following along with my stat line on Trackman this winter, fairways hit are up (37%), my overall driving distance is up (270 yards), my GIR % is up (55%), and my scoring average has dropped considerably. Looking forward to seeing how this plays for me this season, I still think this is one of the best looking drivers out there, and I’m not surprised it’s still on the lists of what people are getting fit into.

First day playing my TSR2. I hit a few good drives and a few not so good drives, but the biggest thing I noticed are no balloon balls on mis hits and my directional misses were much tighter than with my old Epic Max. Still working it in, so hope to report back soon with more consistent results.

I'm late to the TSR party but went for a fitting last month and the TSR2 easily beat the AI Smoke, Cobra Darkspeed, G430 and the Qi10. My old driver was the Rogue ST Max and it killed that too. It wasn't even close. The TSR2 was straighter, longer, and felt the best by far. The difference was so significant that I hit a few again towards the end to verify and the results were the same. I was a bit hesitant to buy one since it's nearing EOL but with a Diamana GT shaft I was getting results so good that I really couldn't pass it up. Just as a side bit of trivia, I was in the market for a new 5W at the same time and he said he couldn't do any better than what I had now which is an old Epic Flash, so instead of selling me something he said to just keep it. That one may be in the bag for a very long time.
Very interesting. I'm down to TSR2 and AI Smoke Max. Have done initial demos on both. Booked for a titliest fitting day on March 8th and will make final decision. I need low spin but not powerful enough for the low handicap low spin drivers.

This release is getting long in the tooth compared to other OEM releases. That being said, I still don’t know if there is any head that is better for me than the TSR3. It pretty much optimizes my launch, ball speed and spin. The dispersion is as good or better than anything else that I have tried. I swore that I would not go driver hunting this new release season, but I succumbed. I have hit many of the new heads. This morning, I put my TSR3 on TrackMan and it was just so consistent and comfortable. My highest ball speed since the first of the year has still been with the TSR3. My average ball speed is a couple mph more than anything but one other head that I have tried, but the spin just stays right in that mid 2000 window that is best for me at my swing speed. I don’t know why I succumbed to the FOMO. Right now, I think the TSR3 stays in the bag.

IMG_6459.jpeg

This release is getting long in the tooth compared to other OEM releases. That being said, I still don’t know if there is any head that is better for me than the TSR3. It pretty much optimizes my launch, ball speed and spin. The dispersion is as good or better than anything else that I have tried. I swore that I would not go driver hunting this new release season, but I succumbed. I have hit many of the new heads. This morning, I put my TSR3 on TrackMan and it was just so consistent and comfortable. My highest ball speed since the first of the year has still been with the TSR3. My average ball speed is a couple mph more than anything but one other head that I have tried, but the spin just stays right in that mid 2000 window that is best for me at my swing speed. I don’t know why I succumbed to the FOMO. Right now, I think the TSR3 stays in the bag.

View attachment 9245408
Honestly I think everyone else is just catching up to tsr. It’s such a good driver. Can’t wait to see what they have coming next

Honestly I think everyone else is just catching up to tsr. It’s such a good driver. Can’t wait to see what they have coming next

I agree... I am exited to see what Titleist comes out with this fall given the success of the TSR lineup.

i finally got to play my first outdoors round this week. golf in February in Wisconsin? let's go!

the TSR2 continues to impress for the first 9 holes...6/7 FIR, letting me hit my preference of consistent draws.
we were walking-only and after a winter of sloth i got tired on the back nine, hitting 3/7 FIR, all 4 of the misses were a push right that was still playable, so forgiving!

Loving what I’m seeing out of the 2 right now. There might be a driver/shaft combo out there that I could coax a few more yards out of, but this one feels like home. Very interested to see how they will improve on this line-up going forward - I think they set a high bar in terms of sound and feel with this line.

Interesting stuff for me with the TSR2 lately...let's go with a Pros vs Cons view the last 15 rounds...

Pros:
  • I'm getting solid distance in general - P-Avg of 266yd , longest at 317. More recently I've picked up a little - P-Avg comes up to 272yd when I go to 10 rounds.
  • Strokes gained on tee shots vs 10 cap is 2.5. A lot of that is distance (will get to the other side of that in a minute), but the TSR2 is undeniably an advantage right now
  • Even when I miss the fairway, I'm still above 0 on strokes gained. So generally I'm not missing by a ton.
  • I'm only at 3% penalties off the tee, which is a total of 6 strokes in the last 15 rounds. Fairly clean there, so again, not missing massively very often
Cons:
  • Still struggling to increase fairways hit. Only at 40%, which is 8% less than the 10hcp benchmark. As I say above, I'm not missing fairways by a ton, but it comes out in the data that I gain WAY more strokes when I hit the fairway - over 2 strokes vs a 10hcp in the fairway, vs a half stroke or less from the rough.
  • I'm back to a 2 way miss and it's very frustrating. Yes, it's skewed towards the right (31% right vs 23% left), but I really want to see one of those misses effectively go away (5-10% or less). Preferably get rid of the left miss and play a straight ball to slight cut would be ideal for me.
  • I've got this nasty high face miss occasionally that results in a sky pull, and it's NOT good.
I think a lot of the cons speak to the fact that my speed is up and so is my spin with driver. The TSR2 is minimizing a lot of those misses admirably, but I'm questioning whether it's still the right fit, especially after my last lesson where I absolutely blistered a TSR3/1K Black 65X combo. I did plug the 1K Black 65S back in and that has helped calm the 2 way miss down, but I'm thinking another driver fitting/lesson might be in order.

I should close though by saying that this driver is STILL the most consistent I've owned - at least since I was shorter off the tee - and the strokes gained certainly speak for themselves that it's doing well for me overall. But I can't help thinking there's more meat on the bone. If I can just tighten things up a little bit, I'll increase fairways and reduce penalties. I could have gotten another probably 3-4 strokes in yesterday's round for example if I take 2 or 3 bad drives and just make them less bad.

I think a lot of the cons speak to the fact that my speed is up and so is my spin with driver. The TSR2 is minimizing a lot of those misses admirably, but I'm questioning whether it's still the right fit, especially after my last lesson where I absolutely blistered a TSR3/1K Black 65X combo. I did plug the 1K Black 65S back in and that has helped calm the 2 way miss down, but I'm thinking another driver fitting/lesson might be in order.

thinking about your spin being up with higher swing speed...have you tested with a different ball or loft setting?

thinking about your spin being up with higher swing speed...have you tested with a different ball or loft setting?
Loft is probably my next move to adjust, but I want to see what things look like in my lesson Thursday first. It could also be operator error.

I've been using Chrome Tour which is a little lower spin than the ProV1x, and that's helped some.

I played today with a rental set and had the TSR2. It felt really good! I wasn’t too sure when all they had was a Diamana PD50 regular flex. It took a few swings on course to slow my tempo down but then it was on. It definitely felt forgiving on a few bad tempo, very off center swings. Only one tee shot that cost me a stroke all day and that was me taking too aggressive of a line. I’ve always shied away from Titleist because I think of them as geared more towards better players. They are very much in the mix at my driver fitting after what I saw today. I even won the long drive on the front 9. Great first impression.

Bought it used, and the clear coat was starting to peel. So, I stripped the paint down to a bare crown and repainted it flat black.
Nicely done!

My tee game is a hot mess right now. I've got some swing issues happening - getting stuck with the upper body and as a result casting a bit, and also at times not releasing the clubhead enough and hitting high on the face - but the TSR2 is bailing me out of some ugly crap. I still think the above issues I mentioned warrant another look at optimization - at least once I get my swing back in order - but I am getting away with a lot more than I should considering the ugly move.

Case in point - this swing was TRASH, I mean ugly stuff. Caught it really heel side and a little thin from getting stuck. Deserved a weak fade into the right trees...got a 244 yard drive right up the middle. I can definitely hit it a lot further when I make a good swing, but getting this out of a bad swing is the reason the TSR2 is a winner.

BM#15-030424.PNG

Hit a few ugly ones tonight, and a few really good ones, and somehow the 2 shined on both, and gave me some results I was happy with on the good ones, and forgiveness I could be thankful for on the bad ones. Spent some time on the range after, and a nice, easy, 70% ish swing was producing some great ball flights - nice easy draws, which id be more than happy to see on-course this year. Peak height and spin seem a little high, so I might try playing with the loft sleeve a bit and see if we can flatten those out. Overall still really happy with this combo for me, and excited to start the season with it in the bag.

Last tee shot of vacation, a narrow-ish but reachable par 5. My only thought was, "Get it to the corner and you've got a chance."
TSR2 Driver laser beam. Check.

Standing over the ball I thought, "That's a big trap, layup, easy par." I discarded it and instead told myself "This is what this club is for."
TSR2 7w high baby fade into the wind, front right corner. Check.

These clubs are so much better at golf than me. If I just get out of the way, they do work. It's crazy to think an upgrade is likely on the way this fall...what's to be done?

Screenshot_20240330-201049.png

really great video drop by Titleist yesterday with Josh Talge interviewing Stephanie Luttrell (Director of Metalwood Development)

The 2 has been really good to me lately, but I am a little curious about my peak height at the moment. Found 11 fairways tonight on a somewhat tight course, which is REALLY good for me. I only question my peak height as I saw some shots on the monitor afterwards tonight with a peak height of 120-140’, which seems kind of wild compared to where I was at in my fitting in October.

I'm still a little wild at times, but I've mostly taken the left side out with some recent swing and grip tweaks, as well as a shaft change. Only missed one significantly left yesterday, and I hit several definite bombs. Biggest thing right now is I'm struggling with some impact position issues, so I'm not getting all I can out of it. But that is ultimately why I fit into the TSR2 and why I'm still using it - it's a monster at retaining speed across the face. I had a couple balls go 250+ despite being nowhere near the center of the face.

This driver is a key reason why @blazinden thinks I'm a bomber but I'm actually not 😅 so thanks for that, Titleist!

Back