This will be fun. Setting it up at C4 (+0.75*, fade bias) with a HZRDUS Black 70 6.0 for initial experimentations this week.

1000002366.jpg

About a month and a half ago I picked up a really nice TSR2 16.5* off Fleabay for just over $200. I had to bid on a couple of them before I got one for what I was willing to pay for a club I didn't really need. It has managed to push my 17.5* G425 into the cottage bag. The TSR just so satisfying to hit. Pure sound, looks great at address. I wasn't so sure about it at first, I wasn't having great results with it at first, I don't know what I was doing wrong but one day just before I was going to give it away I gave it one more try. I started killing it, and have been ever since. 230-240 off the deck at my age (64) is killing it lol. With only 1* less loft than the G425, it is 10 yards longer. Carry is about the same, just more roll out. HMMMMM

This TSR2+ is STUPID GOOD.

Off the tee, it pretty effortlessly (in "standard" conditions) carries north of 240 and sometimes even gets up in the mid 250's. With rollout we're easily talking 250+, and sometimes up to 270. It's the same length as my 16.5 TSR2 but has that bigger head and deeper face so it's even more forgiving. It's much straighter than driver, at a pretty meager penalty of 10-20 yards on average (a little more if the driver is absolutely smoked).

Off the deck is the surprise for me. I should clarify that this is mostly based on sim so far (i.e. mats), BUT I've gone for several greens in 2 from 250 and even up to nearly 270 and gotten on several of them. I have it set slightly higher than standard (C4, 13.75*, 0.75* open), and it gets up in the air really really easily.

This is a serious contender for a permanent bag spot, kicking out a lob wedge that I rarely use anyways (and even more rarely use effectively).

This TSR2+ is STUPID GOOD.

Off the tee, it pretty effortlessly (in "standard" conditions) carries north of 240 and sometimes even gets up in the mid 250's. With rollout we're easily talking 250+, and sometimes up to 270. It's the same length as my 16.5 TSR2 but has that bigger head and deeper face so it's even more forgiving. It's much straighter than driver, at a pretty meager penalty of 10-20 yards on average (a little more if the driver is absolutely smoked).

Off the deck is the surprise for me. I should clarify that this is mostly based on sim so far (i.e. mats), BUT I've gone for several greens in 2 from 250 and even up to nearly 270 and gotten on several of them. I have it set slightly higher than standard (C4, 13.75*, 0.75* open), and it gets up in the air really really easily.

This is a serious contender for a permanent bag spot, kicking out a lob wedge that I rarely use anyways (and even more rarely use effectively).
This is a serious ponder for 2024. The numbers you are seeing are incredible and having a wood that is tee worthy and great off turf is important.

Compared to your driver and hybrids, are you seeing similar shot flight type and height?

This is a serious ponder for 2024. The numbers you are seeing are incredible and having a wood that is tee worthy and great off turf is important.

Compared to your driver and hybrids, are you seeing similar shot flight type and height?
I'll temper my enthusiasm somewhat to avoid sounding like I'm gushing too early and emphasize that indoor does NOT always equal outdoor. I've only taken one swing with it outside, during my round on Xmas Eve, and I caught it heavy and line drove it. But I was collared with the start of my back swing against the cut line of the rough, which SUCKS. So I need to get some more outdoor data.

That said, the indoor data I'm seeing is VERY promising. Qualitatively, I'm seeing very similar shot height to the driver and 4w on well struck shots, but I'll need to get some data to back that up. Ball speed gets into the low 150's on the best swings and is easily in the upper 140's on well struck shots. It's seriously helpful in low face shots too, possibly even more so than the 16.5 due to the extra head size (at least relative to loft difference).

These fairway woods are still stupid good. Been rolling with the TSR2+ 13* (set 14*) and TSR2 16.5* setup so far this year and I'm loving it. Both are awesome options off the tee or the deck - the TSR2+ is a little more of a driver alternative if I need to hit it straighter as well as an "extra gas" option for off the deck / attacking par 5's, and the TSR2 16.5* is a gapping option off the tee and a go to for long approaches off the deck since it's so easy to elevate. I might need to loft it up slightly to increase the gap with the TSR2+ and reduce the separation from the 4i, but if anything that will make it easier to hit.

Had a highlight shot with the 16.5* in a 2 man scramble on Saturday when I laced one from the fairway from about 240 just off the edge of a narrow, well protected green. One of those when as soon as I hit it, I knew it was money and had a great chance. Missed the eagle just on the lip, but made the bird.

Back