Birdiesandbogeys

Reaction score
Handicap
Talking with Pro at our golf simulator place here in town yesterday. He says if I switch from my 2017 Taylormade M2 driver to the new SIM 2 “you’ll probably see about 15-20 yds increase in distance.”
My immediate response was that he’s just trying to sell me... but he invited me to come back and demo the SIM 2 and see for myself.

Who here thinks he’ll be proven right? And why?

I’d think immediately that he’s pitching to sell you something haha. But, you’re doing the right thing going in to try it first. I’d be conservative on your expectations. 20 yards is a lot and would only really expect that if your current driver is a poor fit.

My take is that a 15-20 yard gain is unlikely, at least in terms of solely from going to newer tech. It's not like you're playing a 20 year old driver or anything. That said, if the pro knows your swing and thinks that the SIM2 would be a way better fit for you (or something along those lines), it's always possible.

Since I use midsize grips, he was suggesting that we simply take the M2 head off my existing shaft and just pop the SiM 2 on there instead.
So we would essentially just be comparing driver heads alone...

I mean it may be a little over exaggerated but if he’s offering you try it, you got nothing to lose

It’s possible.. I dunno..

Worth a shot for sure. For me personally a few yards gained can be good if the dispersion is better/tighter.

Talked to a guy at my club Wednesday that hit it. I think he currently has the M4. He said he gained about 15 yards of carry. Not sure if he changed shafts or hit the same one. He’s a good player who’s competed for our club championship and has almost completed the the grand slam of HIO’s on our par 3’s....Twice!! He just needs a second on one and will have 2 on each par 3.

That can happen if you were poorly fit previously.

But today's drivers are more about better consistency and a few more yards.

Always bring your gamer to a driver fitting. That way you'll know for sure how much of a distance gain you'll get with a new driver. Longest driver wins.

I mean bring your club in and give it a fair shake if you want.

Talking with Pro at our golf simulator place here in town yesterday. He says if I switch from my 2017 Taylormade M2 driver to the new SIM 2 “you’ll probably see about 15-20 yds increase in distance.”
My immediate response was that he’s just trying to sell me... but he invited me to come back and demo the SIM 2 and see for myself.

that seems like a lot, but I am not sure what the M2 was touted as. There are some reviews online showing Sim and Sim2 not being much different in terms of overall increase in distance.

Were you properly for for the M2 or buy it off the rack.

I say give them a rip but I'd put my money on the under.

Do the comparison test and see how it pans out. But don't fall for that one special drive that proves him correct.

Doesn't hurt to try and see. If you do gain almost 20 yards then might be well worth the purchase.

Seems like TM bumped up the spin profile with the SIM2 line. Actually if you’re a high spin player, the M2 might be longer.

Definitely pitching to sell the club. No way has tech moved that much. I just tried all last years drivers against the ping G and fitters said don’t switch. Not worth it. Maybe 1 yard longer but who’s spend 500-800 dollars for one yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely pitching to sell the club. No way has tech moved that much. I just tried all last years drivers against the ping G and fitters said don’t switch. Not worth it. Maybe 1 yard longer but who’s spend 500-800 dollars for one yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You spend for more consistency and increased ball speed across the face on mishits, which gets you some more yards.

It all depends on how well your M2 fits your swing. If both are fit well, you won’t likely see that type of gain on well struck shots. Where you likely will see improvement is in fairways hit and less distance lost on swings not quite center struck. Improving the misses is what has changed significantly for the better over the past four years.

It won’t cost you anything so I would do the same shaft different head test but I will try to alternate five on one, switch five to the other then back and repeat again. Then look at the average of 10 shots on each to see if there really is a big gain. If there is any want to spend the money then you get Fitted for a new shaft for the SIM2 and you already have a baseline of 10 shots to compare against.

Unless he knows you very well and has an extremely good idea of a combo he has in mind and a lot of experience with the SIM2... unfortunately it's a sales pitch.

Back