To get new clubs or not, that is the question.

Deano

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had my current clubs for four years now and have been looking to get them re-gripped.

I'm currently using Benross Quads which are considered to be 'game-improvement' irons. I get on really well with them and my game has improved substantially since originally buying them. I recently went into American Golf for a 'club check-up' and they guy felt they were decent enough for me and my swing.

But, after selling a few bits of equipment, I've now got £450 to play with and there are a few options available to me:

1. Re-grip as planned and put the extra money towards a driver (which I don't currently own) amongst other things including balls, gloves, clothing, green-fees, etc.
2. Buy a new set of irons
3. Put the money towards a membership

With the January sales coming up there could be some good deals on offer, so I'm just after some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

If you buy new irons are you still not going to have a driver? Do you normally not play with a driver and by not having one do you feel like you are missing something off the tee?

I'm not familiar with Benross irons at all but for me it depends if you like them and have confidence in them. If you do I would leave them alone and go with a membership so you can play as much golf as possible. If you are just counting the days until you can get rid of your irons then I say there's no better time than now!

You have irons that you like and which work well for you? You don't even own a driver? That is an easy one. I'm regripping my irons and buying a big stick. BTW, it is super easy to regrip clubs. If you spend maybe $20 on the stuff you need to do the job you can save yourself a ton of money so you can use that store credit on the driver.

If you buy new irons are you still not going to have a driver? Do you normally not play with a driver and by not having one do you feel like you are missing something off the tee?

You have irons that you like and which work well for you? You don't even own a driver? That is an easy one. I'm regripping my irons and buying a big stick. BTW, it is super easy to regrip clubs. If you spend maybe $20 on the stuff you need to do the job you can save yourself a ton of money so you can use that store credit on the driver.

I do own a driver but it's an old John Letters thing that I just can't get on with - I did take an M2 for a test drive in American Golf the other week and was hitting it well considering.

I currently use a 5 wood off the tee and don't tend to be too lacking in distance with it, when I catch it right.

If I was to re-grip, then I would definitely be doing it myself (with the help of my Dad, who did my putter over the weekend for practice).

I'm not familiar with Benross irons at all but for me it depends if you like them and have confidence in them. If you do I would leave them alone and go with a membership so you can play as much golf as possible. If you are just counting the days until you can get rid of your irons then I say there's no better time than now!

I do really want to get a membership but the only thing that's putting me off at the moment is that my regular playing partner has no interest in joining a club as he thinks he'd get bored going the same course all the time - personally I don't think the same. But then part of me thinks that if I do join he'll have no choice :)

If you are looking for people to tell you not to buy new clubs, you have come to the wrong place hahaha

If you are looking for people to tell you not to buy new clubs, you have come to the wrong place hahaha

Haha, I'm just looking for someone to play Devil's Advocate :D

I do own a driver but it's an old John Letters thing that I just can't get on with - I did take an M2 for a test drive in American Golf the other week and was hitting it well considering.

I currently use a 5 wood off the tee and don't tend to be too lacking in distance with it, when I catch it right.

If I was to re-grip, then I would definitely be doing it myself (with the help of my Dad, who did my putter over the weekend for practice).

I would say you are better off with a good driver fitting then if your irons are still working well for you.

If it was me I think I would regrip the irons since you get along with them well. I would test out all the drivers and find one you get along with well. If your heart is set on joining a club, I would seriously think of going that route, it has its benefits some times.

If it was me I think I would regrip the irons since you get along with them well. I would test out all the drivers and find one you get along with well. If your heart is set on joining a club, I would seriously think of going that route, it has its benefits some times.
Yeah I have to say I'm leaning towards this more than anything.

I could easily get another couple of years out of my irons once re-gripped.

Get a driver and then see where I am with regards to joining a club.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would get a driver and a lesson on how to hit it.

Assuming money is not a money issue I'd get the clubs. It's always fun to get new toys!

If your irons are working for you now, and you don't play a driver because you either don't hit it well or you don't need one, I would just get the current ones regripped. I'd use the extra money for lessons or for playing more.

Another thing to consider is that you can get a driver that's a season old for a song. Especially since you are regripping yourself maybe you have enough money to do all three.

It is a tough one. Like you all, the lure of new, shiny, irons is hard to ignore.

But I do think I could be sensible and keep them for at least another year.

Another thing to consider is that you can get a driver that's a season old for a song. Especially since you are regripping yourself maybe you have enough money to do all three.
That's not a bad shout really, doesn't have to be brand new.

Buy a new driver on ebay for a drastically discounted price. Put the rest of the money towards membership or green fees.

Got a bag fitting tomorrow, not sure what I'm going to come out with but at the very least I'll be buying some wedges, can't wait to try the new RTX-3s after reading so much on here.

Definitely going to try a driver out to see how it feels.

As luck would have it, I've actually come into a bit more money and now have £950, so I might just have to see if there are any particular irons that catch my eye, I'll be sure to let you know how I get on :D

I'm in much the same position as you.... thinking about new irons (currently play Ping G10's that I've had for 7 or 8 yrs...)
i'm not positive i'd get a LOT out of new sticks, i would benefit much more from some consistency off the tee... (my GHIN is 17.2 - i think...)

Still, like you, i'm drawn to some shiny new irons - probably just change for the sake of change- when in actuality, a couple of lessons for more consistency in my tee ball might be money better spent - as my irons are not really the problem. Hoping i come to my senses and push the thought of new irons to the back of my noggin' for at least a bit longer...

whatever you decide.... good luck!!! Once the decision is made, don't look back!

I think I would lean toward regripping my irons and buying a driver and other accessories. As fun as shiny new objects are, I think I would want to complete my bag and then keep an eye out in the future for a killer deal on irons.

It is the January sales right now, so there might be something that's worthwhile, I'm not 100% set on new irons but we shall see ?

I vote number 1 , re-grip and buy a new driver.

If it was me I'd go to ultimately updating my whole set to the point I can fully update and complete it and leave it for a year or two without having to think about it for a while.

I'd go for buying driver but I would hold off on the regripping. I'd wash the grips with mild detergent and water and save up for a new/used iron set that's a bit more recent, say from 2014.

I've had my current clubs for four years now and have been looking to get them re-gripped.

I'm currently using Benross Quads which are considered to be 'game-improvement' irons. I get on really well with them and my game has improved substantially since originally buying them. I recently went into American Golf for a 'club check-up' and they guy felt they were decent enough for me and my swing.

But, after selling a few bits of equipment, I've now got £450 to play with and there are a few options available to me:

1. Re-grip as planned and put the extra money towards a driver (which I don't currently own) amongst other things including balls, gloves, clothing, green-fees, etc.
2. Buy a new set of irons
3. Put the money towards a membership

With the January sales coming up there could be some good deals on offer, so I'm just after some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

This is where sites like Ebay can be your friend.

I rarely ever bought new equipment.

I just dumped about $650.00 worth of Ping hybrid & iron clubs out of my bag and replaced them with a set of older set of mint Titleist 990-B's and a old Wilson 8813 putter that cost me a total of $150.00 total.

I can afford whatever I want, but the latest and greatest isn't always what is best. I still bang away with a TaylorMade 580 driver because I still haven't found a better one for me.

Back