To play a less forgiving iron.....or go with Super Game improvement....that is the question!!!!

stcjones

Reaction score
Handicap
So after just recently purchasing a set of Wilson C300 cast irons with regular flex graphite shafts I have found that when they are struck well/pure the results are incredible. But if I’m off a bit with my swing this set is NOT even close to the forgiveness of say a Callaway Big Bertha /rogue, or Cleveland HB Launcher iron set.....BUT I can work the ball and I feel slightly better about the fact that it is ME making those shots rather than just incredible forgiveness HELPING me out on many shots!!!! Wilson C300 are a great set....when hit pure they fly very straight and incredibly long.....but if u miss sweet spot toe heel.....things may not go too well! So question is....stay with C300 and keep working on my swing....working to perfect club accuracy and distance!!!!......or Just keep on with Super Ultra game improvement of Cleveland HB launcher or other comparable irons and be happy with ultra forgiveness but know I can’t be a shot maker and that large amount of my success is reliant upon “that “ particular game improvement that is built into that iron!!! Hope u understand what I’m saying here! Thanks!

Use whichever helps you shoot the lower score. Pretty simple. When I hit it stiff, no one is saying, "yeah but you are using super game improvement irons!" They say, "nice shot!."

Well personally if you want to practice go c300 if you average a round every so often go SGI. Work on swing and progress

So after just recently purchasing a set of Wilson C300 cast irons with regular flex graphite shafts I have found that when they are struck well/pure the results are incredible. But if I’m off a bit with my swing this set is NOT even close to the forgiveness of say a Callaway Big Bertha /rogue, or Cleveland HB Launcher iron set.....BUT I can work the ball and I feel slightly better about the fact that it is ME making those shots rather than just incredible forgiveness HELPING me out on many shots!!!! Wilson C300 are a great set....when hit pure they fly very straight and incredibly long.....but if u miss sweet spot toe heel.....things may not go too well! So question is....stay with C300 and keep working on my swing....working to perfect club accuracy and distance!!!!......or Just keep on with Super Ultra game improvement of Cleveland HB launcher or other comparable irons and be happy with ultra forgiveness but know I can’t be a shot maker and that large amount of my success is reliant upon “that “ particular game improvement that is built into that iron!!! Hope u understand what I’m saying here! Thanks!

The C300's are about as forgiving as it gets.

You can't buy a better swing off the rack, but you can certainly dig one out of the dirt with a little professional instruction. Swing lessons are easier on the wallet as well. ;)

The old rule, play what makes you happy. I have played a lot of different irons over the last 10 years, and found a couple combinations that I really enjoyed. As I have gotten older I will take the foregiveness and help of a GI type iron. Working the ball is cool, but I can break 80 most rounds so I'll take that and be happy.

Play whatever gives you the most confidence. I am less confident with 5 & 6 iron but I don’t use them much when my driving game is good and that’s part of why I play I210’s. It really depends on your game and what you want to play to give you the best chance to improve.

I went from some GI/SGI irons (Cobra King F6) to Rickie's irons (Cobra King CB/MB) and it's one of the best things to ever happen to my game. I lost some distance at the onset, but as I've gotten better about hitting the middle of the club face I got the distance back. Sitting down behind the ball it's just more focused. The middle of the club face feels like the only way to even make contact.

Your mileage may vary.

I don't play (or do) anything which intentionally makes the game more difficult for me, it's difficult enough as it is. But that's just me, everybody has their own way of enjoying the game. If you like the less forgiving clubs and enjoy playing them, more power to you.

My handicap is currently 5.7. I play Ping G700 irons. Its about hitting greens and sinking putts. Whatever clubs help you hit more greens are the ones you should play.

Choose what ever clubs help you shoot the lowest and and feel the best for your game.

Play whatever you feel best about having in your bag. None of us play the game to put food on the table.

I personally go less forgiving. I personally cant stand a club that has a really thick sole because I feel like theres too much turf interaction. I also dont really feel like there is a big difference in forgivness from an SGI iron to a player's CB and theyre just a much more beautiful club that youd actually want to play, not to mention theres just more and better feel.
IMO, the forgivness of SGI irons is mostly hype, marketing and mental. 🤷‍♂️

I play what will help me in the long run. Could I play a less forgiving iron and be close to what my current set is? Sure, but hitting an extra green every round helps.

14 cap + working the ball. Hmm.
unless you are a terrible driver of the ball and or putter I’d say play the most forgiving easiest to hit iron and you’ll GIR % and scores will thank you.

I play to around a 9-10 cap and have never even contemplated Working the ball.
I think sometimes we try and over think this game.

I think you need to play what you have confidence in. Kind of does not matter if it is logical or not. That said, I play the C300 cast in the KBS tour 90 stiff shaft and it is as forgiving an iron that I've ever hit. I would normally hit the 9i about 135-140 in central KY. Last Sunday on a par 3 I hit a poor shot to the right and short into a sand bunker. I was likely 10 yards short and 15 yards of my intended line. I did not check impact on face nor can I say it was not related to body motion of rocking forward. Just occurred to me this an avg mis-hit for me.

as a prior poster said, I don't work the ball as I'm not good enough yet. If you want to sell your c300's and if they have the kbs shaft in them, shoot me a PM. I don't recommend selling but if your mind is set, then give me a shout.

Play whatever makes you happy and makes you want to golf more often

I'm playing a Mavrik Max driver, 2017 Fusion FW 3,5, &7 and Big Bertha Irons with F2 recoil shaft in everything. You still have to hit the damn ball.
However I am still hitting about as far as I did and a lot more accurately than I did 15 years ago.
I just decided to listen to my own advise to my son over twenty years ago when he said he was embarrassed about hitting his driver on a hole that the other kids hit a iron on.
"Buddy, you just have to play your game and use the club that will get you there." It worked then, he was on and they were short. And it works today for me.

Back