D.farrer

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling with toe hits. I went to Nip-It Golf and played indoors and noticed I was closing the club face at impact. I have a set of Titleist 716 AP2 with S300 shafts. I then hit my old set my son-in-law has which are Cleveland 588CB's and was hitting them with a square club face.

What is the deal? Please help.. lol

Hi D,

I'm certainly no expert (24 handicap) and I've had the same issue in the past - but it's mostly just been a mental thing as it hasn't stayed the same way long-term. How long has the issue continued on the Titleist clubs and how many rounds have you played with the Clevelands?

mj

It has been going on ever since I got the Titleist and have worked to correct it with no luck. I used the 588's for several years before switching. Yesterday I compared side by side so I dont think it is mental. Thx MJ

Fair enough mate. Could try opening your grip ever so slightly if you're consistently closing the face? might create a consistent clean strike with the face. Good luck!

Have you checked the offset? too much offset can cause the same thing. A few years ago, when TM was sending out test 6 Irons of the M2(?), I took it out to the range. EVERYTHING went left of left. I mean there was so much offset (to my eye) it seemed like the clubface was behind the shaft. Aside from the awful noise it made, it was NOT the club for me.
Also, the weighting in the clubhead could be different. If they put a little extra in there somewhere to cut down on slices, that could be another issue.

Have you checked the offset? too much offset can cause the same thing. A few years ago, when TM was sending out test 6 Irons of the M2(?), I took it out to the range. EVERYTHING went left of left. I mean there was so much offset (to my eye) it seemed like the clubface was behind the shaft. Aside from the awful noise it made, it was NOT the club for me.
Also, the weighting in the clubhead could be different. If they put a little extra in there somewhere to cut down on slices, that could be another issue.
I think it is club head weighting as I am hitting a fade with with the 588's which will straighten out when I get them bent back to 1deg upright and get midsize grips installed. At least I hope it does. lol

Could be a lie issue, if the swings & grip are the same. I play my irons flat, the fitter said it'd help with the left miss & it seems to work ok most of the time. I don't know why that is but he said it with authority & confidence so I didn't really question it.

I could be terribly wrong though.

Perhaps try Strike Plan, Adam Young’s online offering? It is a great deal and teaches you to remedy all sorts of strike issues. It’s methodical.

After having the 8i shaft replaced and new midsize grips installed and having loft and lie set on the 588CB's I played yesterday. Just an fyi, I did not bend the 8i shaft and the clubs are bent 1.5 deg upright. My strike pattern on the club was closer to the center than it has been in a long time. I want to play the AP2's but even when set up for my swing I hit them off the toe. I will play these for a while and search for a new set by getting fitted by a pro fitter when I can since the closet place is 2+ hours away. Will keep posting on my progress.

I have been struggling with toe hits. I went to Nip-It Golf and played indoors and noticed I was closing the club face at impact. I have a set of Titleist 716 AP2 with S300 shafts. I then hit my old set my son-in-law has which are Cleveland 588CB's and was hitting them with a square club face.

What is the deal? Please help.. lol
Toe hits can happen for a number of reason...let's see video, then we can give a definitive answer:
  1. You're Dumped Under - swing too in to out
  2. Clubs are Too $hort
  3. Heel biased weight vs. what' you're used to (think about when you move a driver weight to the heel side, promotes face shutting)
  4. A bunch of other reason...😂

Back