Tomorrow is the day

Sounds like a great round! Unfortunate that you didn’t advance but by the looks of it you played really well. Congrats!

Awesome you had a great time and are positive about it. You'll get em next time!

Well played @Tenputt! great to see you put up a round like that with the lights on!

Great job and way to stay positive with it. Playing with that sort of pressure is always different.... you did a hell of a job!!

Nice round! You played well. Maybe Next year.

The results are in. It was a fun round.

The first hole is a straightforward par 5, about 510 yards. I was nervous and just wanted to put myself in the fairway. I hit a 265 yard drive and was in the middle of the fairway. I had about 230 to the flag and hit my Cobra LTD X LS 5 wood. It was dead flush and I was about 25 feet above the hole, but it was not a severe slope, so I had a good eagle look. I hit my line and thought I made it, but it lipped out for a gimme birdie. This start helped my nerves and gave me confidence.

The second hole is a short par 4, with a dogleg around a pond. I hit the Cobra 5 wood and I ended up in a divot. Bad luck. I missed the green right and failed to get up and down, so I was back to even.

The third hole is another par 5. I had about 75 yards to the pin and made the putt for birdie, so I was back to one under and settled into the round.

The rest of the round had a lot of GIRs and pars. I did not have another birdie. I finished 3 over for the round and missed qualifying by one stroke. I had two three putts that I would really like to have back.

Even though I did not qualify, I felt really good about my play. I was net under par and it was my first individual stroke play tournament all year. The guys in my group were driving it by me by twenty yards all day, but I was able to not let that rattle me and I just played my game. If I only had one three putt, I would have qualified.

For me, golf is a competition against myself and I would have been happy with that round on a Saturday afternoon, so I have to feel pleased that I was able to shoot that score when the stakes were very high for me.

Thanks again for all the support. It really helped me.

proud of you, bud! being that close to qualifying proves you can totally do it. well done!

One stroke again. Damn. Heck of a round though man. Way to fight. Glad you enjoyed it and feel good about how you did.

Great job having fun out there and enjoying yourself. You’ll get em next year!

The first hole is a straightforward par 5, about 510 yards. I was nervous and just wanted to put myself in the fairway. I hit a 265 yard drive and was in the middle of the fairway. I had about 230 to the flag and hit my Cobra LTD X LS 5 wood. It was dead flush and I was about 25 feet above the hole, but it was not a severe slope, so I had a good eagle look. I hit my line and thought I made it, but it lipped out for a gimme birdie. This start helped my nerves and gave me confidence.

The second hole is a short par 4, with a dogleg around a pond. I hit the Cobra 5 wood and I ended up in a divot. Bad luck. I missed the green right and failed to get up and down, so I was back to even.

The third hole is another par 5. I had about 75 yards to the pin and made the putt for birdie, so I was back to one under and settled into the round.

The rest of the round had a lot of GIRs and pars. I did not have another birdie. I finished 3 over for the round and missed qualifying by one stroke. I had two three putts that I would really like to have back.

Even though I did not qualify, I felt really good about my play. I was net under par and it was my first individual stroke play tournament all year. The guys in my group were driving it by me by twenty yards all day, but I was able to not let that rattle me and I just played my game. If I only had one three putt, I would have qualified.

For me, golf is a competition against myself and I would have been happy with that round on a Saturday afternoon, so I have to feel pleased that I was able to shoot that score when the stakes were very high for me.

Good job dude. Bummer you didn’t get across the finish line with it, but damn you have to be proud of how you played and hung in there. ESP with guys who are bombing it by you, because that can frustrating real fast.

Hell of a round out there @Tenputt, glad you had fun too!

I am going to be trying to qualify for my state senior amateur. There will be 48 who get in, but 6 spots are exempt, so there are actually 42 spots available from 4 different qualifying venues. My venue has 42 entries, so if the numbers are similar at other venues, a little less than 25% of those seeking to qualify will get in.

I tried to qualify two years ago, when the qualifying was at my home course and missed by one stroke. I feel like the home court advantage was real. It is a long shot, because I am over 60 years of age and, of course, 50 and older can enter. Ten years are a big difference. Plus, the very best amateurs in the state of that age seek to qualify.

Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Any last minute advice is welcome. 😁
Just stay within yourself. Play to your strengths. No "hero" shots! Don't do anymore than you do in a normal round, and have fun!! Good luck!!

Way to give it a go @Tenputt . Solids like you played well and had a good time. You should be proud!

Good luck. Interested to hear.

Mate, that sounds like a great performance and you were just unlucky to have missed by one shot. What an incredible performance, and under a pretty high pressure situation you played the lights out. High effing five my man!

Well done and keep going! Competition play is different but it gets easier the more you do it.

Sounds like you played a hell of a round, and I'm sure your positive attitude helped with that.

good job 👊🏻

I just got a chance to catch up. Nice round. I’m happy that you played well and that you enjoyed the competitive round. You can take satisfaction from such good play - net under par in tournament play is very good.

And it’s always nice to see one of the older guys do well. :LOL:

Well played. As you noted there are many high quality Sr golfers. And as Sr at 50 it is quite advantageous to be nearer 50 than not. But you are approaching Super Sr Ha. As a 65 year old who plays places and my drives are 50 plus yards behind where they use to be. It's me vs me. You played under your cap in a high competition. Be proud of that. (y)

This is an awesome post. I feel like this is the way golf is supposed to be with an attitude (and quality of play) that i would like to emulate.
Congratulations on a great round despite not advancing.

Back