Too many tech decisions for average THP golfers?

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
Do you think the average THP golfer puts too much thought into:

grips, shafts, head weights, shafts weight, grips size, driver degree, driver weight, hot melding, iron size, top line looks, iron weights, putter length, putter weight, putter alignment lines, head shape, driver shaft flex, iron shaft flex, steel or graphite, perimeter weighting, cavity back, Forged or cast, hybrids or long irons, lead tape, graphite shell drivers, titanium drivers, weights in the front, weights in the back, weights on the side, 9 degree, 10.5, or 12, high launch, low launch , mid launch shafts for those drivers, Handcrafted shafts, rogue shafts, Fuji shafts, what CG should I use, adjustable lofts, coefficient of restitution, MOI, what about my smash factor, swing speed, two drivers or one, fairway woods or driving irons, 2 wedges, or 3, or 4, Bridgestone balls, titelist ball, pinnacle balls, Callaway balls, TM balls, urethane covers, 5 piece, 4 peice, 3 piece, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, TM clubs, etc etc etc. edit, forgot the add, new iron sets multiple times a year, new drivers, putters, hybrids and Faiways, along with the other stuff we we by over and over again, lol. plus about a hundred other things I didn't mention...

i mean it's fun to buy stuff, but how many of us are really good at this game? How many of us are scratch or better where most of this matters? I think the majority of us would benefit from a proper pro, although the tech does seem to help, I'm just wondering after reading what some people go through regarding their choices if we can go too far?

just a thought

p.s. If I continue to play I'll probably keep experimenting...

Last edited:
Do you think the average golfer puts too much thought into:

grips, shafts, head weights, shafts weight, grips size, driver degree, driver weight, hot melding, iron size, top line looks, iron weights, putter length, putter weight, putter alignment lines, head shape, driver shaft flex, iron shaft flex, steel or graphite, perimeter weighting, cavity back, Forged or cast, hybrids or long irons, lead tape, graphite shell drivers, titanium drivers, weights in the front, weights in the back, weights on the side, 9 degree, 10.5, or 12, high launch, low launch , mid launch shafts for those drivers, Handcrafted shafts, rogue shafts, Fuji shafts, what CG should I use, adjustable lofts, coefficient of restitution, MOI, what about my smash factor, swing speed, two drivers or one, fairway woods or driving irons, 2 wedges, or 3, or 4, Bridgestone balls, titelist ball, pinnacle balls, Callaway balls, TM balls, urethane covers, 5 piece, 4 peice, 3 piece, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, TM clubs, etc etc etc. plus about a hundred other things I didn't mention...

i mean it's fun to buy stuff, but how many of us are really good at this game? How many of us are scratch or better where most of this matters? I think the majority of us would benefit from a proper pro, although the tech does seem to help, I'm just wondering after reading what some people go through regarding their choices if we can go too far?

just a thought

To an extent, I think some of that stuff is overthinking it for the average hack. Don't get me wrong, getting fitted to a set is never the wrong decision but there's certainly an amount of tinkering that won't benefit the guy whose swing isn't repeatable at least 75-80 percent of the time in most cases when it comes to all these tweaks, IMHO.

What the heck do I know, though?

I don't think the average golfer really considers all those things. People who have memberships at Golf Clubs or people who play multiple times a week aren't your "average golfer". I wouldn't consider people who participate in this Forum average either. And that has nothing to do with skill or ability at the actual game.

I think the average golfer buys what he sees his favorite pro uses, or walks into a Golf shop and says "I need a new club/wood/iron/driver" and tries some out and buys what he or she "feels" best.

How would you define an "average golfer"?

I don't think the average golfer really considers all those things. People who have memberships at Golf Clubs or people who play multiple times a week aren't your "average golfer". I wouldn't consider people who participate in this Forum average either. And that has nothing to do with skill or ability at the actual game.

I think the average golfer buys what he sees his favorite pro uses, or walks into a Golf shop and says "I need a new club/wood/iron/driver" and tries some out and buys what he or she "feels" best.

Valid points, here. I also wouldn't consider the folks who post here (especially on a regular basis) your "average" golfer. Anyone who spends this much time and effort to be part of a golf community (online or otherwise) are a on a little bit deeper level with the game than your "average golfer" regardless of skill level.

I will say, however, that the internet and social media have played a much larger part in even the average golfer's decisions when it comes to the bag set up. I remember before I got into golf I walked into a golf store (this was around 96, maybe) and you could tell what people were going to be buying by the size of the store display (Callaway had the most impressive display in that store) and I think maybe the TaylorMade Bubble was just getting off it's feet (although it's all a little fuzzy 20+years later). TaylorMade and Callaway are still kings of the hill but there's a LOT more choices now.

My definition of an average golfer is the people on this site whom discuss golf issues regularly, probably not the guy who plays once every few months.

My definition of an average golfer is the people on this site whom discuss golf issues regularly, probably not the guy who plays once every few months.

I wouldn't consider some of the people here "Average Golfers" at all! Their breadth of knowledge is immense and their skill on the course is amazing.

I'm very curious what others here will say for sure.

I wouldn't consider some of the people here "Average Golfers" at all! Their breadth of knowledge is immense and their skill on the course is amazing.

I'm very curious what others here will say for sure.

Changed it to THP golfers, was more fitting after your comments, thanks.

grips, shafts, head weights, shafts weight, grips size, driver degree, driver weight, hot melding, iron size, top line looks, iron weights, putter length, putter weight, putter alignment lines, head shape, driver shaft flex, iron shaft flex, steel or graphite, perimeter weighting, cavity back, Forged or cast, hybrids or long irons, lead tape, graphite shell drivers, titanium drivers, weights in the front, weights in the back, weights on the side, 9 degree, 10.5, or 12, high launch, low launch , mid launch shafts for those drivers, Handcrafted shafts, rogue shafts, Fuji shafts, what CG should I use, adjustable lofts, coefficient of restitution, MOI, what about my smash factor, swing speed, two drivers or one, fairway woods or driving irons, 2 wedges, or 3, or 4, Bridgestone balls, titelist ball, pinnacle balls, Callaway balls, TM balls, urethane covers, 5 piece, 4 peice, 3 piece, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, TM clubs, etc etc etc. plus about a hundred other things I didn't mention...

just a thought

People like to spend their discretionary money on their hobbies. No more, no less IMO.

Dave

I would sum it up to having a passion for something and wanting to know more about. How many car tinkerers are nascar drivers? How many fantasy football GM's could actually GM a team, etc.

I'm not an expert on many of the technical discussions, but like to follow along to read the feedback of those you know what it is about and to read their feedback on the club.

Imo it's only as complicated as one makes it or wants it to be.

People like to spend their discretionary money on their hobbies. No more, no less IMO.

Dave

That's true, but wasn't my question. I'm all for peeps spending money on whatever they want, that's for sure! :D

Do people think too much? Yes and no. I think people tend to spend their thinking too much in the wrong places, and not enough where it will actually matter to their games.

Paralysis by over analysis is a real thing as well. It's definitely something that can happen when someone tries to overthink every minute detail.

Oddly enough though - all the tech in the world out there would actually benefit the average hack more than it would the scratch golfer as you said in the OP. Once someone gets to that level, they can probably play decently with just about anything, and things start coming down to preference or trying to squeeze the last bits of performance they can. But that same tech could drastically aid the mid to higher handicaps if they let it.

Equipment is also - especially for me - a very fun aspect to golf and one that makes me enjoy the game as much as I do. When I was younger I loved getting toys and add ons for said toys. When I was in high school I loved lacrosse equipment and loved having new heads and gloves, etc. now that I'm older golf fills those voids, and the equipment is a big part that I enjoy.

No because when it comes down to it most (not all) people gravitate to a particular brand(s) and that eliminates a good portion of the other variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when I first started leaning/playing golf, I read all the reviews, saw videos, what the pros have in the bags, etc and started replacing my hand-me-down clubs to a well known brand used set. did it make me a better player?? not sure. was I hitting the ball better, maybe. took golf lessons and 2 instructors told me that the clubs I owned were too shot for me. after a fitting, decision time - what do I buy? I went with cost, saved a bunch of money and no one on the course said anything about what I am using, just how straight the ball flies or a great put.

grips, shafts, head weights, shafts weight, grips size, driver degree, driver weight, hot melding, iron size, top line looks, iron weights, putter length, putter weight, putter alignment lines, head shape, driver shaft flex, iron shaft flex, steel or graphite, perimeter weighting, cavity back, Forged or cast, hybrids or long irons, lead tape, graphite shell drivers, titanium drivers, weights in the front, weights in the back, weights on the side, 9 degree, 10.5, or 12, high launch, low launch , mid launch shafts for those drivers, Handcrafted shafts, rogue shafts, Fuji shafts, what CG should I use, adjustable lofts, coefficient of restitution, MOI, what about my smash factor, swing speed, two drivers or one, fairway woods or driving irons, 2 wedges, or 3, or 4, Bridgestone balls, titelist ball, pinnacle balls, Callaway balls, TM balls, urethane covers, 5 piece, 4 peice, 3 piece, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, TM clubs, etc etc etc. edit, forgot the add, new iron sets multiple times a year, new drivers, putters, hybrids and Faiways, along with the other stuff we we by over and over again, lol. plus about a hundred other things I didn't mention...

just a thought

Simple answer, yes.

Personally....

Standard Golf Pride Grips
Stiff flex Driver-PW
Standard length
Odyssey putter, just grabbed a 35" putter.
Chromesoft golf balls

I sometimes venture into the Shafts/Grips/and Club Fitting forum but have no idea what people are talking about, such as: HZRDOUS? Project X LZ X-Stiff? Diana? Aldila? XP95 with MCC04 +2, cut my driver to 44.5, sliding this weight to play more of a fade, etc.

I'm lost on all of that. I just keep it simple as possible.

Imo it's only as complicated as one makes it or wants it to be.
I agree with this, I like to hear about the tech going into products, but at the end of the day it's as simple as what works (for me), and what doesn't.

For example, I have no clue what my swing weights are... and I don't really want to know or think about it... but I know certain people that mix tungsten powder into their head epoxy, or add hot melt to eek out a few grams here or there

For me personally the equipment/specs side of the game has been a fun journey complete with many stops along the way. I've been wrong, misinformed, ignorant and I've been correct, on point, and educated at various stages along the way. I'm sure I sounded like a complete jackwagon 4 years ago blabbering about shaft torque and CPM whilst swinging the club like an octopus falling out of a tree - but I had fun lol.

I think that each of us should experiment and tinker as much as makes us happy. Even if you're completely on the wrong track you'll probably come out the other side smarter than you entered.

My personal take, after having gone through a period where I tried to take the "more information is better" approach to improving my golf game, is that unless you're an actual or aspiring professional, or have significant resources and time (no real job, family/kids, etc.) is that I'm much better off focusing on the basics and working with, versus around or through, my physical limitations.

The important things for me are having clubs that fit and having realistic goals and expectations.

Back