Top 5 Middle Linebackers

I'm biased
1. Mike Singletary (Sic'em Bears!)
2. Lee Roy Jordan (America's Team)
3-5. three other guys

hard to name 5. have to separate by era (Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Tommy Nobis anybody?). account for the 3-4. new era is transitioning to the 4-2-5 nickel.

could probably name 10-15 who all have arguments for being in the top 5. longevity or lack of? might disqualify some.

only 2 MLB/ILB have 12 consecutive 100-tackle seasons: London Fletcher and Bobby Wagner

Last edited:
Zach Thomas probably isn’t top 5 but deserves a mention.

Also, a juiced up Brian Cushing was pretty scary

Zach Thomas probably isn’t top 5 but deserves a mention.

Also, a juiced up Brian Cushing was pretty scary
Thomas got a lot of love just for his determination. Despite his below average size he played as well as anybody of the era. I think he's definitely top 5 of the 90s.

Patrick Willis
Ray Lewis
Singletary
Seau
Luke Kuechly

I that order for me. Mostly showing my age there though as I really am not as family with the super old heads.

Zach Thomas is someone I always love watching too.

Top 5 should only be players that have a claim to #1.

Willis and Kuechly don't belong in the Top 5. Dominant players, but only 8 seasons each, far less than their peers. Willis/Kuechly/Wagner are 1a 1b 1c in whatever order you want, Wagner is in his 12th season and I wouldn't put Wagner in the Top 5. Same goes for Urlacher. I'd rank Zach Thomas ahead of Urlacher.

Does Seau count? He was mostly SAM.

Ray Lewis has a claim to #1 and T2 in murders
Mike Singletary has a claim to #1
If Lee Roy Jordan has a claim, so does Tommy Nobis. Short careers in this era though.
Dick Butkus?
Jack Lambert?
Chuck Bednarik?

Not sure how the old guts can be named without

1700483456250.jpeg. 1700483484990.jpeg

Been watching since the early 90’s and all I can say is Ray Lewis is the best I’ve ever seen. Urlacher is next and it’s a pretty wide gap to the next guys. Seems the outside LB spot is where the really talented athletes play these days.

Butkus, Nitschke, Lambert, Huff and Singletary. They played when you could legally send people to the hospital

Last edited:
Back