Lewis
Lambert
Butkus
Singletary
Urlacher
Nitschke

Who else? Who is in your top 5?

You listed 6

I'm biased, but Willie Lanier belongs in there somewhere.

Wisconsin math.
And if it’s just list of gread ones, Seau belongs on that list. So does Patrick Willis and Harry Carson probably.
The larger issue is, it should probably be interior LB, because not every team models a MLB, because not every team plays a 4:3

I kind of like Seau over Urlacher. I’m not sure either is top 5 though, but I’d have to think about it.

I kind of like Seau over Urlacher. I’m not sure either is top 5 though, but I’d have to think about it.
Wasn't Seau an outside backer though?

And if it’s just list of gread ones, Seau belongs on that list. So does Patrick Willis and Harry Carson probably.
The larger issue is, it should probably be interior LB, because not every team models a MLB, because not every team plays a 4:3
That's a fair point. The linebacker position has become much more positioning fluid.

Seau and Lewis were the best, urlacher beast mode. Lawrence Taylor and Patrick Willis

Butkus ok but don't really have views of that era.

Urlacher wouldnt sniff any top 5

Patrick Willis should already be in the HOF. Shortish career but he was the best LB almost every year of his career. Just a beast. If he had hung on for two more years and was average and was a 7time all pro in 10-11 years instead of 7 time in 8 he’d have been a lock.

Urlacher wouldnt sniff any top 5
Yeah I wouldn’t have him there. Honestly it’s not a position I really put a ton of thought into. He probably somewhere in 7-12 range you think?

There are definitely some that should be ranked above the people on my list (Lambert, Butkus, Nitschke, Schmidt, etc.), but I'm from a different generation so giving it a different perspective for the fun of it.

Ray Lewis
Mike Singletary
Junior Seau
Brian Urlacher
Patrick Willis

It's difficult for me to pick older players because I didn't watch them and I feel like linebackers are asked to do so much more now. I'd have to give it more thought. A handful that immediately came to mind:

Ray Lewis
Patrick Willis
Bobby Wagner
Brian Urlacher
Junior Seau

Is 5 a really hard number to count to? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Is 5 a really hard number to count to? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I noticed and fixed mine, but originally I was just trying to keep my number symmetrical to OPs 😅

I noticed and fixed mine, but originally I was just trying to keep my number symmetrical to OPs 😅
I understand the confusion I created.

Ray Lewis
Dick Butkus
Mike Singletary
Junior Seau
Luke Kuechly

I understand the confusion I created.
I also like it that OP stands for either original poster or Optimus Prime in this scenario ;)

I also like it that OP stands for either original poster or Optimus Prime in this scenario ;)
optimus prime basketball GIF

Who ya got?

Lewis
Lambert
Butkus
Singletary
Urlacher
Nitschke

Who else? Who is in your top 5?
If you are just talking Middle LB I would swap in Seau for Urlacher but they played different kinds of games.

I feel like there should be 2 list like a Pre 1995 and a Post 1995 because the games are dramatically different and I am not talking about these 2 specifically. It's the Old school guys versus the Newer generation.

Last edited:
So many of those guys would just be liabilities in today's game with how many penalties they would get. I feel like half of Ray Lewis' career would just be one big targeting flag.

The 2005-2006 Bears defense if I recall were among the greatest DVOA units of the modern era. 2008 they were good too.

Modern era obviously Lewis.

Urlacher for the above belongs.

Luke Kuechle a solid choice also

The 2005-2006 Bears defense if I recall were among the greatest DVOA units of the modern era. 2008 they were good too.

Modern era obviously Lewis.

Urlacher for the above belongs.

Luke Kuechle a solid choice also
I know post this is inside only, but you could argue (and be correct, in my opinion) that Urlacher wasn't even the best linebacker on the Bears. Urlacher got all the hype, but Briggs was the better overall player.

Back