Trick to removing stubborn iron head???

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m admittedly a novice, but 5 of the 6 heads I’m re-shafting came off easily with 30-45 seconds with a heat gun. This last one, I’ve given up on. Any tricks I can try to get this sucker off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a puller (which many dont need for steel) try a torch for more heat and rotate it around the entire area (no hot spots). It should break down and be able to be twisted off.

honestly more heat and if they are steel shafts give them a twist as your pulling is my trick, I have a cheap puller for graphite so that is a bit easier but mre heat always wins for me

I agree with JB. I had a wedge head a couple of weeks ago that I had to heat with the heat gun longer than normal to remove it from it's steel shaft. Keep heating around and up and down the hosel until it finally broke loose.

If using a puller/lever, more heat, and something to catch the head. It's gonna POP!

With steel shafts, you can just heat and twist.

Not using a puller, just a rubber shaft guard and clamp. I had the heat gun on it four or five times for a minute and it just wouldn’t budge. I even slammed it on the concrete a few times on my last effort. I’ll give it another go later on. It is a steel shaft; I’m not comfortable enough to mess with a graphite shaft.

get an oveglove or something heat resistant, heat that head up, then grab and TWIST, all you need to do is break the seal

crowbar and a towel if necessary

Blow about 150 lbs of compressed air down the shaft while your heating it, but stand clear of the ends

get an oveglove or something heat resistant, heat that head up, then grab and TWIST, all you need to do is break the seal

crowbar and a towel if necessary

Lol, that’s precisely what I’ve been doing. One minute with the heat gun, turning slowly and going slowly up and down the hosel. On the others, when the ferrule started getting soft and bubbly, quickly put the gun down, grab and turn. I use these grippy gardening gloves to grab the head, no glove on the off hand, no problem. I’m about to give it another go, maybe use gloves on both hands, because the first go around left my bare hand pretty chapped

Screw it, I’m just going to order another head. Just spent another few rounds going at it, to no avail.

Lol, that’s precisely what I’ve been doing. One minute with the heat gun, turning slowly and going slowly up and down the hosel. On the others, when the ferrule started getting soft and bubbly, quickly put the gun down, grab and turn. I use these grippy gardening gloves to grab the head, no glove on the off hand, no problem. I’m about to give it another go, maybe use gloves on both hands, because the first go around left my bare hand pretty chapped

Are you trying to save the ferrule? Most of the time when we are removing heads, that ferrule will be utter goo by the time we are taking a head off.

The heat gun is probably not generating enough heat. Using a hand torch will do the trick. When it gets the hosel hot enough, you'll no doubt see a puff of smoke come out and the shaft should come out very easily then. To guard against melting the ferrule, wrap a wet cloth around the ferrule during this process and you should be fine.

NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS WITH GRAPHITE!!!

Are you trying to save the ferrule? Most of the time when we are removing heads, that ferrule will be utter goo by the time we are taking a head off.

Not saving the ferrule. It was already wasted. Tried a hammer, slamming it on concrete, no luck. It’s a $21 head, I’ll just get another.

The heat gun is probably not generating enough heat. Using a hand torch will do the trick. When it gets the hosel hot enough, you'll no doubt see a puff of smoke come out and the shaft should come out very easily then. To guard against melting the ferrule, wrap a wet cloth around the ferrule during this process and you should be fine.

NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS WITH GRAPHITE!!!

The gun worked like a charm for the other five. No idea what the deal is with this one.

If I had a torch I’d give it a go but I don’t do this often enough to justify getting one, thanks for the input though.

Back