True Temper Dynamic Gold X7

Very cool! I thought about X7's before I bought my x100's last month. I just thought they'd be a little too stiff for me. Glad they're working out for you and keep the updated coming!

I'm not able to play or make a ton of swings just yet because I'm dealing with a hand injury, but I wanted to share some immediate thoughts. First, some background on me. I've only been playing golf since mid 2013 and since then have been through a few fittings over the past several years. In mid 2014 I went through a fitting at a Taylormade Performance lab and was fit for KBS Tour X/130 shafts and was averaging a 90+ mph swing speed with a 7 iron with a few reaching 95 mph. I continued to work on an improve my swing and was fit at the end of 2015 by my instructor using FlightScope and found that my average 7 iron speed was 98 mph with a few between 100-101. My instructor wanted to give me an old set of Rifle 7.0 shafts and suggested either C-Taper X or Project X 7.0 shafts if I were to buy new shafts but the stiffest shaft my club had was C-Taper Stiff and Project X 6.5. At the time I was playing Bridgestone J15 CB's with UST Recoil 125 F4 (stiff) and struggled with a ball flight that was over 50 yards high and massively hooked no matter what I did. I was playing better and shooting lower scores the year before with my Taylormade 2014 TP CB's with KBS Tour X/130 shafts. The UST's were horrible for me. I really didn't like the feel of the stepless shafts, but decided to try the X versions at Golfsmith on GC2. I was able to try them in a Mizuno CB head and found that even those launched a few degrees higher than ideal with up to 1k more spin, and still had peak heights of 40+ yards. The X7's weren't available through anyone I could find at the time so I bought a used set of 714 AP2's with X100's to at least get me in the right direction, and they did, but I just hit them too high despite getting good shaft lean/delofting my irons on video during lessons. Then I went to the THP/Hogan event and received the new PTx cb irons with KBS-Tour V 120/X shafts. The shafts were okay, but I was back to hitting 45+ yard high shots that hooked a lot. I ended up playing well with them most of the time during the event but struggled with tempo with them and had to lay the face open at address to minimize the hooks. Jamie, the fitter for Hogan, commented that I needed something heavier/stiffer and then Tyler, the other Hogan rep playing, said the same thing the following day. So that all ultimately led to me giving the X7's a try.

Thanks for the detail background story and how you've transitioned into these. My buddy is currently playing XRs with KBS Tour X shafts, he hits the ball a mile high, carries his PW 150 and ballooned one out to 180 the other day. I was hesitant to fit him to the C-taper fearing the boardiness as you've described. I wasn't aware of the X7s being out, otherwise I'd have him get these, I'm sure the shaft change next season these are it unless there are other similar options to consider for him.

I got two 9 hole rounds in with my Hogan PTx/X7 irons and saw the same that I've been seeing. I'm getting the same distances that I got with my 714 AP2/X100 irons, but a more reasonable max height and much more controlled spin resulting in much more control of my misses. I was fighting some degree of pull and/or hook today, but not one shot was out of control. All my approach shots that missed the green were near pin high and in a playable location. I can't recommend these enough for someone with a high ball flight when hitting X100 or stiffer shafts.

Last edited:
I saw today that Ryan Brehm won the Winco Foods Portland Open with X7 shafts in his irons.

I broke out the irons for 9 holes today - the first time since having had surgery earlier this month. I was afraid that the X7's would be too much for my hand/swing since I'm almost 5 months out of practice and can feel that my left arm is weak in general. But to my surprise everything seems fine. I only hit from 165 or less to ease back in to things. 8 iron was right around 162 and 9 iron was my usual 150. Aside from a block on my first shot I had no major mishits and I still think these shafts have finally helped me get my spin under control which plays a critical role on mis-hits. Even the block was roughly 10 yards right of the green and 15 short, and it's not unusual for me to have a hit like that at least once a round with two healthy hands. I only hit the green on 3/9 approach shots, but all misses where near the green and gave me an opportunity for an easy chip/pitch. The short game let me down though and it's obvious I'm going to need some time to get back to where I was in that category.

I I also hit three different balls - Tour Preferred, Tour Preferred X, and B330-S (all previous generation). I didn't see any noticeable difference in distance, but the X seemed to flight out a little lower than the other two and provided a better ball flight for my eye.

I'm still of the mindset that more people could game these if they gave them a try. Especially those that are in C-taper X or Project X 7.0's. That being said, my irons were designed to spin a little more than a lot of options out currently so they may not fit well with lower spinning heads. I've only hit them with 716 MB's and PTx's.

I just wanted to give an update on my X7's. I've been able to get them on the course for practice at least 20 times including for a few rounds of golf, and upwards of 30 range sessions. I'm still very happy with them and can't see myself going to anything else anytime soon. I still feel like they are identical in performance and feel to X100's, only they provide me a little lower ball flight, a little less spin, and a little more control. I haven't noticed any change in carry distances over the X100's either.

I just wanted to give an update on my X7's. I've been able to get them on the course for practice at least 20 times including for a few rounds of golf, and upwards of 30 range sessions. I'm still very happy with them and can't see myself going to anything else anytime soon. I still feel like they are identical in performance and feel to X100's, only they provide me a little lower ball flight, a little less spin, and a little more control. I haven't noticed any change in carry distances over the X100's either.
been looking at x7s for my buddy ever since your review, but I saw a set of x100s was just too good of a deal to pass up, I plan on tipping it for him to hopefully get similar results.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I still feel like they are identical in performance and feel to X100's, only they provide me a little lower ball flight, a little less spin, and a little more control. I haven't noticed any change in carry distances over the X100's either.

This is the exact reason I actually steered away from these this year. I have a driver SS of about 115 and pretty quick tempo, but my ball flight has always been lower than average and I felt my TT DG iron shafts weren't doing me any favors so I'm going with different shafts for 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shape a draw and XP's X100 HS are the ticket for me, I need the spin to get the ball turning...Vs KBS Tour V 120x knuckle balls that don't come back...have not tried the X7's, but do like the S400's...I was working too hard in S400 mid-long irons with the weight, however the 6,7,8i were lovely. I am 49y/105ss no spring chicken...

I've moved on from the X7's. I loved them, but went through a Club Champion fitting and they didn't have them and the Project X LZ 6.5 worked well with the heads I liked so I went that route. But a friend of mine is now testing my Hogan PTx irons with X7's and I thought I'd share some of his numbers. He swings around 90 mph with a 6 iron (I am between 96-98 on average) and he loves the shafts. This photo shows a comparison between the Hogans/X7's on top and Srixon Z945's with S400's on the bottom:

0C550132-9184-4FC2-8FB3-C78F711FAE2D_zpszseyws1i.jpg

The spin is higher with the Hogan's but I think that's due to the head design. The carry is only marginally longer with the Srixon's and they are one degree stronger (29 vs 30). The total distance was longer for the Srixon's but I attribute that to the spin differences. The Hogan X7's also went considerably straighter than the Srixon's as well, despite having more spin. Considering the X7's/S400's weigh the same I doubt they are affecting path/face angle numbers and that the accuracy is coming from some other factors in the build. I'm sure the added stiffness is helping here at least to some degree, though the PTx head is more forgiving than the Z945.

Long story short, I wouldn't discount these just because they are very stout.

Back