Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these go across the fairway? That's funky.

Sort of, it's a 160 yard par 3, all downhill (I'm standing on the red tees for the pic), so they should not be an issue. What they do is really take the eye, and disguise just how downhill and just how steep the run down to the green behind them is. Basically, even from 160 yards, it's a wedge/9i at most. The green slopes back to front steeply, so the back of the green you can see gives you an impression of relative flatness.

Insidious, I tells ye.

Sort of, it's a 160 yard par 3, all downhill (I'm standing on the red tees for the pic), so they should not be an issue. What they do is really take the eye, and disguise just how downhill and just how steep the run down to the green behind them is. Basically, even from 160 yards, it's a wedge/9i at most. The green slopes back to front steeply, so the back of the green you can see gives you an impression of relative flatness.

Insidious, I tells ye.

160? Downhill? Umm....yeah. That’s a 25* hybrid for this old man.

#weaksauce

That looks fun thommo.sx - Downhill par 3 holes are always a bit of a thrill as I don't often play in areas of any real elevation.

After a 10 day work trip I'm hoping to squeeze a round in this week between the raindrops. Shooting for 18 early Thursday morning, but I might be able to hit the range and play 9 tomorrow afternoon.

That's a pretty small warship. Carries, what 1" guns?

If that. “USS Neversail” don’t need no stinking guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of pics from the weekend:

eAs11rC.jpg

0cC66yP.jpg

Both evil holes - both try and trick you into hitting way more club than you actually need. Fell foul of it on the lower hole (the bonsai cedars/topiary hedges whatever they are totally take the eye, and disguise the huge drop in front of the green), managed to work it out on the upper one (you're so worried about the tree right in front of you guarding the main fairway that you almost forget you can play a 9i straight at the water, and then have just another 9i over the water). Just a few course design subtleties, and possible shot choices to combat them, I'm slowly cottoning on to.

That’s a cool hole. Thanks for sharing.

ola dave, that was me. Sorry i meant it as a joke, my wife has just started playing and i get it is super hard for a lot of people to just get going in the game. Never mind breaking score barriers and such.

Keep your chin up, you'll have a breakthrough moment. Also sorry again :)

not quite a rant from the wild woman golfer, more of a reminder from the wild woman golfer:

It’s okay to take a hobby like golf seriously. I enjoy, when i can, taking lessons and going to the range and practicing my chipping. I like to work at physical activities, and showing progress. Taking it too seriously might be an issue. We all can’t be a pro and spend 6 hours on the course and 3 in the gym everyday, which is how much those folks work - we have to pay bills and do what we can.

But there is a thing called the plateau - it’s a real honest-to-goodness sports term about learning a physical activity. Those of you who don’t know, in a former life i was an athletic trainer and studied this crap. So as we learn, there is usually a learning curve - ie we show rapid progress at learning a movement. That rapid learning cannot continue (unless you’re the tiny %age of crazy athletic people). Eventually we reach a plateau, wherein we stop seeing any progress at all. Some even see this plateau as backwards slides.

This moment is all perception. Your rapid pace forward suddenly becomes a glacial pace forward, and you start to worry “is this it?!” not to worry, it’s just the plateau.

Take another series of lessons and most importantly *relax.* golf must be played in a relaxed frame of mind. How many times do we hear loosen your grip, you looked tight, etc? I myself start to think too much which causes tension in my swing.

So when you’re in the plateau, it’s a good time to take a breath and remember something important:

Golf is fun. It’s okay to have fun.

Eventually, as you plow forward with your glacial progress (glacial movement forward is still progress!), you will reach another ah ha! Breakthrough moment, and you’ll see another little leap forward in learning, kind of like a kid’s growth spurts. Then you’ll reach another plateau, then another breakthrough. It’s a cycle.

Keep perspective: This is fun.

Parting positive shot: Critique, don’t criticize! Switch your internal monologue from “omg i ducking suck” to “that ball flight was great even if it went the wrong way, but i think i might have gotten my hands around too quickly. But i advanced the ball. Next shot is better.”

you probably have one of the best attitudes about the game and overall. Just remember golf is hard, it was not meant to be easy if it was the hole would be 10x as large. You have to do it in a way that makes you happy and no one else.
You know for sure that you will always be apart of the group here that has some quirky bonds.

remember it’s play golf, not work golf!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

dave, dave, dave. My friend, don't lose the faith. If you need a break, it's all good, but don't leave the game. I've said it in other threads around thp, "do something dumb. Make it an afternoon goof. Take some friends out and play silly games on the course. Try to hit a specific tree. Play every shot out of the rough. Ignore the rules."

i'm telling you, as a friend, keeping score is the fastest way to heartbreak in golf. I fluff, i gimme, i toss out of rough, and i have a great time. All i do is try to hit shots. Now, i do get frustrated and let the steam out, but, that's just a personality flaw with me.

Blow off the bad hits, and enjoy the sweet ones.

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it. True to my word I have taken a break since 7/8 from the forum and from most golf practice. I played in my work league last week, when my partner had a makeup round last Thursday, and then tonight. I've really taken to heart the idea to just go out there and have fun. The reset button has helped.

Interestingly enough the results have been much better as I've mostly eliminated the dreaded right iron shot miss that has ruined several rounds this year. I've scored 47, 46, and then tonight a 40. 40 ties my 2nd best 9 hole round ever. I was +2 going into #9 and ended with a double for the 40 (+4).

I've also joined the F8 driver club. I bought one on Saturday from Budget. I paid more than most of you guys did as mine was $199 minus 15%, but I'm happy to join even if I'm late and a little more expensive. The M2 has not worked out very well. I'm hitting it relatively short (avg 195 vs 205 w/other drivers) and while my fairway hit percent is pretty good @ 53.9%, remember I'm FAR from #internetlong and have found mishits suffer distance wise. My F8 will come with the MRC Tensei 50 regular flex as I'm trying to eek out whatever distance I can. I have some other shafts I could re-tip if this one doesn't work out. It's too bad because the M2 looks awesome.

I have a lesson Saturday 8/3 and we'll see if I can find where my power leaks are.

Dave

Jen is out playing today and I hope she can put the weekend disaster behind her and have a bit more respectable score to get some confidence back before the mixed competition we are playing in at the weekend
I might try and get to the range on Friday evening, or depending on where Jen is for work, we might try and get to the course to play a few holes so that I can swing a club before the weekend competition

I have put in a holiday request for a day off on Friday next week as it is out captains away day and it is at a course that I really like and at a price that is well worth a day out

£55 for the day - coffee and bacon sandwich when you arrive, 9 holes of golf, lunch, 18 holes of golf, 2 course meal and prizes

The course is a little gem with a couple of back to back par 3 holes that can really wreck your score if you get them wrong

http://www.brancepeth-castle-golf.co.uk/page.aspx?pid=29536

Jen is out playing today and I hope she can put the weekend disaster behind her and have a bit more respectable score to get some confidence back before the mixed competition we are playing in at the weekend
I might try and get to the range on Friday evening, or depending on where Jen is for work, we might try and get to the course to play a few holes so that I can swing a club before the weekend competition

I have put in a holiday request for a day off on Friday next week as it is out captains away day and it is at a course that I really like and at a price that is well worth a day out

£55 for the day - coffee and bacon sandwich when you arrive, 9 holes of golf, lunch, 18 holes of golf, 2 course meal and prizes

The course is a little gem with a couple of back to back par 3 holes that can really wreck your score if you get them wrong

http://www.brancepeth-castle-golf.co.uk/page.aspx?pid=29536

My profile pic is one of those par 3's with the castle behind the tee box

Good morning/afternoon everyone. I need to sneak out of work early today and go play, high is 80 today!!!! Seems like everyone had been playing some good golf lately, keep it up.

On a whim last weekend, I changed my driver loft to its maximum (13.5). While it was a windy day, I noticed a 10-15 yd distance loss.

I will change it back to 12.5 tonight, even though I won’t need it until at least 8/2 (next time I’ll have time for 18, hopefully).

Otherwise, my bag is set for the season. Keep working with and learning my 919 HMs. They are starting to dial in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntanygd760 is a big bowler as well.

Please do share the lesson content and your evaluation of it. It's may be the most innocuous thing you mention that can be revelatory to someone here.

Lesson I think went really well yesterday. I enjoyed seeing the stats that show what I am doing... More specifically what I am doing wrong.

My body not turning during my swing is the main contributor to my issues. We worked on a couple drills to get my upper body to turn during the swing rather than at the end of the swing. This and my grip of the club contributes to why I hit my ball fat quite often. We changed my left hand grip to be more over the club and an inch down the club grip.

It really is amazing how much golf is similar to bowling, in that the specific stats that one would look at apply to both sports. I have taken some lessons for my bowling game at training facility the USBC, bowling's governing body, has in Arlington, Texas. The ITRC, international Training and Research Center, has great coaches and provides some of the exact type of technology to track ball movement as it moves down the lane, ball revolutions, ball speed, angle of entry into the pins etc. I could relate a lot of what the coach at the lessons was showing me.

So, I present my short video showing my dumpster fire swing compared to Michielle Wie LOL!

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?academy=PGSS&accountid=2494346&swingid=4572942

Lesson I think went really well yesterday. I enjoyed seeing the stats that show what I am doing... More specifically what I am doing wrong.

My body not turning during my swing is the main contributor to my issues. We worked on a couple drills to get my upper body to turn during the swing rather than at the end of the swing. This and my grip of the club contributes to why I hit my ball fat quite often. We changed my left hand grip to be more over the club and an inch down the club grip.

It really is amazing how much golf is similar to bowling, in that the specific stats that one would look at apply to both sports. I have taken some lessons for my bowling game at training facility the USBC, bowling's governing body, has in Arlington, Texas. The ITRC, international Training and Research Center, has great coaches and provides some of the exact type of technology to track ball movement as it moves down the lane, ball revolutions, ball speed, angle of entry into the pins etc. I could relate a lot of what the coach at the lessons was showing me.

So, I present my short video showing my dumpster fire swing compared to Michielle Wie LOL!

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?academy=PGSS&accountid=2494346&swingid=4572942

Hmmmm...I see the issue...you're not a 6 foot tall Asian-American woman.

Also, forgot to mention that we talked about clubs and he reviewed my Callaway set and said the irons I have were actually pretty good for my needs right now. My driver, however, was on the lower end of quality. So, I think I am looking for a new driver.

I will be looking at a pre-owned club to replace my current driver.

I ended up getting a round in yesterday and shot a 93! Was able to take a bit of time and work on my grip and my swing. The back 9 really is better for me on this course. Shot 48/45 with a birdie and a par on 13 and 14.

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it. True to my word I have taken a break since 7/8 from the forum and from most golf practice. I played in my work league last week, when my partner had a makeup round last Thursday, and then tonight. I've really taken to heart the idea to just go out there and have fun. The reset button has helped.

Interestingly enough the results have been much better as I've mostly eliminated the dreaded right iron shot miss that has ruined several rounds this year. I've scored 47, 46, and then tonight a 40. 40 ties my 2nd best 9 hole round ever. I was +2 going into #9 and ended with a double for the 40 (+4).

I've also joined the F8 driver club. I bought one on Saturday from Budget. I paid more than most of you guys did as mine was $199 minus 15%, but I'm happy to join even if I'm late and a little more expensive. The M2 has not worked out very well. I'm hitting it relatively short (avg 195 vs 205 w/other drivers) and while my fairway hit percent is pretty good @ 53.9%, remember I'm FAR from #internetlong and have found mishits suffer distance wise. My F8 will come with the MRC Tensei 50 regular flex as I'm trying to eek out whatever distance I can. I have some other shafts I could re-tip if this one doesn't work out. It's too bad because the M2 looks awesome.

I have a lesson Saturday 8/3 and we'll see if I can find where my power leaks are.

Dave

Well, hey there, stranger!

Good to see the reset got you back into a good headspace.

I really like my F8. I usually have a fear of my drivers, but I feel pretty good when setting up with this one. Personal settings are: 10.5*D, and the weight is in the heel position. (FWIW, shaft is 43.5" regular flex Proj X Even Flow Blue.) As always, big thanks to racingfarmer.

Also, forgot to mention that we talked about clubs and he reviewed my Callaway set and said the irons I have were actually pretty good for my needs right now. My driver, however, was on the lower end of quality. So, I think I am looking for a new driver.

I will be looking at a pre-owned club to replace my current driver.

I ended up getting a round in yesterday and shot a 93! Was able to take a bit of time and work on my grip and my swing. The back 9 really is better for me on this course. Shot 48/45 with a birdie and a par on 13 and 14.

Nice! By the way, I have a Cobra F6 driver that was supplanted by the F8, that I'll give you a nice price on, if you're interested.

Nice! By the way, I have a Cobra F6 driver that was supplanted by the F8, that I'll give you a nice price on, if you're interested.

Thanks, will definitely let you know. I am heading to a local golf shop to see if they have anything.

Heard from Jen earlier, she had a bit of a rough day on the course, not for the golf, but with the heat we have had today and she was stung by a wasp and almost fainted so was given a lift off the course by one of the greens staff on the 14th hole
Spoke to her a few minutes ago and she is back home after having a bite to eat at the club and a couple glasses of cold water to cool down and she said she feels much better now

She said she felt fine up until the point she was stung, so she is assuming she has had a bit of a reaction which, combined with the heat, has caused her to almost faint

I think Grins might do this, but, have any of you drilled with the hockey grip to promote the proper hinge point at the bottom of the swing? Saw it on a Mike Malaska vid, and tried it yesterday.

At least bowling is trying to reign in the equipment some. Won't change the pro game much but will hopefully cut down on guys throwing 12 mph and 150 rpms averaging 210. The bad part of bowling v golf is the lane looks the same and people don't get you can have bethpage hard vs pitch n putt and they look exactly the same.

At least bowling is trying to reign in the equipment some. Won't change the pro game much but will hopefully cut down on guys throwing 12 mph and 150 rpms averaging 210. The bad part of bowling v golf is the lane looks the same and people don't get you can have bethpage hard vs pitch n putt and they look exactly the same.

All about the oiling, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back