Trying to Break 100

Weird day. I felt like I played really well though it was my worse score on this course in a while. Mainly due to a lot of missed putts. Everything else was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the curse of being a Steelers fan. :oops:

So, yesterday, I hit some really nice pokes. One drive, a few PWs onto the green, a couple of 7Ws (which is starting to become my favorite-until-it-turns-on-me club).

I've been messing around with the swing, and seem to have found one that works alright, for the most part, with the irons. (I'm discovering that my PW is my 100-yard club when the swing works.)

Topped quite a few 5 & 6 hybrids so there is more to be discovered about them. I think a lot of it is ball placement in the stance.

I've noted, that, since I'm playing my ball way back in the stance, my iron play is much better, and my hybrids are much better. All of the years I played them in the middle of my stance wasted. Or not. Lol.

Putting still remains solid, but the inability to judge green speed killed me yesterday, with the highest 3-putt count in the last few rounds. It didn't help that I left myself some loooong putts with my approach game. I've gone to taking a longer backswing with the putter, and it feels much more natural.

What does one do when one has a revelation about one's game? Go with the newfound thoughts, which may be against the grain of standard swing theory? Or embrace the new discovery?

Let me expound.

I think I'm a naturally handsy/wristy player. A good bit of the time, when I concentrate on using them more than the body turn, my iron striking is noticeably better than when I try to leave them passive. So, (in my everlasting quest for mediocrity) I've started to go back to the "short backswing, fire the right hand" swing for my irons. It does require more timing, but, that will develop. (Thank you, Monty Sheinblum!!) I also am using this approach with my hybrids, and 7W. The hybrids, are "Meh." for the most part, and the 7W vacillates between worm burners and absolutely bombs down the fairway.

One of my regular golf buddies told me I'll not be able to post a good core (let's say mid-80's) with the length I have per club. while this may be accurate, I'd rather hit short, consistent shots because it makes the game more enjoyable.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...One of my regular golf buddies told me I'll not be able to post a good core (let's say mid-80's) with the length I have per club. while this may be accurate, I'd rather hit short, consistent shots because it makes the game more enjoyable.

If you're playing the appropriate tees, you'll score a lot better with short, consistent shots than you will with tops, shanks, duffs, OBs and digging your ball out of the bushes and taking penalty strokes all day! I play with a few guys in their 70s who aren't long hitters at all - but everything is down the middle, they have good short games and are good putters. They shoot in the 70s and 80s from 5500-5800 yards (depending on which tees we're playing).

If you're playing back at 6500+ yards, they're probably right though - it's hard to score well if you rarely have a chance at a GIR.

One of my regular golf buddies told me I'll not be able to post a good core (let's say mid-80's) with the length I have per club.

Shorter distance alone won't stop you from being in the mid 80's. Having the option to fire a bomb is certainly a good tool to have, but not needed to get to mid 80's IMHO.

Let's say your max is a 200 yard drive, and 165 off the deck with a hybrid. With accurate shots you can make it into the green in three or less for anything under 530. That doesn't account for hazards you have to work around, but the long bomber has to lay up for doglegs or hazards too. If you have a solid approach and putting game, you can still post low scores.

This is probably common sense, but make sure you play the right club for you, and not what your buddies hit. I'm often hitting a three or four hybrid where my son is hitting a 6 iron.

Food for thought: What would help your game more, hit 10% further or 10% more accurately?

Played my 3rd round of the year yesterday and finally broke 100 with a 46/49-95. Honestly, had my short game been better I could have broke 90. I drove the ball well, including 71% FIR on the back nine. Iron play may have been the best ever. I think I had maybe 2 really bad iron shots. I parred 2 of the first 3 holes and even had a birdie! I was cruising along on the back and after the 12th hole I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I haven't had a triple bogey yet". You can guess what happened next. Triples on the 13th and 16th. Water balls on the 16th and 17th. Some truly bad greenside play as well.

I posted this in the Live thread, but on the 12th I hit a decent drive in the FW. I had 143 to the pin, it was a bit of a blind shot. I could see the top of the flag but not the green. I hit a really nice 7i that started just left of the flag and slowly drifted right. I'm thinking that it could be pretty good if I got the distance right. I get up to the green and see this.

20210418_171629.jpg

One of my regular golf buddies told me I'll not be able to post a good core (let's say mid-80's) with the length I have per club. while this may be accurate, I'd rather hit short, consistent shots because it makes the game more enjoyable.

I'm not a big hitter either. Maybe even shorter than you, as my PW is good for maybe 70 yards, my driver is 200 max, and typically 180-190. Due to limited range of motion in my lower back, I don't have a full back swing.

However, I have shot in the 80s a few times this year, on a those rarified occasions where everything comes together. It puts a premium on short chip shots. You have to be able to get close enough to the hole to one putt to hit par, or two putt for bogey...unless it takes four to get on a par 4 hole. Then it's REALLY important to get close!

Typical par four for me is three on IF (BIG IF I don't screw the pooch on the chip shot), and a one or two putt. I'll take bogey golf all day. For me, that's a good day. Birdies are simply a matter of luck.

But, it's doable. Consider it this way.....with good shots using only a 7 iron, you can be on a 375 yard par 4 in three. At least theoretically!

I had a couple good days this weekend. Had some relatives in from out of state, and we played both days. Shot 96 on Saturday on a 69 par course. Had one blow up hole where I skulled my chip, then skulled it again coming back. Took a 7 on a par 3 hole. That stung. I figured the ball was stupid and I pitched it out into the woods, and things went smooth after that! On Sunday, I shot 98 on a 72 par course. 53 on the front, and 45 on the back. Had a "blow-up hole" on the front there too.

The thing was, the short game and putting was working well. Just a couple big fat mistakes on both days. Keep from doing that, and BAM! in contention to break 90!

Last edited:
Shorter distance alone won't stop you from being in the mid 80's. Having the option to fire a bomb is certainly a good tool to have, but not needed to get to mid 80's IMHO.

Let's say your max is a 200 yard drive, and 165 off the deck with a hybrid. With accurate shots you can make it into the green in three or less for anything under 530. That doesn't account for hazards you have to work around, but the long bomber has to lay up for doglegs or hazards too. If you have a solid approach and putting game, you can still post low scores.

This is probably common sense, but make sure you play the right club for you, and not what your buddies hit. I'm often hitting a three or four hybrid where my son is hitting a 6 iron.

Food for thought: What would help your game more, hit 10% further or 10% more accurately?
Hmmm. Very good question. If I could simply eliminate bad shots, I'd probably be a low-90's guy, lol.
But, as a mental exercise, I'd prefer to be 10% more accurate.

I think I'm a naturally handsy/wristy player.

I read this and instantly nodded, as that was (and still is) something I struggle with in all facets of my game, including chipping and putting. In my first lesson this year, my instructor noted I was using too much of my wrists/hands, which resulted in me hitting behind the ball way too far (3-4 inches) and basically ruining any chance I had at decent shots. However, he said the root cause (that he could see) was that I was losing my balance during my swing, causing me to reflexively reach out with my wrists on my downswing. He had me try swinging completely flat footed, which felt really strange and was actually a little difficult to do...but it totally worked. He then had me work on thinking about someone pushing my arms back during my backswing as opposed to suddenly cocking my wrists, and that worked too. Finally, he noted that I have a tendency to bring my club up too high which hurts my ability to create good contact with the ball - I just lose control too easily. He had me practice bringing the club up so that I stop when my hands are around my ear (roughly a 3 count), then swing down.

All of the above might make me look a little strange out on the course, but I can't deny the results - I now make solid contact more often then not. I knew something was working when I could duplicate the results at my local driving range off of a mat, something which I have struggled with my entire life, and I'm happy to say its carried forward to real rounds too. It helps a lot that I have an instructor who is very good at breaking things down into 2-3 simple concepts to understand and work on - I'm not sophisticated enough in my golf knowledge right now to process much else, and keeping things simple allows me to focus better during my swing.

See some people struggling with chipping. This is a fantastic video to solidify your chipping. Are you doing these things? If not, you should:

Interesting stuff there. I've always stood further back which means I'm pitching rather than chipping. No surprise the really short chips give me trouble. Sometimes I'd rather be 20 yards further back because it requires less touch the way I do it. I never thought about why I would chunk it when I stand further back. I also thought the club head was supposed to be laying flat on the bottom. I'll have to give this one a try.

Hmmm. Very good question. If I could simply eliminate bad shots, I'd probably be a low-90's guy, lol.
But, as a mental exercise, I'd prefer to be 10% more accurate.

Years ago my wife as an in home health care provider took care of a guy who was a retired teacher and high school golf coach. Before he had a stroke he carried a 3 handicap. He told me his typical drive was around 200 yards. A couple friends of his at the country club said he was money inside of 100 yards. His short game more than made up for his lack of distance. I wish I could be that kind of player. I'd gladly give up distance for that.

53 through 9, and drenched again. I've had just about enough of this British weather, but there's 1 more pair of golf-fit trousers to mess up left for the week.

somehow i'm leaving my ability to hit a ball off the teebox at hole 5 and pick it back up at hole 9.
The par 3 6th with its water carry, option to bail right. It's just 135 to get over, i've hit over more intimidating lakes before without issue. Here there appear to alternately be magnetic bushes on the right, and magnetic ground just behind the ball.
The par 5 7th with the yellow tees tucked way back with 100y of rough to the fairway has me instinctively swinging for the fences and as a result i've topped every shot there so far. Hurts, it's actually very short for a par 5.
The par 3 8th, 212y. TRIED to take my medicine today, with an easy 7i off the tee. Almost hooked it into the bushes, then whacked a pitch through the green...

To add insult to injury, by rating they're the easiest 3 of the front 9, too. Go figure o_O

Don't listen to him Hammy, I'm not long off the tee and my PW is right around your length. I can regularly post low/mid 80s scores on 62-6400 yard courses cause I really work my short game.
It can be a commitment but it's well worth it in my opinion. For example, things are just getting open up here and the only grass range just opened up. Monday I spent over 2 1/2 hours hitting over 200 balls concentrating on chipping from 25 to 75 yards with my 7iron to 58 lob wedge then another hour in the practice bunker. It's not for everyone, myself I would rather be playing but, I do this every spring and will do this one more time when my new Morgan Cup bag gets here and I should be good for the summer. And yes, a growler of stout was consumed so it was a good time! 😎

Took advantage of the good weather and played 11 holes, but it was four on the back nine and seven on the front nine, as the course was crazy crowded and my buddy and I saw things open up on the front nine so we hopped over. As such, I don’t have an official score but I bogeyed all seven of my last holes and was on pace for a 45.

Tough day driving, and my second shots were a little hit or miss, but I hit some great shots with my 3h and I had a great day putting with my new Spider X - barely missed about four long putts for par and distance control was great.

Best part of the day, though, was my chipping - every attempt was a success, and my last one got me five ft from the hole. Now just need to get my 100 yard shots down, which is going to be the focus of tomorrow’s lesson.

Yay for having fun learning and playing golf!

Don't listen to him Hammy, I'm not long off the tee and my PW is right around your length. I can regularly post low/mid 80s scores on 62-6400 yard courses cause I really work my short game.
It can be a commitment but it's well worth it in my opinion. For example, things are just getting open up here and the only grass range just opened up. Monday I spent over 2 1/2 hours hitting over 200 balls concentrating on chipping from 25 to 75 yards with my 7iron to 58 lob wedge then another hour in the practice bunker. It's not for everyone, myself I would rather be playing but, I do this every spring and will do this one more time when my new Morgan Cup bag gets here and I should be good for the summer. And yes, a growler of stout was consumed so it was a good time! 😎
I love working with my wedges at the range. And I love stouts. This sounds like a great day.(y)(y)(y)

Edit: as I get my irons better, and a bit more consistent distance-wise, I'm pretty confident that I'll see the scores (when I keep one) start to drop. The last round, just being a slight bit more confident in my PW as my go-to 100 yard club freed me up to swing away with it at the green. It was a nice feeling to be comfortable at a specific distance and going for the green.

Last edited:
Well sometimes it's a step forward and two (or three or four) steps back. I played this last weekend both days with out of state relatives. Saturday and Sunday were OK. Not my best, but fun regardless, and was under 100 both days. "Played" (hacked is more like it) again on Tuesday. That was NOT under 100.
Y'know how they say a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work? It was damned ugly fer sure.
Sherwood Forest Golf Club in Fresno county comes by it's name rightfully so. Trees. And lots of 'em. Big ones. I started out with a par on the first hole. That was where the good times ended.
I had at least half a dozen fairly decent drives knocked down by clipping trees. At least that many more approach shots. And on clean middle of the fairway lies......Couldn't hit 'em clean if my life depended on it. Either thin or fat, with just a few that were clean hits.
Then, my relatives were calling putts within a putter shaft length "GIMMEEs." Except mine. For some reason, they waited while I putted it out. My putting and chipping was pretty dang good at least, except I did miss a couple short putts that were way less than their stated "GIMMEE" length. Kinda ticked me off.
So I'm not so certain that statement about "A Bad Day Golfing" is 100% accurate.
Two triples, one quad bogey, two bogies, the rest doubles except for the first hole par.
It was the kind of game that makes one question why we do this. Made me think I should stick to ridin' motorcycles and playing my banjo.

But on the realistic side, perhaps three days of golf in the last four days is just too much for this old coot.

Well sometimes it's a step forward and two (or three or four) steps back. I played this last weekend both days with out of state relatives. Saturday and Sunday were OK. Not my best, but fun regardless, and was under 100 both days. "Played" (hacked is more like it) again on Tuesday. That was NOT under 100.
Y'know how they say a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work? It was damned ugly fer sure.
Sherwood Forest Golf Club in Fresno county comes by it's name rightfully so. Trees. And lots of 'em. Big ones. I started out with a par on the first hole. That was where the good times ended.
I had at least half a dozen fairly decent drives knocked down by clipping trees. At least that many more approach shots. And on clean middle of the fairway lies......Couldn't hit 'em clean if my life depended on it. Either thin or fat, with just a few that were clean hits.
Then, my relatives were calling putts within a putter shaft length "GIMMEEs." Except mine. For some reason, they waited while I putted it out. My putting and chipping was pretty dang good at least, except I did miss a couple short putts that were way less than their stated "GIMMEE" length. Kinda ticked me off.
So I'm not so certain that statement about "A Bad Day Golfing" is 100% accurate.
Two triples, one quad bogey, two bogies, the rest doubles except for the first hole par.
It was the kind of game that makes one question why we do this. Made me think I should stick to ridin' motorcycles and playing my banjo.

But on the realistic side, perhaps three days of golf in the last four days is just too much for this old coot.
2:1 ratio of OK golf to bad golf is good. And, not to be overly generous, but if the course had penalizing overhangs in the fairway, you still hit the good shot. It's the course's fault!

What does one do when one has a revelation about one's game? Go with the newfound thoughts, which may be against the grain of standard swing theory? Or embrace the new discovery?

Let me expound.

I think I'm a naturally handsy/wristy player. A good bit of the time, when I concentrate on using them more than the body turn, my iron striking is noticeably better than when I try to leave them passive. So, (in my everlasting quest for mediocrity) I've started to go back to the "short backswing, fire the right hand" swing for my irons. It does require more timing, but, that will develop. (Thank you, Monty Sheinblum!!) I also am using this approach with my hybrids, and 7W. The hybrids, are "Meh." for the most part, and the 7W vacillates between worm burners and absolutely bombs down the fairway.

In my opinion, this has much to do with body type, age, and athletic ability.

Many people will tell you that a rotational swing is FAR better, because it allows you to keep the club face stable. It has fewer moving parts and doesn't require the timing of the traditional wrist-cock-and-unload the wrists swing. There's probably truth to that. However, I can assure you I will never achieve success without the traditional wrist-cock-and-release. I simply don't have the flexibility nor the athletic ability to rotate far or quickly enough (I'm old and fat).

But, the problem is, what we think we're doing we may not be doing at all. When we focus on our wrist-cock-and-release swing, we may be doing it all wrong and it may be a jumbled mess.

I think the best advice is to probably find a teacher with whom you can discuss your limitations and these ideas about swing philosophies. Once you can get on the same page, they can help you evaluate whether what you're doing is the right thing at all. If changes need to be made, they can help you enable those changes in a way that is consistent with that swing philosophy.

In short, you're probably right. But is what you're doing to make your swing more comfortable and appropriate the correct thing? That's where you likely need help.

Yeah! That's what it is!

I feel so much better now! Thanks for your understanding!
I was off the fairway to the left, just short of the green. Sitting behind a tree, but with enough of an angle that I could punch out past the trunk to the green, if not the flag. Punch shot goes straight up, hits a branch, and bounces behind me and to my right about ten yards. OK, same shot, different spot. Second punch goes straight up, hits the same branch, and bounces behind me and to the right about 10 yards. I pick up my ball and give it a toss out to the fairway. Chip on, 2-putt, give myself a 5.

I was off the fairway to the left, just short of the green. Sitting behind a tree, but with enough of an angle that I could punch out past the trunk to the green, if not the flag. Punch shot goes straight up, hits a branch, and bounces behind me and to my right about ten yards. OK, same shot, different spot. Second punch goes straight up, hits the same branch, and bounces behind me and to the right about 10 yards. I pick up my ball and give it a toss out to the fairway. Chip on, 2-putt, give myself a 5.
My avatar approves.

In my opinion, this has much to do with body type, age, and athletic ability.

Many people will tell you that a rotational swing is FAR better, because it allows you to keep the club face stable. It has fewer moving parts and doesn't require the timing of the traditional wrist-cock-and-unload the wrists swing. There's probably truth to that. However, I can assure you I will never achieve success without the traditional wrist-cock-and-release. I simply don't have the flexibility nor the athletic ability to rotate far or quickly enough (I'm old and fat).

But, the problem is, what we think we're doing we may not be doing at all. When we focus on our wrist-cock-and-release swing, we may be doing it all wrong and it may be a jumbled mess.

I think the best advice is to probably find a teacher with whom you can discuss your limitations and these ideas about swing philosophies. Once you can get on the same page, they can help you evaluate whether what you're doing is the right thing at all. If changes need to be made, they can help you enable those changes in a way that is consistent with that swing philosophy.

In short, you're probably right. But is what you're doing to make your swing more comfortable and appropriate the correct thing? That's where you likely need help.
Wise words, Wade. (and brilliant alliteration on my part.)

All I could hear is you whispering "Sha-a-a-a-w-w-w-n-n-n Cl-e-e-e-me-e-e-n-n-nt", though.

Funny game this golf game. Last week, I was terrible on the back nine. Shank city. This was a day after playing well on the front nine. This week we did the same. Played the front on Tuesday. The back nine yesterday. Shot a 96 total last week. This week, another 96. At least I'm consistent.

Still struggled to score well on the back nine. But I hit the ball much better so I'm not discouraged. I don't know what it is about that back nine. It used to be the easier half of the golf course for me. I guess I gotta stop saying the first 4 holes are scoring holes. Because they haven't been for me lately.

For a while I was very steady hitting a lot of bogeys with an occasional par to offset the doubles. I greatly reduced the triples. But the last two times on the back nine I had a breakdown hole. Shot an 8 on one of the easier holes to par. Pull hooked one in someone's yard. Hit my 3rd from the tee and took 5 more to get it in the cup. I also 3 putted the final hole for a triple. Those two coulda made a difference in the score if I bogeyed them. But that's ok. Weather has been great and its fun to just be out there.

Back in the late 80's I played Sherwood a few times. My memory is a little fuzzy but I remember this one hole where the trees were almost touching each other from both sides of the fairway. I was thinking "How am I gonna hit a driver through that narrow gap?" I thought about punching a low shot with my 6 iron. But I hit the driver and it woulda been good in any other fairway. Hit a tree and ended up a 75 yard drive.

Funny game this golf game. Last week, I was terrible on the back nine. Shank city. This was a day after playing well on the front nine. This week we did the same. Played the front on Tuesday. The back nine yesterday. Shot a 96 total last week. This week, another 96. At least I'm consistent.

Still struggled to score well on the back nine. But I hit the ball much better so I'm not discouraged. I don't know what it is about that back nine. It used to be the easier half of the golf course for me. I guess I gotta stop saying the first 4 holes are scoring holes. Because they haven't been for me lately.

For a while I was very steady hitting a lot of bogeys with an occasional par to offset the doubles. I greatly reduced the triples. But the last two times on the back nine I had a breakdown hole. Shot an 8 on one of the easier holes to par. Pull hooked one in someone's yard. Hit my 3rd from the tee and took 5 more to get it in the cup. I also 3 putted the final hole for a triple. Those two coulda made a difference in the score if I bogeyed them. But that's ok. Weather has been great and its fun to just be out there.
The fun is the only thing that matters!!

Back in the late 80's I played Sherwood a few times. My memory is a little fuzzy but I remember this one hole where the trees were almost touching each other from both sides of the fairway. I was thinking "How am I gonna hit a driver through that narrow gap?" I thought about punching a low shot with my 6 iron. But I hit the driver and it woulda been good in any other fairway. Hit a tree and ended up a 75 yard drive.
I'd have been making the "ninja tree trimmer" trip later that night.

Back