Trying to Break 100

Tonight was my first night golfing in over 6 months.

I played some golf as a ute before taking at least 15 years off when the urge struck me at 33 years old to try golfing again. I remember very well my feelings that day. I didn't really care much about score, I was just happy to be out in the fresh air and trying something athletic. Well, tonight was a lot like that.

The rust was apparent and I didn't score well tonight (51), but had a lot of fun. Illinois has responded very strongly to COVID and it was nice to get a little bit of normal back in my life.

The highlights of tonight were a 10 foot par putt after a nice chip and a 8 iron GIR that was converted into a par. Low lights were 2 tops, a drive that went in US Open deep rough and was lost, and a 4 iron that was hit dead right and into someone's back yard.

I don't think I'm capable of playing much worse and scored a 51. If I can stop the gross mishits and get the short game in some semblance of order I'll be alright.

Dave

Tonight was my first night golfing in over 6 months.

I played some golf as a ute before taking at least 15 years off when the urge struck me at 33 years old to try golfing again. I remember very well my feelings that day. I didn't really care much about score, I was just happy to be out in the fresh air and trying something athletic. Well, tonight was a lot like that.

The rust was apparent and I didn't score well tonight (51), but had a lot of fun. Illinois has responded very strongly to COVID and it was nice to get a little bit of normal back in my life.

The highlights of tonight were a 10 foot par putt after a nice chip and a 8 iron GIR that was converted into a par. Low lights were 2 tops, a drive that went in US Open deep rough and was lost, and a 4 iron that was hit dead right and into someone's back yard.

I don't think I'm capable of playing much worse and scored a 51. If I can stop the gross mishits and get the short game in some semblance of order I'll be alright.

Dave
Irons only? I was watching Old Man Pat last night, and watching him just bunt it down the middle time after time was a good reminder that I can still play the short ball and score moderately well. I'm going to concentrate on getting that 4-iron straightened out a bit off the tee, and I'll be shooting in the 40's.
I was watching Golf Sidekick as well, and the 4-iron is a whole lot less stress right now than a wood/hybrid.

I am starting to realize that I don't hit the ball as long as I did just a couple of months ago. Sitting on my butt, reading, is not getting any exercise. With the gym/exercise room closed, I don't get my weights and core work in, so my muscles are deteriorating. At my age, that is not a good thing. Walking 18 is okay aerobically, but I need to do some weight work. I guess my wife's 5 lb. will have to do instead of the usual 15 lb. dumbbells. 50 reps. Ah , golf in the time of plague...

Got out and played yesterday.
First round - 100 even. 50 on each side.

Started a second round and managed 80 through 16 holes before running out of daylight.
If I bogeyed the final two I'd have come away with a 90 and that would be my best score on a course of normal length.

I'm definitely figuring out a few things that are improving contact consistency, but I just have lapses here and there of executing all of them on every shot.

I removed my older (mizuno mx-25) GW and PW from my bag and replaced them with some more forgiving clubs (JPX EZ forged).
I can see difference in the flight of mishits. Definitely not very workable but I don't do much of that just yet anyway save a few par 3 tee shots. I have the 6i -9i clubheads for those JPX's laying around so I guess I'll get some shafts on them and see what happens to my GIR as a result. Hopefully fewer wayward approaches.

I am starting to realize that I don't hit the ball as long as I did just a couple of months ago. Sitting on my butt, reading, is not getting any exercise. With the gym/exercise room closed, I don't get my weights and core work in, so my muscles are deteriorating. At my age, that is not a good thing. Walking 18 is okay aerobically, but I need to do some weight work. I guess my wife's 5 lb. will have to do instead of the usual 15 lb. dumbbells. 50 reps. Ah , golf in the time of plague...
Burpees. Lots of them. I don't do them, because I hate exercise. But, all the Crossfitters love them, so, they must work.

Does anyone who regularly posts in this thread use graphite shafts on their irons? If so, what made you switch from steel?

Planks are your cores best friend. Also wall push-ups:cool::cool::cool:

In addition to the planks already mentioned. Sit on the floor with your wife's 5 lb. dumbell. lay flat, raise your legs and shoulders a few inches off the floor to make a wide V with your body. hold the weight above your waist. touch it to the floor on your left. raise and turn to touch to the floor on your right. Do not let you leg and upper body touch the floor. Do a good number of reps that you can handle. rest and repeat that number for 3 sets.

Does anyone who regularly posts in this thread use graphite shafts on their irons? If so, what made you switch from steel?

I prefer steel and am using Dynamic Gold R300s soft stepped in my irons. It is a unique feeling because they are heavy and not that stiff at the same time.

I think most of the guys who use graphite do so for 2 reasons: 1) medical to avoid the stress on the body that can come from steel shafts, graphite has much better vibration absorption properties, 2) some people hit lighter shafts farther.

I tried Cobra King OS irons with the stock 460 recoil and did not like it. I found very light and stiffer than expected was a weird feeling.

Dave

Nope, not to start. If/when practice areas open I'd like to put it through the paces and get used to them seeing the real ball flight.

Hitting into a net off a mat is not the same thing as playing on real grass on the course. I'd be really worried that I've stumbled into the fats or something that the mat is masking. I do plan to use the TE forged long term.

Right now I need to go with what I have confidence in and the G15s are a known quantity. I've had them for almost 7 years and have worked on grooving them the past couple days. I feel I'm in a good place with my golf game given the circumstances.

Well file that under stupid... I had spent the past few months whenever hitting golf balls to use the TE Forged with Dynamic Gold and then had gotten spooked about lack of seeing ball flight and went to G15 with the original AWT that I had not used in quite a while.

Bad move. Huge club heads and light shafts did not work that great on the course last night. I hit some balls in the backyard tonight and it was not going all that well either. I got out the TE Forged and started hitting the ball much better. Are they more forgiving? I highly doubt it, but I am used to them though.

I put the Pings away and will go with the Maltbys come hell or high water the rest of the year. No more screwing around with the WITB!

I highly encourage anyone else who is a chronic tweaker like me to leave the darn clubs alone and play golf. I think you'll be much better off for it.

Dave

I prefer steel and am using Dynamic Gold R300s soft stepped in my irons. It is a unique feeling because they are heavy and not that stiff at the same time.

I think most of the guys who use graphite do so for 2 reasons: 1) medical to avoid the stress on the body that can come from steel shafts, graphite has much better vibration absorption properties, 2) some people hit lighter shafts farther.

I tried Cobra King OS irons with the stock 460 recoil and did not like it. I found very light and stiffer than expected was a weird feeling.
Thank you for the reply Dave.

I do. I switched primarily for the weight savings/feel. I tried some steel shafts in a swing bay recently, and they were a bit too heavy for me.

I have not tried graphite in irons yet. I did have my PW and GW shafted with lightweight steel recently though. (XP-95)
I like them quite a bit, but I think I'll use a 105 weight in the rest of my irons. The 95's just launch a bit too high and that can work for wedges, but I'd like to stay mid-high with the irons.

I do. I switched primarily for the weight savings/feel. I tried some steel shafts in a swing bay recently, and they were a bit too heavy for me.

Do you know the weight of your graphite iron shafts?

Better feel, more shock absorption. I switched because of an elbow issue, and the pain after a round is gone now.
It is just a matter of trying different shafts to get the correct one for the ball flight you want and the weight you want

Well file that under stupid... I had spent the past few months whenever hitting golf balls to use the TE Forged with Dynamic Gold and then had gotten spooked about lack of seeing ball flight and went to G15 with the original AWT that I had not used in quite a while.

Bad move. Huge club heads and light shafts did not work that great on the course last night. I hit some balls in the backyard tonight and it was not going all that well either. I got out the TE Forged and started hitting the ball much better. Are they more forgiving? I highly doubt it, but I am used to them though.

I put the Pings away and will go with the Maltbys come hell or high water the rest of the year. No more screwing around with the WITB!

I highly encourage anyone else who is a chronic tweaker like me to leave the darn clubs alone and play golf. I think you'll be much better off for it.

Dave
If
Do you know the weight of your graphite iron shafts?
74g is for the G25s, I have the G20, so I think it's probably close to that.

Dave
Stop picking that scab!! (your parents)

12 years ago, I was fitted for steel and hit them well. 8 years ago, the fitter switched me to graphite and the same the last 2 times. Age related, I'll wager, but I don't see any reason to go back to steel shafts. (Except for wedges)

hmmmm...I wonder if I should look into graphite iron shafts. WIth my bum shoulder...could be a little lighter of an impact on me. I have felt okay the last couple rounds of 9 holes...but I dunno. I was playing Callaway steelhead X16's and liked them enough...then realizing I needed to probably look at regular flex on all my clubs, I switched to TaylorMade Rocketbladez...frankly...not sure which I prefer. The TM's sometimes feel a little heavier and they have less loft (I think that's how they "trick" you into getting more distance). I'm not sure it was a great purchase, I guess, is my point, but I'm still playing with them. THen again...when I bought them, my frequency of playing went down and I hurt myself...so....I haven't given 'em a fair shake.

Might be time to finally go get fitted for irons though....maybe I'll finally treat myself.

hmmmm...I wonder if I should look into graphite iron shafts. WIth my bum shoulder...could be a little lighter of an impact on me. I have felt okay the last couple rounds of 9 holes...but I dunno. I was playing Callaway steelhead X16's and liked them enough...then realizing I needed to probably look at regular flex on all my clubs, I switched to TaylorMade Rocketbladez...frankly...not sure which I prefer. The TM's sometimes feel a little heavier and they have less loft (I think that's how they "trick" you into getting more distance). I'm not sure it was a great purchase, I guess, is my point, but I'm still playing with them. THen again...when I bought them, my frequency of playing went down and I hurt myself...so....I haven't given 'em a fair shake.

Might be time to finally go get fitted for irons though....maybe I'll finally treat myself.

Rocketbladez/Speedblades are both very good iron sets. Graphite may be a good pick with a shoulder injury.

Dave

Rocketbladez/Speedblades are both very good iron sets. Graphite may be a good pick with a shoulder injury.

Dave

Not giving up on them yet. Like I said I hurt myself shorty after picking them up. For my first times playing in a while recently and being protective of the shoulder - I can’t complain much. Maybe I’ll get used to them as I keep playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Speedblades for a while and there's a distinctive sound, but man does the ball fly! Awesome irons. Should have never gotten rid of them.

Dave

I used Speedblades for a while and there's a distinctive sound, but man does the ball fly! Awesome irons. Should have never gotten rid of them.

Dave
Probably one of the best sets of irons that had forgiveness and distance.

I'm just grasping at straws with the graphite shafts at this point. Other than a little arthritis in my fingers, I don't have any serious joint pain even at 59 (at least I didn't before typing that;)). While I don't have great rotational speed, I don't think the lack of club head speed and the distances I'm getting are holding me back as much as I'm just lost out there on how to swing a golf club. Maybe light steel shafts is a better solution.

My full swing is a hot mess right now... as in worse than when I first started playing. It's so bad that it's more comical than it is frustrating. Lol. I have to get it sorted out before I can get out and play any more this year. It was pretty bad all of last year as well. The only thing I've changed over that period of time is switching from the 10-finger to an interlocking grip.

I'm just grasping at straws with the graphite shafts at this point. Other than a little arthritis in my fingers, I don't have any serious joint pain even at 59 (at least I didn't before typing that;)). While I don't have great rotational speed, I don't think the lack of club head speed and the distances I'm getting are holding me back as much as I'm just lost out there on how to swing a golf club. Maybe light steel shafts is a better solution.

My full swing is a hot mess right now... as in worse than when I first started playing. It's so bad that it's more comical than it is frustrating. Lol. I have to get it sorted out before I can get out and play any more this year. It was pretty bad all of last year as well. The only thing I've changed over that period of time is switching from the 10-finger to an interlocking grip.

My ball striking was is in a rough patch and I've since concentrated on swinging through the front of the ball and my contact has improved a lot. The long club tops have gone away.

The answer is probably in the dirt.

Dave

Back